• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf For Old Guys

Only 52. I play 3 to 8 rounds a week. I know I'll have to cut back pretty soon, but I'm having more fun now than I have since college.

Only 40 here, but feel older than that because I started playing in high school. In fact, I joined up with a group of 20-somethings at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo tonight and smoked all of their young skinny-puppy asses!

Love the comments! :) I'm also usually the oldest in our group, which is mainly a bunch of 20-30+ year olds. I will say this, playing with these guys have really upped my game. They're a great bunch of guys, but it's obvious they do not like getting beat by the old guy once in awhile. ;)

Simply NO DOUBT playing smarter is more important than how far you can throw. Granted, it does help to be able to at least chunk it out there 250+, but if you can make some great decisions on your approach shot, that's where it's going to keep you in the game. Learn those hyzer / anhyzer shots! Your tree shots will thank you!!

Another area we can compete with the best of them is putting. We really HAVE to be able to putt decently from 50ft out. Yah... it's a biatch, but if we can land a few putts from 50ft out, that's another area where we can gain a stroke or 2 once in awhile. I'm getting better, my comfort zone is still only around 30ft or so, but I am nailing more longer putts once in awhile. And don't forget, in order to get better you HAVE to go for it occasionally, don't just lay up all the time. ;)

I can play all day, but once I stop... the tin man kicks in. lol.. Never knew how much I would end up loving the Jacuzzi. lol...

https://www.facebook.com/discgolfforoldguys

On the course I feel like an old guy, but in this threaad I'm a young man
I just turned 44
The whole reason I started playing, was to get out, and get some exercise.

"The whole reason I started playing, was to get out, and get some exercise." - Same with me Mattc. Hell... I've lost 200-lbs the past 2 years playing disc golf!! I just never knew this game would be so addicting. It has just enough balance of physical / mental play to keep it fresh every time on a course.

I love this game, I'll be 56 in less than a month and do my best to keep up with the youngsters. It also makes for a good nights sleep.

43 and due for a knee replacement. Disc golf somehow qualifies me as a cool old guy to the young pups who work for me. Well, that and the decade of Dead shows I saw.

Who cares how old we are, if you can still put the disc in the chains.

Playing smart is the key. I'm 44 and just gone back from a road trip to KC. Most of the young guys on the trip could throw farther than me but they can't approach or putt. I could hang with them or beat them every round!

Playing smart is the key. I'm 44 and just gone back from a road trip to KC. Most of the young guys on the trip could throw farther than me but they can't approach or putt. I could hang with them or beat them every round!
I come across this a lot. They get to within 30' of the basket 1 throw less than I do, they miss the putt and I make mine and we tie again. :thmbup: :popcorn:

Not 50 yet, but not too far away... will be able to play in Grand Masters in another year and change.
You know you're old when you have trouble lifting your 138g disc :doh:
Funny, how 12 ounces doesn't seem to be a problem!

I come across this a lot. They get to within 30' of the basket 1 throw less than I do, they miss the putt and I make mine and we tie again. :thmbup: :popcorn:

You know what they call young guys who can bomb off the tee, then approach and putt well? Pros.

Last edited:
Grey beards represent!

60 in 3 weeks.

Playing is a big part of my life, and along with eating less its a big part of my weight loss program. With the possibility of diabetes in my future, I've taken the better eating and weight loss thing seriously. Lost 20 pounds since the beginning of May.

With all my broken body parts thankfully there is disc golf to keep me active. Even as old as I am the competitive fire still burns. And nothing beats out throwing or even better whupping them youngins. :D And yet I have a buddy who just turned 70 and he routinely takes my cash. :eek:

Like I always say, "You gotta grow old, but you don't have to grow up!"

Growing the sport...upward

Got a quick story to tell. I recently participated in the National Senior Games in Cleveland, and recommend it to anyone who'll be 50 or older by 2015 (Minneapolis, if they adopt DG...it was a demonstration sport this time).

My family came along, and my folks visited from TX (we have 5 birthdays in July, so it wasn't just to see me play). My dad got inspired watching folks even older than himself having such a good time out there. He doesn't play, but ball golfed until recently, and we threw Wham-Os a ton together in the '70's. He decided, since he'll turn 80 that year, he was going to give this a try. I set him up with a bag of discs, and gave him a listing from DGCR of the flat nine holers in his area, to start out. I'm actually a bit fired up about this! :thmbup:

ha..I see this quite often as well. :) And then I just try to keep pace and keep an eye on those shorter holes where I have a chance for bird and hope they miss the putt! :) lol...

Everytime I see a young buck practicing his putts, I'm like..."meh..your putts are fine, keep working on those long drives!" ;)

Oh yeah play smarter not harder. I started last year with my 12 yr old son and we practice and play together all the time. It's definitely a motivator to not get beat by a kid. He drives farther than me but I have a pretty good approach game and putting usually saves my butt. Great fun and an excellent way to spend time together. I'll be one of those grandmasters in a few years that only drives 250' but putts 150' !! I hope!

I'm 52. I've also figured out the hard way that, at my age, I'm not going to out throw the guys I play with, who are mostly in their late 20s. I used to try to keep up on distance, but that's when the trouble starts. If I try to purposely throw as far as I can, the disc could go anywhere, but if I play within my capabilities, I personally make up the strokes with deadly up shots. I've basically been forced to make this part of my game the equalizer. I REALLY need to improve my putting because if I could do that, I'd probably beat my friends half the time. I can tell that some of them start getting serous real quick if I hang with them for a good part of the course. None of them really wants to be the guy that loses to an old man.

Got a quick story to tell. I recently participated in the National Senior Games in Cleveland, and recommend it to anyone who'll be 50 or older by 2015 (Minneapolis, if they adopt DG...it was a demonstration sport this time).

My family came along, and my folks visited from TX (we have 5 birthdays in July, so it wasn't just to see me play). My dad got inspired watching folks even older than himself having such a good time out there. He doesn't play, but ball golfed until recently, and we threw Wham-Os a ton together in the '70's. He decided, since he'll turn 80 that year, he was going to give this a try. I set him up with a bag of discs, and gave him a listing from DGCR of the flat nine holers in his area, to start out. I'm actually a bit fired up about this! :thmbup:

Dang I wanted to play in those games. But I wasn't cleared to play after the surgery by the deadline. Next year if its held in Cleveland again for sure. I played the first 3 years in NY's Empire State Senior Games. It was and is my favorite event of the year. The one thing you can't do though is use your old age as an excuse. :D

Oh how I wish I would feel like I did in my 40s or 50s (these guys are still almost in their prime). 66 next Friday, usually play 2+ rounds/day, provide course maintenance; never have any pain, definitely lost distance with age. Still keep up with the youngens although usually lose by a few throws (more on really long courses). Played a par 66 beast (Angry Beaver) with 5 others this AM; if I got strokes for age while playing with "kids" (my formula is 2 throws for every 5 yrs that I'm older--if my opponent is 36 and I'm 66 that results in a 12 stroke handicap) in which case I tied or won! Or at least felt like I did. These kids still cannot figure out how I can throw a 250' roller through a heavily rooted and wooded hole. Mentally, I like this 2 strokes/5 yr age difference handicap once gray hair starts appearing.

Planning to play into my 90s!

Latest posts