• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf does not need "golf"

As mentioned earlier, skiing/snowboarding is a perfect illustration.
Skiing=traditional Snowboarding=new,innovative
The differences between ball golf and dg are far greater than the differences between skiing and snowboarding. Why share the same name ?

A golf swing and dg throw do share amazingly similar mechanics.

Relaxed backswing, straight arm, relaxed pull, hit, using your hips and core to drive through, smooth follow through, curse at tree.

Chiefstang: 1
OP: 0wned

The OP isn't even reading logic rebuttals he's just posting more of his dense crap. His analogy is even ridiculous as he takes two separate pairs of sports with lots of similarities and claims each share nothing in common.

His argument boils down to this: One sport attracts a different economic demographic than the other so they can in no way have anything in common. He's not even addressing the mechanics of the sport, only the (incomplete) stereotype of the average player.

Mando = fail. Thread = trolltacular. I wipe my hands of it. This thread has contributed nothing to the sport or the site.

then give us a better name or please stfu.
Hey listen, I hate to break this to you, but I can't take anyone seriously with a Buck Showalter avatar. Birds of a feather...

Bucket!

OK... lemme share an idea

Let's call the game Bucket. You'd call your friends up and ask if they wanna go down to the course and Bucket awhile? You tell your co-workers you're just gonna Bucket this weekend. Wanna Bucket a round?

This idea will work even better if we proceed with the associated idea of abandoning the entrapment device part of the test. Toss the disc in the bucket. No chains. Just a bucket. And wow - buckets are cheap and come in bright colors. I admit it makes discing more like ball golf and there's no denying the sound of the chains. Chains are pretty bleeping sweet. Since we're talking about making tossing the plastic different from whacking the ball, then the chains ringing out for a great shot is way cooler than a ball dropping. No reason we can't have chain bucket courses and hole bucket courses though.

I'm not entirely joking here. Playing Bucket could start a revolution in the game. Putting from 25' getting just too easy for you? Think there's a great golf course down at the park? Would you play a no-chains Bucket course? Would you play in a just-a-bucket tourney?

Well hell guys... let's do it. Just Bucket!

With all the pesticides, fertilizers, and tremendous amount of water needed to keep a golf course, I'd say the planet wouldn't mind a dip in golf's popularity.

This post from left field is brought to you by BroDaveCo. BroDaveCo, building a better future, occasionally.

There is money to support all of those things. It doesn't matter what the planet wants if there is money.
Just a truth.

Hey listen, I hate to break this to you, but I can't take anyone seriously with a Buck Showalter avatar. Birds of a feather...

That's all you got? Attack on an avatar?
facepalm1.gif

wh-double-facepalm%2525252525255B1%2525252525255D.jpg

Totally agree we do not need ball golf. I'm running for the PDGA board on the "We're Not Like BG " ticket. Please consider voting for me. You get 4 votes. Here's my statement:

"Our PDGA is doing well. Disc golf's future is bright. We are growing year after year regardless of the recession. However, I feel our organization has been getting a little too "ball-golfy." From my position as senior editor of DiscGolfer, it sometimes seems as if we're trying to emulate ball golf's boring white bread image. Rather, I'd like to see us celebrate, and take advantage of, disc golf's alternative nature.

Vote sent go get'em