• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Putting in a Parade!!

Earic02

Par Member
I just got an email today that I am invited to be a part of the Saint Clair Shores, MI Memorial Day Parade on Sunday, May 26th.

How awesome is that?!

(I run our Ace Race every year, which prompted the invite, which was sent out to all sports organizations within the city. How nice of someone to think of us DG'ers!)

Now, for the options:

Most likely, we'll have a truck as our vehicle, with DG banners, etc.

What would be awesome is to pull a trailer with a portable basket mounted to it, so our entourage can throw putts into.

(It'll be sweet to hit a big jump putt in front of a crowd..)

Alternate options: a basket mounted to the truck bed if we can't get a trailer, or just a wheeled portable basket, or a Mach Lite on a wagon rig if we need to...

What would be even awesomer, I think, would be to get some crowd participation and let people (little kids, mostly) try to sink some putts, too.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from the city to see if they'll allow us to let parade watchers toss putts in. ("Supervised", close clear shots only, etc.)

I'm also waiting to hear back from Discraft to see if they can donate some putters for us to use and then give away AFTER the parade, so as not to have a bunch of discs being thrown about and causing a liablility issue...

(If not donated, we'll just use our own discs. Fingers crossed for bright, new Magnets / Challengers / Focus's though...)

Has anyone seen disc golf represented in a parade, or anything like the above? I would think basketball shots would be similar..

Any other random thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

I have not seen DG in a parade, but there was a video (or maybe pics?) of some guys putting at a basket on a canoe.
Congratulations and please post a video!

we have an annual christmas parade around here and i've thought of doing the same. good luck and post pics.

What about also having a mini basket or two attached to your 'float' and let people toss minis? Custom printed or hand marked would be a great way to get people to take DG home and perhaps inspire them to find a local course.

Build a frame around your vehicle and turn it into a float. Like a grassy hill, maybe some small trees, shrubs, whatever, and have a full size basket on top. A couple of minis on the front and back. Or just build it on a trailer.

truck bed might be a little high to putt into? what about a trailer or something with a basket mounted to it?

It's hella-fun!

I have not seen DG in a parade, but there was a video (or maybe pics?) of some guys putting at a basket on a canoe.
Congratulations and please post a video!
You mean this video :D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7F4DfTgSGo
During this floating disc golf tourney we occasionally tossed discs up to people on the banks of the river so they could take a shot at our floating baskets. Some were very enthused & really got into it (kids). Some could care less (parents).
In your situation liability could be an issue with crowds of people on either side of your float getting hit by discs. The kids will probably love it! The parents? Hmmm :p