• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Prodigy

Trollapalooza in full force......

Will Schusterick · 2,295 like this
53 minutes ago via mobile ·
Some awesome news coming up at 12:30 CST today!

Shusterick said:
Thank you Innova Champion and Discmania for the best years of my Disc Golf career. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you. For me to continue in this sport for a long time, I will be moving on to bigger and better things next year

I still think top player+ bigger and better opportunity = not a disc making company.

cubeofsoup said:
luma said:
I go with Dynamic Discs
he said "No DD" on twitter in direct response to that point.

Dynamic Discs isn't even close to Innova, so that's a big step down. We've flogged the "pro disc golfers don't get paid crap by their sponsors" horse for years. I think this is going to be a company that is going to pay him and market him to a much bigger audience and exposing many people to disc golf in the process.

inthedrift said:
chainsmoker said:
I still think top player+ bigger and better opportunity = not a disc making company.
I think you're right
No question.

Some at PDGA have been obsessed by the idea of growing the sport from the top down. Maybe we'll see whether this actually works? I remain skeptical.

Nike has moved in and begun sponsoring surfers, which has created more than a little controversy inside that community. Of course, the analogy isn't perfect, surfing is severely limited by being confined to small stretches of coast with decent breaks, which have been over-crowded for decades. So Nike isn't being used to grow the sport, they're just muscling into established territory that other small (surf) companies established long ago.

Back when the PDGA forum was more active (2005-2006?) there was a manufacturer who claimed Nike had interest in disc golf. It's all kind of fuzzy now but there were few details and you can probably guess the disc manufacturer.

That is actually a decent analogy JHern. our participation scale is about like surfing was/is we just don't have the household familiarity surfing has. I guess it will be after we reach that point that someone like Nike will come in and open the purse strings. I know I've stated before that we should try to court these "big wheels" but I guess I've learned better.

Years ago some telemarketing dude (who had been fined and some other things, but made a lot of money) named Kevin Trudeau (you can search for his name + billiards or pool) dumped a bunch of money into pool, funded some BIG tournaments with BIG payouts, and all sorts of stuff. TV productions, the works... It was all a part of the brand new "International Pool Tour."

It was controversial and didn't seem to do much of anything to raise the profile of pool/billiards within the United States. It lasted less than a year and a half.

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/showblogentry.php?id=99

I'm not saying the two situations or sports or anything are similar... and I don't think Mr. Wolfe has Trudeau's money, of course... but money doesn't guarantee success (or that people will notice or care).

Dammit JR you're our infinite monkeys at infinite typewriters! I clicked in hoping to find the Oracle (not a Ching hint) bringing wisdom from the arctic mountain. Focus man. Knock it out.

New rampageous rumor: all pros to Southern Nats built for camera.

Don't worry there's a gentle way to put this to DGCR

Ah yes, the youtube video of Worlds in Huntsville back in the day.
Strategically released. Good coverage. Fantastic commercials!

Blame it on chainsmoker i was responding to his post below:

chainsmoker said:
Back when the PDGA forum was more active (2005-2006?) there was a manufacturer who claimed Nike had interest in disc golf. It's all kind of fuzzy now but there were few details and you can probably guess the disc manufacturer.

Leopard said:
New rampageous rumor: all pros to Southern Nats built for camera.

What if the PDGA were to dissolve altogether and 4 super regional tournament series formed, kind of similar to all of the conference shenanigans in college sports.

All I know about the Southern Nationals is what I've seen online. Do the events bring a big turnout and is it set up and ran well? Around here there are a lot of smaller local club run events and a few sanctioned events a year.

Latest posts