• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the Olympics?

Will there be Disc Golf in the Olympics?

• It could happen in 2012 if the PDGA or some other entity pushes for it

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • It will not happen in 2012, but will eventually be in the Olympics

Votes: 104 42.4%
  • There is no chance that Disc Golf will ever appear in the Olympic games

Votes: 129 52.7%

• Total voters
Too many variables in course to be an Olympic sport. Just like bowling, which is the most participated sport in the world, will never be an Olympic sport.

The games in the Olympics are very controlled as far as scoring and playing field goes. There's already enough variables in course length, basket dimension, left hand right hand, disc size/characteristics etc. that we all fuss about as it is. Trying to convince the IOC and come up with standardized baskets, disc parameters, and course parameters would be a start, but there's still the left hand/right hand, forehand/backhand situation.

If an "Olympic Style" of DG was created with accuracy and trajectory being the main focus and not # of strokes there might be some headway. They would have to create a specific type of course to play on, you could use the same baskets but with some stricter parameters, like an "Olympic Size" basket with specific styles of targets and obstacles to shoot through and around.

Also the sport isn't quite worldwide enough and it's not any countries major sport, as with say Curling in Canada and the Nordic countries, or Badminton and China, Thailand, East Asia. Water Polo is huge in Holland, Bulgaria, Russia. Boxing in Latin America, all the winter sports from the Nordic countries, Switzerland etc. These sports are the national pasttime. Just because the US isn't good at a sport doesn't mean it's not popular.

Bowling's in the same boat with oil patterns and ball specifications. Unless a target oriented form of the game is utilized bowling will be in the same boat at Disc Golf and ball golf.

Sorry for the tirade, I'm spent a lot of time reasearching and pushing for Bowling to get into the Olympics, but it's invariably compared to Golf as to why it won't get in, and the same applies to Disc Golf. Would be great, but the stroke play style would have to be modified to a target based system of scoring to have any chance in the Olympics.

*backswing

I don't want to say never, but it ain't gonna be anytime soon.

As much as I don't want to say never, I don't see it happening. I would be thrilled if it did, but it just doesn't seem to be a good fit for the Olympics.

I doubt it. An $8 DX disc is a lot of moolah to some of them third world country folks. Just think of the people here in the states that think that's expensive.

A soccer ball costs more, find one country too poor to play soccer. I dare you. ;)

A soccer ball costs more, find one country too poor to play soccer. I dare you. ;)

1 soccer ball, 16+ participents.
1 participent, 16+ discs.
I bet in early rome they never figured on bobsleding being in their olympic games someday.......

If they dont have real golf they would never have disc golf. Plus it has to be something that other coutries could compete in as well. Doubt russia and egypt have too many courses.

i could see bolf and frolf in the lympics as team competitions , ala ryder cup style.

I think at least in the begining it should be by continent.

If they dont have real golf they would never have disc golf. Plus it has to be something that other coutries could compete in as well. Doubt russia and egypt have too many courses.

I think that might be any issue. Does anyone know what is the reasoning for ball golf not being an Olympic sport?

i could see bolf and frolf in the lympics as team competitions , ala ryder cup style.

I think at least in the begining it should be by continent.

The whole point of Olympics is to bring different countries together in competition. And what the hell is bolf? It's golf not ball golf.

i didnt mean just europe vs america , until Dg gets bigger i think it would work best to just have europe,n.america, s. america ,africa, asia, u.s.s.r, africa, australia. in a tier system like the world cup.

to be honest dg will never work in the Olympics as a solo thing with 100s of countries, i was suggesting something that might actually work.

Due to the necessity of wooded holes discgolf is not yet tv friendly. Until there is some sort of video upgrade or something any shots of technical holes are underwhelming. Have you ever watched "discgolf monthly"? If it were an olympic sport the coverage would need to focus on big drives on open holes.

give it up, DG in the olympics is a as far fetched as it gets. Love this sport for what it is, and it is definately NOT an olympic game.

1 soccer ball, 16+ participents.
1 participent, 16+ discs.
I bet in early rome they never figured on bobsleding being in their olympic games someday.......

1 soccer field, 22 players
1 18 hole course, with 4 players per hole = 72 players.
disc golfers use only ~ 5 discs maybe, the rest are security blankets.

If you really crunched the numbers side by side, I'd be shocked if Disc Golf wasn't one of the cheapest sports in the world.

if ball golf isn't there yet i don't see how disc golf could be moved up, i voted not 2012 but maybe someday, just because i hope it will someday be there

Per equipment needed to set up a game, soccer is way cheaper than disc golf, as you only need one ball for a match. Last I checked, a recreation quality soccer ball ran less than $20, less than the cost of a DX starter set.

Problem is that most third world county residents can't even afford that. I've been told in the slums of many foreign countries, they will make their soccer equipment (balls, goals) out of whatever is available, even packed balls of dirt. Its from these pickup games that most third world countries procure their national soccer team. Oh, they'll set up a stadium and hand out nice jerseys for that. Soccer matches provide a means for these countries to give their citizens a means of distraction from the destitute squalor around them.

Unless we've actually seen these third world outposts, we Americans simply haven't the slightest clue what rock bottom poverty is. Even most 'poor' Americans are richer than most people on this planet. Our "cheap" by their perspective is still prohibitively expensive.

Latest posts