• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf snobs

maybe that just says something about the vibes between you and that person, i play bad when i'm around people that i don't vibe with.

Pretty sure he was commenting on how most people over inflate their skills in front of others, then their play that day is sub-par to their boasting.

i'm pretty sure i knew exactly what he was commenting on but was just giving an alternate perspective on how he's viewing the reality of the situation. just because people inflate their skill through gab doesn't mean that's exactly what is happening all of the time. some people truly do play better by themselves due to social anxieties or uneasiness around certain people due to their conflicting attitudes.

I wouldn't say I'm a snob, but I stereotype people real quick...I'm horrible about judging books by their cover, if you will.
Like when I'm on the course and there's the guy throwing nothing but Bosses, even to putt with, I just assume he's a gomer with no true interest in the game.

Sometimes when I am having trouble with a certain disc, I will play a whole round with just that disc to really get a better feel for it. Now if that disc is a driver then obviously I don't care much about the putts but that doesn't mean I won't throw it at the basket from 30' a few times. I also have a good friend who has been playing for 3-4 years that only uses 2 discs, Z Surge and a Buzzz. Putts with the buzzz. He is a solid "average" player, definitely not a gomer.........

i'm pretty sure i knew exactly what he was commenting on but was just giving an alternate perspective on how he's viewing the reality of the situation. just because people inflate their skill through gab doesn't mean that's exactly what is happening all of the time. some people truly do play better by themselves due to social anxieties or uneasiness around certain people due to their conflicting attitudes.

yeah. i usually play by myself but oftentimes wind up hooking up with others on the course at some point during the day. it helps - being alone - when i want to analyze things and think.

As you all know, most disc golfers are really cool to everybody. I usually meet someone new just about every time I play.

However, there are some of what I call "disc golf snobs"!

You know the guys.......you shoot a perfect drive from about 350 feet and he says, "I usually use a midrange on that one".....just to put you down for using a driver!

Or the guy who asked how you did......I was pretty good today.....shot a plus 3........He replies, "Yeah, not bad...I missed some putts..only shot minus 4 today!"

Then when you play him head to head and he shoots a plus 5.....he complains about just not having a good round today!....of course he usually shoots minus 4 or 5 according to him!

You seem really sensitive and insecure. Just because someone is better than you doesn't make them a snob.

I've said things like all of these statements before with absolutely no malice or snobbery intended. I play my game, and I play to execute at the highest level possible for myself, regardless of what you're shooting (or not shooting).

I'd advise you to focus on your own game and not worry so much about how others internally grade their own performances.

I think this is the main DG snob forum, so you probably should complain about it elsewhere ;)

But really, it isn't specific to DG. You get that all over the place, in all kinds of sports and games. Try playing Massive Multi-player Online games sometime. Some people are a lot more "Hardcore" than others who are "Casual", and sometimes the two don't mix.

I've not run into too many of those types but what I like are the tourney snobs. Especially at a trophy only unsanctioned tourney like the one I play at Madeline Bertrand. They can't throw unless it is perfectly quiet and no one is moving. They play like they are going up against Phil Mickelson on the 18th at Augusta for the win.

Don't worry tourney snob, we're not laughing at you we're laughing near you.
Honestly you have bad course etiquette if your moving around & talking during someones throw especially during a tourney. Especially if your moving in there line of sight it's very inconsiderate, I find it very annoying during especially during a putt. No one else is laughing with you one, your just being a d**k.

You seem really sensitive and insecure. Just because someone is better than you doesn't make them a snob.

I've said things like all of these statements before with absolutely no malice or snobbery intended. I play my game, and I play to execute at the highest level possible for myself, regardless of what you're shooting (or not shooting).

I'd advise you to focus on your own game and not worry so much about how others internally grade their own performances.

:thmbup: I agree, the OP needs to have thicker skin & worry less about other peoples game & more about their own game. If someone asks me what I got in a round I will be honest & I've gotten some very nasty comments back at me without even saying something to the effect of "I played poorly today and got a (whatever score). I'll just say "I gotta (insert score)" & I've had people say some pretty harsh comments. I just blow it off b/c I know I'm being truthful. Most of the time I get a neutral reaction or a positive reaction, asking to play a round or two with me or asking for my cell #. Also I can understand having an off day. Some days at my home course I shoot around a -11 & other days I'll throw a -5. My score really depends on the wind, weather, if I'm messing with discs in my bag & who I'm with. I also feel that some people get intimated by me just b/c I have a Grip Bag. I've had people give me glares or made immature comments b/c of my bag. I play alone once in awhile when I really want to work on a certain part of my game & whenever I play through groups they either compliment my bag or give me nasty looks (especially if I have a good shot). It seems like that's all people see is my bag when I play alone. I don't mind the disdain, I'm just trying to get better & could care less what people I don't know think of me. I'm very open with the knowledge I have when it comes to disc golf so if anyone asks, I'll tell them everything they wanna know to the best of my abilities. I have also said a lot of these comments that are viewed as snobby without any intention on my part to be snobby. Just b/c someone is better than another person & it comes up in one shape or form doesn't mean that the better person is trying to down the worse person. Also snobby people are everywhere not just in disc golf, I've found my experiences that disc golf has less snobby people than most other hobbies/sports. You can find a-holes everywhere you just gotta learn to not let them bother you, it's their loss if they don't wanna get to now you & a lot of snobby people have low self esteem.

I will be antisocial at times which may appear snobbish, so call me a snob for being quiet. That being said, a little respect goes a long way and I strive hard to not be a douche on the course.

Sometimes I feel like people on the course get the wrong idea of me and my friends. I probably come off as white trash to most players and a snob to newbs. I carry and drink beers on the course (always using a trash receptacle or carrying my empties out with me) and wear boots with athletic shorts and use a smaller bag than most. Sometimes I/we get loud because in a casual round I'm just out to have fun and sometimes I just want to get drunk and throw a disc lol. However I am still respectful of other players and the course in the process. Newbs probably think I'm a snob because I'll throw a shot that is not what I was hoping for (still an easy 3 but darn it, I normally 2 the hole, I'm trying to park it) and they'll comment nice shot because its 100' farther than they can throw and I'll kind of shrug them off. However as soon as they ask for advice I'm ready to pull all my discs out and explain the differences and when/why I use them. I feel like I'm the epitome of don't judge a book by it's cover lol. So if you ever see me on the course and wonder, "Who's that douche bag?" Play a round with me and I'm sure you'll change your mind.

Thats an awfully snobby thing to say :\

if they say (after a skip into woods with driver) "I normally use a midrange here, since it helps lessen the risk of a bad kick off a tree" is a lot different than after you throw a great shot with your driver (as OP stated) "Nice shot, but I normally use my mid range here" That is more of a Dbag braggart move than your instance, which is 100% a nice gesture.

(also has a lot to do with your body language and tone when you say it.)

Even if that is the case, there is a better way to give advice or say something about it.
Hey, I don't know the proper context of said situation, it's not like the OP painted a complete picture. The guy might have said "Nice shot, I usually use a midrange here" because inside he's thinking, "b/c I'm too chickenchit to throw a driver b/c I'm afraid I'll fade off into that rough over there." Nobody wants to admit that they're sacrificing distance for control b/c they are intimidated by the fairway. I can 100% see myself saying that to somebody for being what I feel is a ballsy move. Not everything has to be a distance pissing contest.
If somebody said to me "Nice shot, but I normally use my mid range here" I would probably stare at them like a drunk monkey and say "Neat. Thanks for sharing "

Do people seriously get upset about these kind of things? If so, you really need to work on your mental game.
+1 For real. Some of yall need to put your big boy pants on and just play some golf. Even if you perceive what is a douchebag comment like "I usually throw a midrange here" then politely ask "why is that?"

I would rather play with a snob than a shirtless 1 disc wonder douche.

Hear Hear! :hfive:

At least snobs don't think "trash talking" is an actual part of the game while someone is throwing, putting etc.

I would rather play with a snob than a shirtless 1 disc wonder douche.

I've actually played with some shirtless 1 disc wonders that were snobs rather than douches. Asking, "What do you need all those discs for?" as they park their dx beast on seemingly ever hole and make all the 20-30' putts they face.

Honestly you have bad course etiquette if your moving around & talking during someones throw especially during a tourney. Especially if your moving in there line of sight it's very inconsiderate, I find it very annoying during especially during a putt. No one else is laughing with you one, your just being a d**k.

Hey hey hey....whhhooooaaaa...Take a deeeeep breath there fella you might blow a gasket or something. Good lord, should have been way more specific I guess.

Oh that's right, this is DGCR. People are a tad more touchy around here.

Okay, the tourney snobs I am referring too are akin to the snobs being referred to in this thread. These are the fellas that if there is a noise like someone talking a 1/4 mile away (stop wadding up yer panties I know I am exaggerating) they HAVE to stop and wait for the disturbance to go away. These are the fellas that have to 10 warm up motions prior to releasing the disc. They think they are Ken Climo competing for world domination. Clearly, they are not. In other words they are taking their craptastic game too seriously.

Me? I do not laugh - out loud. Nor do I move around while a putt is being made..etc..I am at least that respectful.

Yeah I throw shots over Newbs, What of IT?!

I've actually played with some shirtless 1 disc wonders that were snobs rather than douches. Asking, "What do you need all those discs for?" as they park their dx beast on seemingly ever hole and make all the 20-30' putts they face.

throwing a dx beast doesnt make you a douche.

its the no shirt and "bro" mentality that does. but it kinda sounds like you may be in or currently growing out of that phase.

throwing a dx beast doesnt make you a douche.

its the no shirt and "bro" mentality that does. but it kinda sounds like you may be in or currently growing out of that phase.

To me its just kids being kids. Some of them are nice, some aren't, and they are all a lot younger than I am.