• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Doctor: Injury prevention, form, and exercise

WOW. The hip flexor stretch from the first video on knee injuries alleviated all of my knee issues and pain almost instantly. Thanks for making these vids.

Hey Doc, what do you recommend for mild AC joint pain/crunchiness? I separated my shoulder about 2 years ago in an accident.

Hey Doc, what do you recommend for mild AC joint pain/crunchiness? I separated my shoulder about 2 years ago in an accident.

I'm not doc, but I have torn a rotator cuff and sprained an AC joint, separate occasions.

What helped both is swimming laps, not at a competitive pace but just at a training pace. Doing light weight training (and I mean light - I was doing 5-10 lb shoulder press) and a consistent swimming routine got it back to 100% in less than a month. And I had been recovering for a year after surgery at that point. Hope this helps a bit.

Hey doc,

My knee has been making some loud "popping" sound, and it's been hard to do squats for like a few months and walking up steep stairs.

Is there anything I can do to strengthen the knee? or should i use a knee brace ? or rest?

Thanks!

Here is the video on scapular stabilization exercise. Had one thread but the admin that was going to manage it hasn't been too responsive.

https://youtu.be/FUWJoNnsXZ0

Doc, great appreciation for you information.

I've dealt with joint issues in my knees and shoulders since my teens. Been through numerous rounds of PT for various issues.

These are great exercises for both recovery and maintenance. But, "we" have limited time. I want to practice DG, do some additional training plus balance in some therapeutic exercise.

Any recommendations?

Hope this makes sense. When everything feels good or at least okay, it's hard to spend extra time or sacrifice intense training to do therapeutic exercise. How does one balance those things?

Just wanted to say I came to the board tonight because I've aggravated an old knee injury and was looking for new stretches to alleviate it. I didn't even know about this sticky, but I found it, and the hip flexors in the first video immediately made my knee so much better. It's amazing. I stretch every day but that particular one just zapped away my tightness and pain. I'm working on putting together a disc golf-oriented fitness regimen, and I'm gonna dig into this whole series for tips.

Thank you so much doc.

Hey, Doc ive been doing a lot of field work and afterwards i have a sciatica type of pain on my left side from my butt to my knee. My left hip has been super stiff and doing the frog stretch and horse stance isnt easy. Heat usually takes away any discomfort but id love to not have to deal with this after every session!

Hey, Doc ive been doing a lot of field work and afterwards i have a sciatica type of pain on my left side from my butt to my knee. My left hip has been super stiff and doing the frog stretch and horse stance isnt easy. Heat usually takes away any discomfort but id love to not have to deal with this after every session!

I ain't no doctor, but this popped into my YouTube recommendations today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pim88_Sce_Y

I am duck footed. When I stand with my toes pointing in parallel, my knees point inward.

Any tips or thoughts around how I should approach for training with this in mind? I assume this might impact things like how I engage my lower half.

Thanks!

I am duck footed. When I stand with my toes pointing in parallel, my knees point inward.

Any tips or thoughts around how I should approach for training with this in mind? I assume this might impact things like how I engage my lower half.

Thanks!
I think the Dr. is no longer hanging around.

You should be setup in your natural/neutral joint alignment, so your feet will naturally point more outward than most. You should be able to move pain free and without restriction.

I believe Ken Climo and Adam Hammes are duck footed, so that would likely be a good starting point/model. Kevin Jones is definitely pigeon toed, so you will look quite different from him.

I talk a little about this in here.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3432639#post3432639
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139973

Thanks!

One other learner tip - there will be a natural standing position to build from as SW22 suggests. I had some additional trouble figuring out & overthinking my feet, so here's something that helped me move more easily.

Since your rear/drive leg will be moving you targetward with a closed shoulder, there should be a natural "sweet spot". Stand in a natural position with your center of gravity between your feet. Pick up your plant/front/targetward foot slightly. This should make you fall "sideways" toward the target. Notice that your rear/drive leg will naturally extend a little bit if you don't move that rear foot.

Then, try it by letting your rear/drive leg help accelerate you into that plant step. You should be able to extend your rear calf/quad/glute ("Triple Extension") to accelerate you toward the target and into the plant. It should feel as natural as walking forward once you get the hang of it. It shouldn't feel like you're getting jammed, and it shouldn't feel like you're reaching/hanging in the air.

Try not to get hung up too much in exact angles etc. As SW22 shows, they'll vary person to person, and even from throw to throw depending on the shot.

Last edited:
Hi Dr. I got a neck kink two days ago, I'm curious if this can be related to disc golf as I'm playing quite a bit. I did play earlier that same day but did not notice anything but later the evening suddenly I could not turn my head to the right without it hurting.

I did also get a ball kicked hard in my head the day before playing football, so this might be maybe a more likely reason. Just curious if this could relate to any bad technique of mine.