• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in North Carolina

The toughest decision for you will be whether you pretend to be a NC St, Duke or UNC fan. Good luck.

LOL. As a SOUTH Carolina fan, I remember traveling up there for road games and thinking I was entering hostile territory. As it turns out, no matter who we were playing, two-thirds of the population was on our side, because they hated our opponent so much.

LOL. As a SOUTH Carolina fan, I remember traveling up there for road games and thinking I was entering hostile territory. As it turns out, no matter who we were playing, two-thirds of the population was on our side, because they hated our opponent so much.

Fully knowing that in 49 states, "Carolina" means UNC, I enjoy calling USC "Carolina" just to irritate those bastards in baby blue. I disliked USC for two games over the last decade, but any time you guys play UNC, go Gamecocks! ABC, baby.

Especially if you like to do course work, Charlotte is the place for you.

Fully knowing that in 49 states, "Carolina" means UNC, I enjoy calling USC "Carolina" just to irritate those bastards in baby blue. I disliked USC for two games over the last decade, but any time you guys play UNC, go Gamecocks! ABC, baby.

And in 100% of the world, USC = Trojans. Fight on!

And in 100% of the world, USC = Trojans. Fight on!

If the Trojans had been around as long as the Gamecocks have been U.S.C., they'd be U.N.M (University of Northern Mexico). And we'll claim at least equal rights to "Carolina", too.

Sorry, gmoney, if you think this is thread drift....but if you're really considering moving to Raleigh, you'll need to know this stuff.

I've lived fairly close to the border (NC/SC) for the vast majority of my life, and I get slightly perplexed whenever I hear some one refer to the University of South Carolina as "Carolina". And I went to NC State.

If the Trojans had been around as long as the Gamecocks have been U.S.C., they'd be U.N.M (University of Northern Mexico). And we'll claim at least equal rights to "Carolina", too.

Sorry, gmoney, if you think this is thread drift....but if you're really considering moving to Raleigh, you'll need to know this stuff.

http://www.sc.edu/about/our_history/

I'm not sure South Carolina alumni should be that proud of it's history prior to 1906 (becoming a University instead of a college). In fact, University of Southern California has been a university longer than South Carolina.

Note that I have no skin in this fight.

....but it does say that it had gone back & forth from College to University, and that 1906 was when it made the final change to a "University". For that's worth. I'll always consider those westerners usurpers of our name, and those northerners selfish claimants to a name we share equally, and no amount of mere history will change my opinion!

You must be a Clemson fan???

I've lived fairly close to the border (NC/SC) for the vast majority of my life, and I get slightly perplexed whenever I hear some one refer to the University of South Carolina as "Carolina". And I went to NC State.

Why would it make any more sense to hear North Carolina referred to as just "Carolina"? Other than, you went to N.C. State and heard it a lot?

Well, that an 120,000 more wins in basketball.

I heard it a lot way before I ever set foot on campus at NC State. I think it goes back to the basketball thing. The fact that Billy Packer and Jim Thacker were broadcasting a "Carolina" basketball game once or twice a week all winter during my formative years, and that was before we had cable tv, so there wasn't a whole lot else to watch, and so it became ingrained. I don't think I've ever watched anything more than highlights of a South Carolina basketball game. I don't know that there's been one on broadcast tv in the Charlotte market since they left the ACC. I've probably heard the University of North Carolina referred to as "Carolina" at least 1,000 times for every time I've heard the University of South Carolina referred to as "Carolina".

Latest posts