• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf snobs

So he's a snob for not taking mulligans and offering friendly advice? :|

I would say he's a snob for acting holier than thou, yes. It's not just not taking a mulligan it's the riding of the high horse. Not taking one is fine but mentioning it over and over again ie patronizing and talking down to others that may have is snobbish. After all it is a casual round.

I play with an "old timer" who takes the sanctimonious, holier than thou approach to playing.

I've been playing for four years now and when I started my friends and I would always have a mulligan once per round. Casual play of course. When I suggest it to this guy he acts like I'm defacing the game and he won't shut up about it. Hole 1 he says "nah I don't do that. Then I'll know that my score is not really my score" which is fine even though you don't necessarily take your mulligan throw. But whatever, to each his own but the problem is he brings it up on hole 2 then hole 3 and so forth until I finally snap at him and go "ok dude I get it." It totally ruins the fun.

Also, I have the worst luck with losing discs. The worst. Our course has a lot of elephant grass and it just eats my discs. It's terrible and it's cost me a lot of money and a lot of strokes. A lot of it has to do with I can throw decently far and when they get so far away from you it's hard to gauge where they land exactly. Holy Roller can throw about 250-280ft max (he's older and has arthritis etc) but his response to me is "keep it in the fairway" "if mine goes in I always find it" stuff like that which is insulting and suggesting that somehow his ability to find his short drives somehow makes him a better player.

Anyways, there definitely are snobs of many varieties and sometimes I'm sure I'm guilty of it too.

Idk sounds like your being a bit snobbish by stating you can throw further than an arthritic old timer.

I think I was an accidental snob the other day. I didn't mean it either I was just being truthful.

I caught up to a couple of guys and they let me play through. I threw my drive and was within about 25ft of the basket. One of the guys said nice drive man,how you shooting today? I said well not too good today. I'm just shooting 7 under right now and normally I'm around 11 right now. I just feel off today. They kind of looked at me funny and one said man I wish I could say that was an off day for me.

Not sure If I sounded snobbish or not. Didn't really think about it til I seen this thread.

I would say he's a snob for acting holier than thou, yes. It's not just not taking a mulligan it's the riding of the high horse. Not taking one is fine but mentioning it over and over again ie patronizing and talking down to others that may have is snobbish. After all it is a casual round.

A casual round where you need a mulligan handicap? Why would you need that? Just because you can't keep up doesn't mean other players should accommodate in order for you to feel better about your game and scores.

I am very lucky to say that I haven't ran into many guys like this. That is one thing I boast about my local league is that we there isn't any snobs. We all get along because I think that it is just a general understanding that we are all out there just to have fun.

this thread reminds me of why i prefer to play alone

i don't have time to humor whiners

This thread reminds me of how chill most dg'ers are compared to the other sports in which I've seen insane snobbery.

Skiing and rock climbing. Dear god there's not a day that doesn't go by where there's not a sea of self important dweebs aren't ruining something for somebody.

The few times I've run into snobby douchy-ness on a dg course, I like the fact that it's incredibly easy to ignore and remove yourself from. If they're in my group, I immediately call them on it in a jovial way, "Wow Bob, you're a real peach today - take it easy buddy, we're not playing for the big money today." Typically they get the hint... if they don't get the hint - look them in the eyes and say, "Look Bob, we're all out here to have fun and you're not being any fun. Get it?" Shake their hands and pat them on the shoulder so it's not an aggressive thing. I've never seen anybody continue to rage through a round after that.

Being passive about somebody actively ruining my round by being a d-bag... I have no patience for that.

I think I was an accidental snob the other day. I didn't mean it either I was just being truthful.

I caught up to a couple of guys and they let me play through. I threw my drive and was within about 25ft of the basket. One of the guys said nice drive man,how you shooting today? I said well not too good today. I'm just shooting 7 under right now and normally I'm around 11 right now. I just feel off today. They kind of looked at me funny and one said man I wish I could say that was an off day for me.

Not sure If I sounded snobbish or not. Didn't really think about it til I seen this thread.

I've just recently come to understand where I stand in the realm of disc golf scoring as it applies to other people. When asked how I'm shooting, unless I know the person/people, I never tell my score. Just a generic awesome, or not as well as usual, will almost always suffice.

I also don't want to hear how other people are scoring, because I'm sick of guys telling me they shoot -10 to -15 on average, then I shoot with them and they're even or over par and I'm much better than they are (and I'm not all that great).

A casual round where you need a mulligan handicap? Why would you need that? Just because you can't keep up doesn't mean other players should accommodate in order for you to feel better about your game and scores.

I play with some people casually where we'll allow one mulligan per round...usually to be used on the drive that hits a tree two feet in front of you or the five foot putt that you didn't take the bag off your shoulder and screwed it up.

I am so far above anybody on this site that if I was playing in front of you or behind any of you I would either not let any of you pass through my group or I would walk right through yours...I hold all of you in contempt of my awesomeness and I fart in all of your general directions.

All kidding aside...This sport is meant to be played with comaraderie to all those on the course. If you can't find enjoyment with being outside and competing against yourself, the course and everyone else then in MHO go f off. I want to have fun. I can see getting annoyed at yourself for making a bad decision which may cost you strokes but getting an unlucky tree hit or rollaway just comes with the game. There's no reason to take any of it that seriously that you cause others discomfort. That being said I often find myself playing with others that bring the vibe down.,..I just ignore them to the best of my ability...if they want to be douches then so be it...you ain't bringing me down.

I am so far above anybody on this site that if I was playing in front of you or behind any of you I would either not let any of you pass through my group or I would walk right through yours...I hold all of you in contempt of my awesomeness and I fart in all of your general directions.

All kidding aside...This sport is meant to be played with comaraderie to all those on the course. If you can't find enjoyment with being outside and competing against yourself, the course and everyone else then in MHO go f off. I want to have fun. I can see getting annoyed at yourself for making a bad decision which may cost you strokes but getting an unlucky tree hit or rollaway just comes with the game. There's no reason to take any of it that seriously that you cause others discomfort. That being said I often find myself playing with others that bring the vibe down.,..I just ignore them to the best of my ability...if they want to be douches then so be it...you ain't bringing me down.

I feel that most of the mid to upper tier players in my local area are respectable and have enough tact not to be snobbish or elitist in anyway. There are a few at times who can be rather inconsiderate during league play when money is on the line and been paired up with a less experienced golfer. Some of that can just be chalked up to a rough night before hand tho.

I also don't want to hear how other people are scoring, because I'm sick of guys telling me they shoot -10 to -15 on average, then I shoot with them and they're even or over par and I'm much better than they are (and I'm not all that great).

Seriously? I absolutely loooove it when this happens. There's no need to knock someone off their high horse when they fall off by their self right?!?

Seriously? I absolutely loooove it when this happens. There's no need to knock someone off their high horse when they fall off by their self right?!?

There was one guy, in particular. He'd always tell us how he was -10 to -12 and then when we finally played with him, we found out why. He'd drive every hole at least twice and then play from the best spot. If he ever missed a putt under 15', he wouldn't count it. When we made him play it honest, he was shooting right where we shoot.

A couple weeks ago, I lumped into a group of 5 after I found one of their discs. they had all shot a round right before...all of them claimed to be -7 or better. Somehow, I won our round with a -6, and only one guy was even within 4 strokes of me...and this is on pretty much a pitch n putt course.

I guess it just irks me. Be honest...I don't give a crap how you shoot if you're fun to throw a round with.

Latest posts