• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Course on Belle Isle in Detroit, MI - Need your help

tritpens

I submitted my proposal to the Director of Parks and Rec in Detroit and it went very well. I asked for the money required to pay for the baskets and I said we could raise the rest of the money for tee pads, etc. through fundraising. Now all that needs to happen is this project needs to be approved by the board for financing. They don't really have an idea of how many people actually play disc golf, let alone, what it really is. So we've created a facebook page to show how much interest there is in the sport and the course. If you could just please write a small blurb on the wall saying why there should be a disc golf course in the city, or even just like the page, that would be great.

belleislelink.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Detroit-Needs-a-Disc-Golf-Course-on-Belle-Isle/193523377385194?sk=wall

That would be super cool. I don't do the FB thing though, so is there any other way we can voice our opinions for non-facebookers?

2nd the no facebook. But I signed the petition. If anything goes through I would be more than happy to volunteer my time with this. Please keep us updated on here!

I've always thought Belle Isle would be a great place for a course (Easily the best piece of land in Detroit for it). Hope it goes down!

Last edited:
Signed the petition and I'll talk to my wife about getting over to the FB page. Have you looked into posting this information at any of the local courses? Getting the word out to the various club events could go a long way. In fact, you could set up at league nights with a computer and sign people up on the spot.

Good luck.

^^^It's advertised on a picnic table, hole #1 at Stony Creek. Too bad it was sharpied onto the table next to all the other crap people put on there. Good luck in your quest, I'm trying to get something going 40 miles north of ya.

BTW, Make sure they put the locking collars on them. People be stealing anything these days, especially in Metro Detroit areas. I just underestimated the craftiness of theives this weekend, but I guess they need to get their crack money somewhere.

Last edited:
There will be a fundraiser tournament at the course on belle isle on November 6th. Should be up on the scene in a day or so. Awaiting approval.

this is sweet!! i am in southfield so if you guys need any help or support let me know and ill try to make it out there... being a poor college student i currently have no funds for tourney (trying to convince dad to "sponsor" since he grew up in detroit and went to belle isle a lot :p) good luck guys!!

Very nice write-up on the efforts to get a course on Belle Isle. Great publicity for the cause. Great PR acumen on behalf of the project organizers. Keep up the great work!

One more plug for the tournament coming up THIS WEEKEND to raise funds for the new course.

The guys behind this (Chris Haag and Joe Robinson) have been working their collective tail off and it is showing. Current sponsor list includes:

Up In The Air Disc Golf of Waterford - Supplying all 18 metal baskets and party tents
Founders Brewery of Grand Rapids - CTP Prizes and Beer
Slows BBQ - Catering the lunch
Avalon Bakery of Detroit - Gift Package
Clarkston Woodshop - 3 $25 Gift Certificates

More details:
http://www.discgolfscene.com/tourna...urse_On_Belle_Isle_Fundraiser_Tournament_2011

Last edited: