• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Myths

"The word "nice," when voiced at a specific frequency and sound pressure level, causes a standing wave when the air's a certain temperature. What starts out as a great throw, turns to crap after someone on your card says "NICE." Since air travels much faster than a disc, the standing wave catches the disc in short order, disturbing the air around it, thereby making the disc hit the nearest tree."

Scientifically, you are correct.

NICE!!!!

the groove

the groove's reputation is far worse than the disc deserves.

as far as im concerned, it's better than a dragon any day.

Agreed. I think a lot I people on this forum like to jump on the I hate groove bandwagon, without trying it out properly. Nowhere near as bad as its made out to be. Great for tomahawks.

the groove

the groove's reputation is far worse than the disc deserves.

as far as im concerned, it's better than a dragon any day.

Agreed. I think a lot I people on this forum like to jump on the I hate groove bandwagon, without trying it out properly. Nowhere near as bad as its made out to be. Great for tomahawks.

It's also very respectable for FH.

Myth: That a particular mold can have BOTH more turn AND more fade than another mold, all else being equal.

Discraft for example has to be weighed by hand by retailers(that a live accurate inventory). Discraft does not write the weights on discs, they place a sticker that gives a weight range. In most cases the discs do not fall into the 2-3 game range. Discraft, the company labelled on DGCR as consistent, is apparently unwilling to hand write the exact weight on their discs. Consistently bad quality control maybe. The entire disc manufacturing industry suffers from this. The only company making strides in this department is MVP because they take pride in providing the best of the best.

Lat64 (and Westside by extension) places small stickers with the exact weight.
Hate Innova for handwriting with ballpens on the discs I want to dye. :)
Even if it is on the underside it shows through on a lot of discs.

I can throw over that water hazard.

No, if you didn't do it last time, you still can't. But lo and behold, if you're using one of my discs, you're gonna try and fail. :)

Myth: That a particular mold can have BOTH more turn AND more fade than another mold, all else being equal.

Really? isn't that the teebird vs. Eagle debate?

Worked for me a few times, and I married one of them, now she can disc better than some of my friends that have been playing for years.

Maybe you should try some different discs. My blue Legacy Cannon has more turn than some of my understable discs, and more fade than most of my overstable discs.

Maybe you should try some different discs. My blue Legacy Cannon has more turn than some of my understable discs, and more fade than most of my overstable discs.

See. It's a strong myth.

You're obviously not throwing them the same. Speed, spin, angle, wind, etc. That was the "all else being equal" part of what I said.

See. It's a strong myth.

You're obviously not throwing them the same. Speed, spin, angle, wind, etc. That was the "all else being equal" part of what I said.

Lol. Old people and their close-mindedness.

Looking it at that way, you could never really judge a disc against another disc, since there's no way you eliminate all of those factors when throwing. But hey, at least now we know another myth, that Grodney knows what he's talking about.

Lol. Old people and their close-mindedness.

Looking it at that way, you could never really judge a disc against another disc, since there's no way you eliminate all of those factors when throwing. But hey, at least now we know another myth, that Grodney knows what he's talking about.

I don't know....I'll take "science" over "hippies and marketing". But you're obviously free to believe whatever you want.

Carry on.

I don't know....I'll take "science" over "hippies and marketing". But you're obviously free to believe whatever you want.

Carry on.
At least you put science in quotes. I haven't seen any sort of actual science that suggests that it's impossible. Most of us have seen lots of empirical evidence that suggests it's true. Anyone who's thrown both a high speed understable, wide rimmed driver and a stable putter has seen it happen.

Discs turn once they're above a certain speed. They fade once they're below a certain speed. What's stopping both of those numbers from being lower on one disc than they are on another? If you have the "science" all figured out then that will be an easy proof for you.

Isnt the amount of fade relative? For example, a disc like the roadrunner, -5 turn or something, and 1+ fade i think. The numbers arent suggesting it fades back across the 5 parts of turn plus an additional part. Just that it will fade that much when the fade starts.
So how exactly would more turn and fade be impossible?

a particular mold can have BOTH more turn AND more fade than another mold, all else being equal.

Like others have said, it's fairly easy to appreciate the difference when you compare a stable putter with something like a Vulcan. Each disc behaves differently as speed and spin decay. Stable driving putters can handle quite a bit of speed and still go straight, but also stay fairly straight at the end of the flight when most of the speed and spin have bled off. The Vulcan is the exact opposite. Lots of turn when it's going fast, and lots of fade when it slows down.

If you acknowledge that discs in fact do slow down during flight, it's sort of hard to say the quote is a myth.