• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf does not need "golf"

As mentioned earlier, skiing/snowboarding is a perfect illustration.
Skiing=traditional Snowboarding=new,innovative
The differences between ball golf and dg are far greater than the differences between skiing and snowboarding. Why share the same name ?

As mentioned earlier, skiing/snowboarding is a perfect illustration.
Skiing=traditional Snowboarding=new,innovative
The differences between ball golf and dg are far greater than the differences between skiing and snowboarding. Why share the same name ?

Only because golf is golf. Anyone who has played both games knows in their puny little body that a rip off the tee feels exactly the same whether your swinging a 3 wood or lighting a Tee Bird up.

When I take off my shirt, I always hear the "Chi-Chi Chia!" Chia Pet jingle...that and a lot of screaming.

If we had the manicured lawns that they played on, then I would be cool. I saw pics of the Japan Open and almost cried...it was so beautiful...(sniffle)

Wait 'till everybody sees Widener. It's a bolf style course made just for dg. Mowed, shaped fairways, bunkers... It's been pretty dry here, so it's not as green as it could be, but it looks fantastic now!

Only because golf is golf. Anyone who has played both games knows in their puny little body that a rip off the tee feels exactly the same whether your swinging a 3 wood or lighting a Tee Bird up.
The first part

The first part of stepping onto a ball golf tee, is checking the OOB and then my wallet.
The first part if stepping onto a DG tee is picking a line.

A golf swing and dg throw do share amazingly similar mechanics.

Relaxed backswing, straight arm, relaxed pull, hit, using your hips and core to drive through, smooth follow through, curse at tree.

The first part of stepping onto a ball golf tee, is checking the OOB and then my wallet.
The first part if stepping onto a DG tee is picking a line.

you seem obsessed with the cultural and financial differences between the two. maybe you should get a better job so you can afford to play bolf and then we won't have to listen to your bs.

then give us a better name or please stfu.

Seconded. As I said before, what's your problem, OP?

You're right in that disc golf has nothing to do with ball golf, if you ignore the whole "disc golf is modeled after ball golf" thing.

I'm wondering how this thread hasn't found the landfill yet.

you seem obsessed with the cultural and financial differences between the two. maybe you should get a better job so you can afford to play bolf and then we won't have to listen to your bs.

Agreed, and for the record I have never been as drunk playing a sport as when I ran a golf cart into a tree trying to play "polo" a few years back. :D

I can't afford to play ball golf every day, but I enjoy the hell out of it when I do get a chance, for me it's about the only sport I share with the rest of my family. Yes it costs, but I work for a living and my share of the foursome is about the same or less than I drop on dyeable plastic every week ($50ish). I always enjoy sitting in the clubhouse drinking with people, and the only time I've ever talked about an Audi was when my older brother had just bought a used one. Most ball golfers are just people, same problems, same issues. I haven't had the luxury of playing at a country club, I'm assuming they have the same issues as everyone else, with the exception of the $40k a year country club membership. It doesn't bother me, I have better things to worry about than what elitist pricks think or do.
Why this is even an issue is beyond me, without golf there would be no Disc Golf, it's only a name that describes exactly what the sport is about to the layperson.. if you want to call it Chain Banging then do so, but people understand golf and how it's played.

Agreed, and for the record I have never been as drunk playing a sport as when I ran a golf cart into a tree trying to play "polo" a few years back. :D

I can't afford to play ball golf every day, but I enjoy the hell out of it when I do get a chance, for me it's about the only sport I share with the rest of my family. Yes it costs, but I work for a living and my share of the foursome is about the same or less than I drop on dyeable plastic every week ($50ish). I always enjoy sitting in the clubhouse drinking with people, and the only time I've ever talked about an Audi was when my older brother had just bought a used one. Most ball golfers are just people, same problems, same issues. I haven't had the luxury of playing at a country club, I'm assuming they have the same issues as everyone else, with the exception of the $40k a year country club membership. It doesn't bother me, I have better things to worry about than what elitist pricks think or do.
Why this is even an issue is beyond me, without golf there would be no Disc Golf, it's only a name that describes exactly what the sport is about to the layperson.. if you want to call it Chain Banging then do so, but people understand golf and how it's played.

Homerun quote! oh shot, thats baseball

can we win this by calling neither of them golf?

i practice both, but personally

disc = fun
ball = business

Last edited:
I have a couple of friends in England and they always correct me when I say Soccer and they correct it by saying Football.. do we really need more of this kind of crap by renaming the sport.. and while we are being foolish why doesn't the OP send Vibram, Discraft, Innova, Gateway, Lat64 and all the other comapnies that make their money supporting disc golf and ask them to please change their wording so they can call it something else..

I find this thread amusing in it's stupidity, probably why I am following it. lol

Wow, this thread has taken on a life of its own! My take is still that ball golf is a fun game that people like to play and disc golf is also a fun game that people like to play. Those are enough similarities for me on most days. For those that don't think disc golf is getting the 'respect' in deserves in comparison to the other golf, I say LIGHTEN UP! I posted this before, but I really do find this entertaining (not least of which is because of the hot blonde chic)...

i've seen both ends of the spectrum in the ball golf world. growing up i played a lot with my grandfather at a few of the public courses. that was always fun and laid back. you'd get a few stuck up arrogant *******s every once in awhile but you get that with discers too.

when i got older my friend's parents owned a country club. so we'd get to play quite a bit there. that was night and day. obviously we had to act accordingly but you could tell the atmosphere was stuffy compared to the public courses. the golfers there kind of turned me off of ball golf for a little while.

then i discovered disc golf. i could still "golf" but i didnt have to buy or rent expensive clubs, reserve tee times, buy balls, deal with snobby people, etc. i'll still ball golf every once in awhile, usually for bar outings and whatnot, and i still enjoy it. but i'd rather be discing.

the history of ball golf will alaways be around, you can be hard in the brain and say its a pussys game or it sucks and stuff like thaat but the truth is? with out no ball golf there will be no disc golf, as time goes on disc golf will grow and the legacy of the sport will bloom as in ball golf, but one thing is for sure ball golf sucks and disc golf rocks

With all the pesticides, fertilizers, and tremendous amount of water needed to keep a golf course, I'd say the planet wouldn't mind a dip in golf's popularity.

This post from left field is brought to you by BroDaveCo. BroDaveCo, building a better future, occasionally.