• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Rule Nazi Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
So me and my 2 brothers were playing in a tournament once, and on my little brothers card (he was 10 at the time), there was another kid who thought he was hot stuff, like he said he wins trophies EVERY DAY (is that even possible??), but truly did suck. My little brother had been playing for like 8 months and this kid has been playing since he was 5. Long story short, my little bro was thrashing this kid, up by like 8 or 9 strokes, after the first round. At the beginning of the next round the kid told the guy at the top of the card (who happened to be our uncle) that it was ok that he was getting beat that bad, from now on he was gonna call a foot fault on every one of his putts, and beat him that way. So needless to say, that didn't fly, at all, and the kid ended up getting beat by double digits, and was crying at the little trophy thing. It was all a big mess.

that isn't a rules issue, that is a parenting issue....

1 - Go play tournaments. They are fun and you will learn about a different side of your game

2 - Almost everyone at tournies is great to play a round with...almost

3 - Basing real life decisions on opinions posted on this site is a poor way to go through life.

Excellent advice all around. :clap:

All three of those graphics are correct. The cool scenario is when your disc is maybe 15" from the pipe and you're tall enough to straddle with both feet 16" away on both sides of the basket.

Thanks Chuck, it wasn't entirely intuitive for me thinking of it as an "arc" rather than a straight line.

I don't see this helping too much, but an oddball scenario would make this come in handy.

I have a saying in this game "If you don't know the rules then don't call them on people"

Check out what happened to me at a tourney on page 12 of nazi stories.

In one of my first tournaments, I played a 3 day event with a guy in rec division and for all 3 days I played with him he called me on the following:

-not having my foot ALL THE WAY up to my mini
-throwing out of turn being 2 inches closer to the basket than the other guy (playing speed of play rule)
-I was warned for being too over excited about a putt I made
-on accident saying the wrong score I got on a hole
-talking to the disc when its in the air
-chest bumping my friend who made a long putt to save par (what is this the NFL?)
-The worst one was when I threw a drive OB, I take my disc out of OB, and then I put my mini down (my mistake), and without even giving me a warning first, he stroked my for not putting my mini down first!!!!!!!!!

Just to play that event I took time off school, I took time off work, I took time off from homework and studying, I made tons of arrangements to stay at a family members house, and on top of all that I paid $100 to play that tourney and all he ever cared about was adding strokes to peoples scores!!!!!!!!!!!! Worst tourney experience of my life!!!!!!!!
Why I always have a rule book in my bag.

They call a fake rule, I toss them the book and say, "Show me". That usually shuts them up.

Here is the link to the PDF version of the rule book. Print it, put it in a ziplock, and keep it in your bag.

Last edited:
If someone tries to call a fake rule infraction on me, I would get out the rule book, tell them to show me where that rule is stated and when they come up empty, give them a courtesy violation. Actually, could I give them a courtesy violation?

Fake rule calls are basically cheating and grounds for DQ

I really don't think that most people that call fake rules are intentionally trying to cheat though. They hear a "rule" from somebody and think it's the real deal.

there's also an app for android at least titled "Mobile PDGA" which has a copy of the rules. not sure who maintains it and if it gets updated.

This whole thread makes DG seem so serious. I guess that is probably why I've never played a tournament in 16 years of playing.

I really don't think that most people that call fake rules are intentionally trying to cheat though. They hear a "rule" from somebody and think it's the real deal.

I've only seen it from players who have been playing a long time and haven't been able to progress beyond the am4 skill level. Both people I've seen try to do that were doing it to take advantage of first time players. It's not like it's a rampant problem, 2 out of the hundreds of people I've played with is a pretty low jerk quotient compared to most groups of people.

there's also an app for android at least titled "Mobile PDGA" which has a copy of the rules. not sure who maintains it and if it gets updated.

I have the official PDF of the rules downloaded on my phone, that way it's usable even when there isn't cell service.

This whole thread makes DG seem so serious. I guess that is probably why I've never played a tournament in 16 years of playing.

As with most anything, the whiners are always the most vocal of any group. I would not let a discussion topic on PDGA Rules deter you from participating in something that has a 98% chance of being a drama free, fun-filled event.

I have had exactly one less than stellar issue with a player during a tourney, even then it was more annoying than problematic.

There are way more positives out there than possible negatives when playing tourneys. I hope you change your mind and opt to give them a try sometime and make up your own mind on the perception of tourney play. :thmbup:

As with most anything, the whiners are always the most vocal of any group. I would not let a discussion topic on PDGA Rules deter you from participating in something that has a 98% chance of being a drama free, fun-filled event.

I have had exactly one less than stellar issue with a player during a tourney, even then it was more annoying than problematic.

There are way more positives out there than possible negatives when playing tourneys. I hope you change your mind and opt to give them a try sometime and make up your own mind on the perception of tourney play. :thmbup:
Tagging along on this, I've played quite a few tournaments and have only experienced 2 or 3 people that made a round unenjoyable.

legal1.jpg

legal2.jpg

illegal.jpg

where is this covered in the rule book? not arguing it, i want to see the language b/c i always assumed #2 was a violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts