• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour - Finals

Thinking aloud---what if the 8 who placed in quarterfinals could choose their cards, based on the order of finish?

The cards were half-set with the exempt players, so Drew (if he hadn't tanked the last hole) could choose which card he wanted, then Cam, etc. It would certainly be motivation to finish as high as possible.

Since this event is constructed for drama and intrigue, wouldn't that add a touch more?

It might. Though Drew proved yesterday that by playing well in that quarterfinal round, one already could choose their group in a way. Your idea would just extend it to more of those top eight finishers.

In the same vein, why not let the exempt players get the choice? The top 8 quarterfinal finishers sit in those fancy Adirondack chairs while the exempted players pick them gym-class-style.

It might. Though Drew proved yesterday that by playing well in that quarterfinal round, one already could choose their group in a way. Your idea would just extend it to more of those top eight finishers.

In the same vein, why not let the exempt players get the choice? The top 8 quarterfinal finishers sit in those fancy Adirondack chairs while the exempted players pick them gym-class-style.

That would be fun, too. Might have to be the top 4 seeds, otherwise you could have an argument with the 2 exempt seeds disagreeing on who they want to pick.

I actually thought that it would be fun for ALL players to choose their card. #1 exempt is written in. #2 exempt gets to choose his card (including #1's, if he wants). And so on, to fill them out. Each person chooses based on his best interest and, since the players know each other well, it's likely to end up as well-seeded as any other system.

And dramatic, for those interested fans.

We used to run a single-elimination match-play tournament, in which we randomly drew for seedings. I would not suggest that here. But I will say that one of the most fun parts of the event was watching the pairings occur, one at a time. I think players choosing their groups might be almost as entertaining.

The live coverage is great. However between watching the women and all the advertising it doesn't leave much time to watch the MPO. A little disappointing for such a epic event.

The live coverage is great. However between watching the women and all the advertising it doesn't leave much time to watch the MPO. A little disappointing for such a epic event.

heard something that coverage is spotty on 9-13 so thats why they covered the girls during that time.

Consider in each of the four Semi groups, giving the second DGPT ranked player a +1 to start, the 3rd +2 and the 4th +3 at the start of the 18-hole Semi round. That progressive 1 throw difference within each group would reward the top seed and progressively higher seeds to where the lower seeds have to truly "comeback" to beat the top seed or potentially earn the wild card slot.

From the YT commentary, I don't think there is any good solution because people were the most annoyed about Ricky not making it out of the semis. There was a notion that since he was the "best" player this year, he belonged in the final.

I think if you can play well enough to put yourself in a position to determine your card, well that is good. I admit, it seems contrary to the spirit of the game.

It's kind of weird that kicking butt cumulatively gets thrown out the window b/c you didn't play so hot one day and thus lose the championship (if that's what's going on here, I'm out of the loop).

But that's my anti-playoffs bias coming out again after years of watching International soccer.

Clearly, you don't understand the point of seeded tournament progression if you don't think it is to provide the top seeds with the best chance to advance...

Clearly, at no point did I state the PDGA ratings should be used to determine the matchups in my statement. I did use them as a metric to discuss who the best players in the world currently are. Feel free to dismiss a year's worth of cumulative performance to determine a players skill and consistency in discussion though.

Clearly the seedings for the DGPT Tour finals ONLY considered DGPT tournament series points. There really is not other way to do it. Clearly some people don't understand that the only thing that should matter to the tour in question is the tour points.

It's kind of weird that kicking butt cumulatively gets thrown out the window b/c you didn't play so hot one day and thus lose the championship (if that's what's going on here, I'm out of the loop).

But that's my anti-playoffs bias coming out again after years of watching International soccer.

Yes, that's what's going on here. More or less; the converse is that you can't use one really hot round to make up for a poor one, you have to play well every one.

I'd agree if it were World Championships. But this is a tour championship, with the goal of increasing spectatorship, in person and online. This is one way to do it. It's not going to supplant cumulative score over multiple rounds for the other 99% of events.

Clearly the seedings for the DGPT Tour finals ONLY considered DGPT tournament series points. There really is not other way to do it. Clearly some people don't understand that the only thing that should matter to the tour in question is the tour points.

That is, apparently, not how it was done. The first 8 who exempted themselves from the quarterfinals were seeded by tour points. The 8 who qualified in the quarterfinals were seeded by their scores in that round.

There are certainly other ways to do it. There may not be better ways.

Consider in each of the four Semi groups, giving the second DGPT ranked player a +1 to start, the 3rd +2 and the 4th +3 at the start of the 18-hole Semi round. That progressive 1 throw difference within each group would reward the top seed and progressively higher seeds to where the lower seeds have to truly "comeback" to beat the top seed or potentially earn the wild card slot.

Do I understand that you have a stroke etc. Before your first throw? Seems contrary to the fundamental structure of the game. Not that I'm siding with Steve, but I felt his notion was that you earn two things, a spot in the semis worth $800, and a shot at the bigger prize. From there it's what you make of it. I sort of view it like you view Worlds. World's tests physical stamina over multiple rounds. This tests mental stamina. If you play your game, keep mentally focused, you win. You could make an argument that Ricky and Peter peaked too soon. Their mental game let them down.

Do I understand that you have a stroke etc. Before your first throw? Seems contrary to the fundamental structure of the game. Not that I'm siding with Steve, but I felt his notion was that you earn two things, a spot in the semis worth $800, and a shot at the bigger prize. From there it's what you make of it. I sort of view it like you view Worlds. World's tests physical stamina over multiple rounds. This tests mental stamina. If you play your game, keep mentally focused, you win. You could make an argument that Ricky and Peter peaked too soon. Their mental game let them down.
We know players at any rating have a standard deviation in their round-to-round performance that they can't escape. Look at any of the top players and they randomly shoot above, below and at their rating in any given round. That's why the more rounds played in an event, the better the chances a player with demonstrably better skills should win.

So if you want to give lower rated players a better chance, simply have fewer holes to play. As we saw, Ricky could do little to fight the randomness of his weaker performance in the semis. Plus, the course had luckier penalty elements heightening this player performance randomness.

Note that if the semifinalists had played 2 or 3 rounds of cumulative scores up to those semi knockout rounds, it's likely the top seeds might have had at least a 1 or more throw lead on the others in their seed group anyway. It just seems it would be fairer if the other three qualifiers were 1, 2, and 3 shots behind at the start of the semis. The better someone plays prior to the semis to improve their seed the fewer initial throws they have tacked on their score.

Clearly you didn't read/understand what you quoted.

Clearly you didn't read/understand what you quoted.

No... your original assertion that the a card had too many of the best players was just... well silly. The seeding was laid out at the BEGINNING OF THE TOUR and has NO WEIGHTING whatsoever on perceived top players. It was all about points earned at tour stops and nothing else... nor should it.

No... your original assertion that the a card had too many of the best players was just... well silly. The seeding was laid out at the BEGINNING OF THE TOUR and has NO WEIGHTING whatsoever on perceived top players. It was all about points earned at tour stops and nothing else... nor should it.

Sounds like you have it all figured out.

I rarely watch the longer events live, I watch them later (about 1-2 hours into it, etc) with my keyboard in my lap and press the right arrow key to advance 5 seconds a click to bypass slow parts, commercials, etc. However...during the semifinals with all that action going on I was glued to the event and hardly ever fast forwarded. Win your card to advance + the best round wildcard winner advances. That was awesome to spectate! Thanks to DGPT & Smashboxx for the coverage! Nikko is seriously surprising me with his play. He really...is....good...and obviously one of the top players in the game. That 360 on 18 took me by surprise and he nailed it! wow... Love the Doss, but his putting rides that roller coaster too much, he'll make a 35ft'r and miss a 10-15ft putt! ack!! Drives me crazy. lol... Peter McBride..jeesh...a 1000+ rated player @ 13 years old and only 14 now? I don't know if he physically just was drained or if the pressure got to him. But what an amazing performance for who is obviously the future of the game. He displayed a skill set that was as good or better than anyone else out there. Again @ 14 years old? Crazy.....

Latest posts