• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

That's the thing-if you want to just think of DG as a recreational activity, and go out and throw 300' max smacking random trees along the way, you can. Go have fun.

Or you can watch 50 sidewinder videos and try to fathom the complex aerodynamics and body mechanics involved when someone as diminutive as Paige smashes a disc 500'.

Or try your best to understand how Simon, Eagle and others can get that piece of plastic to go 650', seemingly as effortless as your grunt and expletive laden 300' drives.

Or watch as James Conrad runs 30' full speed sideways and pipes one 450' through a gap you couldn't shoot an arrow through.

Or watch Paul and Ricky or these days Gannon and Isaac drain more 50' putts than they miss.

THEN you realize yeah, this IS a sport.

So many good points!! :clap:
Sounds like the start of a new thread ... "You know Disc Golf is a sport, when ... "

Other guy said "As a real golfer, it's hard to take seriously.

Yep, this guy looks serious. Honestly tho, if you saw this guy out at local dubs you wouldn't think twice that he was a discer. Add a bluetooth speaker playing classic rock and it's 1/2 the guys in Texas.

John-daly.jpg

Yep, this guy looks serious. Honestly tho, if you saw this guy out at local dubs you wouldn't think twice that he was a discer. Add a bluetooth speaker playing classic rock and it's 1/2 the guys in Texas.

John-daly.jpg

JD!!

Yep, that's a "real golfer", with 19 Pro Wins, including 2 Majors.
Speaking of dubs, just won a dubs title (PNC Championship) last year with his son.

That's the thing-if you want to just think of DG as a recreational activity, and go out and throw 300' max smacking random trees along the way, you can. Go have fun.

Or you can watch 50 sidewinder videos and try to fathom the complex aerodynamics and body mechanics involved when someone as diminutive as Paige smashes a disc 500'.

Or try your best to understand how Simon, Eagle and others can get that piece of plastic to go 650', seemingly as effortless as your grunt and expletive laden 300' drives.

Or watch as James Conrad runs 30' full speed sideways and pipes one 450' through a gap you couldn't shoot an arrow through.

Or watch Paul and Ricky or these days Gannon and Isaac drain more 50' putts than they miss.

THEN you realize yeah, this IS a sport.

I think, if you trying to prop up disc golf, as a sport, on the backs of a handful of the current professional players....you are begging for a failed proposition. Again, IMO, the professional side of the game is a tiny sliver of the the sport, its heritage and future. Seeing legitimacy, in the quest for multi million dollar contracts, TV revenue and celebrity fame is a dream, not a reality. Disc golf is a real sport, because thousands play it, it provides entertainment and recreation and is a physical outlet.

So, if it isn't a "real sport" then I assume the guy probably thinks it's easy?

Maybe McBeth or Lizotte could make an interesting video challenging the guy to a round for money?

I could always tell ball golf is the better, more serious sport since it's at least 10x as expensive and less than half as fun.

I used to think ball golf was boring and not that fun, then after playing disc golf for the past 18 or so years and understanding how that game is played and the strategy and mechanics behind it and just beijg outside with friends I've grown to really like ball golf and find that it's incredibly fun actually. Expensive, you bet. But alot of fun.

It's not easy to pick up at first but once you start getting into the swing of things I can see and understand exactly why this game is so popular. But I'd definitely encourage disc golfers to try it out at least. A LOT of the mechanics, like bracing and weight shifting and using the hips, basically run parallel.

I'm terrible because I simply don't have the mechanics and practice and time on the green in but interestingly enough from all the years of disc golf throwing I can naturally smack that ball kinda decent once I get ahold of it because I know how to brace on my lead foot and shift from behind and swing free and follow through.

Those in the medical community might have a better perspective on what "should" constitute a "sport" from a physical standpoint based on the METs (metabolic units) expended by different activities currently considered sports in comparison to METs expended performing various other typical activities not considered sports.

Someone who plays a game where you chase around tiny white balls with sticks that can only be played on heavily manicured landscaping while being overcharged for everything from greens fees to equipment saying that they can't take disc golf seriously is pretty freaking rich.

Some friends and I once played a round of extreme golf on a 200 acre farm. We started at the house with one ball and one club each. We picked a target on the other side of the property and whoever got there in the fewest strokes won. Play it where it lies. In a creek? Play it. Just don't lose the ball or game over for you. No heavily manicured greens. No expensive equipment. That was fun.

'Woods golf' is a fun alternative too. Play along the trail you are hiking, whoever won the last hole gets to pick the next object target.

I would remember anything they said because Common Man and T-Bone never reference disc golf. They also talked about paper football but I was looking for an excuse to act outraged about skeeball. Paper football isn't the same.

Kinda funny...12-3 on our local sports radio is Common Man, and he's huge into golf.
But he did have Catrina Allen on for an interview after she won Worlds

So, if it isn't a "real sport" then I assume the guy probably thinks it's easy?

Maybe McBeth or Lizotte could make an interesting video challenging the guy to a round for money?

Poker players consider poker to be a sport. I'd love to see the justification for that, lolol.

I think George Carlin summed it up years ago. If there isn't a ball involved then it isn't a sport. I don't remember all of his skit but I remember he made fun of nascar and hockey. I guess by his definition disc golf isn't a sport either. And definitely not poker.

My definition lies somewhere in the neighborhood of "a pursuit requiring athletic skill and has an objective means of scoring"

John-daly.jpg

Anyone notice his most prominent sponsor in that pic? I wonder if there was another business, I don't know, maybe a couple of miles away, that could hook him up with some discs.

As an avid poker player......

No. Just no. Definitely not a sport.

Where do we stand on things like billiards and darts being sports?

If jus' settin' on yer a** in a car and turning left for a couplea/three hours is a sport, how can poker, darts, and pool not be sports? :popcorn:

If jus' settin' on yer a** in a car and turning left for a couplea/three hours is a sport, how can poker, darts, and pool not be sports? :popcorn:

Them good old boys be fighting some serious G Forces, just saying.

hah

In all seriousness, race car drivers really do have to be physically fit to do what they do effectively. Poker and pool? Not so much.

Latest posts