• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf does not need "golf"

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
The thing holding dg back IMO is the connection with ball golf.
Apples and oranges. Opposite ends of the spectrum. Why persist with the charade ????

Ball golf=Daytona 500
Disc golf=Tour de France

Ball golf= Ted Knight
"DG"= Rodney Dangerfield
it aint the same sport

The thing holding dg back IMO is the connection with ball golf.
Apples and oranges. Opposite ends of the spectrum. Why persist with the charade ????

e333333.png

I think if they'd cover a few events (Vibram Open? or USDGC?) the way they cover big ball golf events I think it would be more fun and interesting to watch than ball golf.
You're right, though, I don't feel there's a whole lot of correlation between the two sports other than "get ball/disc into target" aspect.

I think if they'd cover a few events (Vibram Open? or USDGC?) the way they cover big ball golf events I think it would be more fun and interesting to watch than ball golf.
You're right, though, I don't feel there's a whole lot of correlation between the two sports other than "get ball/disc into target" aspect.
Might as well call it disc and drop the golf.

Ball golf has always ignored us. at best, and shunned or dismissed us at worst. I also say that we go our own way, screw them! They had to call the sport something though, and although we use plastic and chains instead of ball and cup, we still share alot in the way the game is played, and in the terminology.

"When a ball dreams, it dreams its a Frisbee". Dr Johnson.

How about we call it Frolf?

*dodges rotten tomatoes*

Do I need to tell the story again? Frolf is no good, but Folf was once considerd perfectly acceptable!

Ridiculous thread, retarded idea. If you can't appreciate the similarities and unbreakable link between golf and disc golf then it's pretty safe to say you're not very good at either...

There are differences in the sports for sure but there are more similarities than differences...and I've seen disc golfers get just as clique-y and judgmental as they accuse golfers of being.

I think some discers cling to 'ball golf' in hopes of it adding legitimacy and eventually growth and mass cultural acceptance for this sport. These discers are probably either young and hope to cash in (nothing wrong with that) or the type of person that craves acceptance or being part of some group.

I say screw 'em. We should stay discers and form our own traditions and culture. I for one don't want to have to wear any collars when I play. Or funny looking pants, shorts or stinkin' visors. And Icertainly hope we don't get as snooty as those ballers.

There is no link between disc and ball golf.

Ask yourself, is this what we want disc golf to become?

july17_fowler_299x444.jpg

Latest posts