• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

I'll chime in and help with the bump.

The Memorial is first, but one week later the first DGWT event at La Mirada, March 10-12.

Looks like everyone playing the Memorial will be there, plus a couple extra International players (13 total, I think.)

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/24917

The St Pats Am is the same weekend. Won't that affect the gallery size at the DGWT??

Actually the ADGT is first, with their first event on 2/20/16... Then the Memorial

Actually the ADGT is first, with their first event on 2/20/16... Then the Memorial

Man, save that jive for the ADGT thread, which has to be twice as long as the DGPT + DGWT threads combined...Hmmm, Kilgus is a genius, and we all played right into their hands...

I've already lost interest in all things ADGT, and the Memorial (the tournament that everyone loves to hate) is first.

The Memorial is first, but one week later the first DGWT event at La Mirada, March 10-12.

Looks like everyone playing the Memorial will be there, plus a couple extra International players (13 total, I think.)

The St Pats Am is the same weekend. Won't that affect the gallery size at the DGWT??

Not sure how St Pats would have an effect on an event 6+ hours away. If an am event was going to be a concern to La Mirada, it would be the Daniel Boe A-tier in Escondido which is less than two hours away.

But frankly, if we need there to be little to no competition for an event to draw a decent crowd, we're not ready for the "big time" in the first place. I don't think it's a worry.

Not sure how St Pats would have an effect on an event 6+ hours away. If an am event was going to be a concern to La Mirada, it would be the Daniel Boe A-tier in Escondido which is less than two hours away.

But frankly, if we need there to be little to no competition for an event to draw a decent crowd, we're not ready for the "big time" in the first place. I don't think it's a worry.

I don't think we are ready for the "big time", or at least big crowds to watch disc golf.

Crowds at most tourneys are traditionally Am players. Most likely enough of a scene around the La Mirada course to come out and watch, but we shall see, I guess.

I don't think we are ready for the "big time", or at least big crowds to watch disc golf.

Crowds at most tourneys are traditionally Am players. Most likely enough of a scene around the La Mirada course to come out and watch, but we shall see, I guess.

I think the main issue at this point is that the tourney runs Thursday through Saturday, meaning that most people will have to work for the first two days of the tourney. Want a bigger crowd? Make the majority of the event fall on the weekend, not just the final day.

Also, I appreciate the membership thing and that it is a way for people to support the tour. But it's another example of disc golf being funded by disc golfers, which means we still have a ways to go.

Personally, as someone who has played St. Patty's Am repeatedly, I don't forsee it being a spectator detraction. Where it might affect is volunteer numbers, but truthfully NorCal and SoCal scenes don't intermix that often. When they do it's usually at tournaments in Bakersfield, Fresno, Monterey, or Santa Cruz (closer to the middle). When you get as far away as LaMi and OV are it's less of an issue.

I could be totally wrong, but that's what my gut says.

I think the main issue at this point is that the tourney runs Thursday through Saturday, meaning that most people will have to work for the first two days of the tourney. Want a bigger crowd? Make the majority of the event fall on the weekend, not just the final day.

Also, I appreciate the membership thing and that it is a way for people to support the tour. But it's another example of disc golf being funded by disc golfers, which means we still have a ways to go.

Actually I respectfully disagree with you here (not in any official capacity, as I do not hold any official position with the DGWT, but my personal thoughts). Here's why:

- Livestreams typically have their biggest audiences on Fridays, so a that being the "semifinal" round I think is better than the 2nd round of 4. This is important also because it says that most disc golfers would still rather play than watch. (aka they watch at work, but when given the opportunity on saturday...). Having Sunday free theoretically allows them to see a final round and still play on Sunday.

-If you consider also the typical "white picket fence" lifestyle (sunday night family dinners, etc.) Saturdays are more acceptable to be out later, and with awards going on in the 5:30-6:30 timeframe you don't have as much of a conflict.

- (please remember my disclaimer above) This could allow for spectator days on Sunday like at USDGC, pay-to-play rounds on the pro layouts.

Overall, your critique is valid, but I think it's a "future" vs "now" debate. Since at this point in time it's free to attend, and the tour is geared towards the top tier player (noting now that we're turning the corner where more players are full time athletes) I don't see a large conflict with 2 weekday rounds (for any tour). Gentlemen's Club Challenge has a similar schedule (+1 day, 4 day total) and has 400+ people registered.

Now we just need Jussi to post and it will be like old times again.

Now we just need Jussi to post and it will be like old times again.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

That wont happen, we internet using disc golfers don't matter to him. We're not part of the vision :|.

I doubt he would post here even if we all ponied up the $50 to join the DGWT :p.

Glad to see Jamie posting here again, I wonder...does his boss know he is creeping around here :D ?

Last edited:
Actually I respectfully disagree with you here (not in any official capacity, as I do not hold any official position with the DGWT, but my personal thoughts). Here's why:

- Livestreams typically have their biggest audiences on Fridays, so a that being the "semifinal" round I think is better than the 2nd round of 4. This is important also because it says that most disc golfers would still rather play than watch. (aka they watch at work, but when given the opportunity on saturday...). Having Sunday free theoretically allows them to see a final round and still play on Sunday.

-If you consider also the typical "white picket fence" lifestyle (sunday night family dinners, etc.) Saturdays are more acceptable to be out later, and with awards going on in the 5:30-6:30 timeframe you don't have as much of a conflict.

- (please remember my disclaimer above) This could allow for spectator days on Sunday like at USDGC, pay-to-play rounds on the pro layouts.

Overall, your critique is valid, but I think it's a "future" vs "now" debate. Since at this point in time it's free to attend, and the tour is geared towards the top tier player (noting now that we're turning the corner where more players are full time athletes) I don't see a large conflict with 2 weekday rounds (for any tour). Gentlemen's Club Challenge has a similar schedule (+1 day, 4 day total) and has 400+ people registered.

Always appreciate the respectful discourse, JT. And you definitely bring up some valid points. I was thinking that the tour was more geared toward building up a spectator base in person with the large events and was not thinking as much about the online viewership. I definitely agree that the current schedule lends itself more toward live streaming, so I think it hits the nail on the head there. If you can leave the one weekend day for a large final crowd, that will also play well on camera, so I think it strikes a nice balance even if it doesn't work as well for me to view it personally. I am gonna try and hit the Saturday round in person, though.

I reckon that if you're considering only the in-person audience and the audience for live streaming, you're shortchanging things. There's also an online audience for coverage that isn't live.

I tried to watch a livestreamed event last year and quickly stopped--that experience sucked. Now, if you have multiple cameras and production facilities that allow for switching coverage from one card to another on the fly and the announcer(s) able to comment on action non-stop--as with televised silly stick golf--then I'd be down for live coverage. Without that sort of production...um, no.

Provide me with edited coverage later and I'm game. I went and threw a round today, then sat down to watch disc golf videos when I got home. Provide that sort of coverage and you've enlarged the audience a great deal. I expect there will be such coverage available on YouTube after the tournaments--and that's likely to be where the largest audience actually is.

That audience isn't tied to play schedule, so setting a schedule to put a semi-final round (or whatever) in play for a livestreaming audience may not be the best choice. That could come at the cost of building up in-person audiences while only catering to the smallest portion of the online audience. I suspect it would be easier to build in-person audiences with rounds on both Saturday and Sunday, as that provides more flexibility for scheduling (folks can make it one day and not the other).

I also reckon your "picket fence" assumption is mistaken--I know vastly more families who don't act in that fashion than those who do. The conflict between wanting to play a round personally instead of watching the tour in-person is also moot--the tour is only in town that one weekend and a player can decide to spectate instead of play or simply play after the tour round is over. And shoot, players out on courses everywhere can still view the livestream as they play.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out, in any case.

That wont happen, we internet using disc golfers don't matter to him. We're not part of the vision :|.

I doubt he would post here even if we all ponied up the $50 to join the DGWT :p.

Glad to see Jamie posting here again, I wonder...does his boss know he is creeping around here :D ?

Haha, I'm self employed right now. :)

I'm giving myself one more shot to be on here. While I didn't like the person I was made out to be, I realize I had a hand in that. I'm over all that, I just want to be helpful where I can, and I've resolved to stop talking when I can't.

Always appreciate the respectful discourse, JT. And you definitely bring up some valid points. I was thinking that the tour was more geared toward building up a spectator base in person with the large events and was not thinking as much about the online viewership. I definitely agree that the current schedule lends itself more toward live streaming, so I think it hits the nail on the head there. If you can leave the one weekend day for a large final crowd, that will also play well on camera, so I think it strikes a nice balance even if it doesn't work as well for me to view it personally. I am gonna try and hit the Saturday round in person, though.

I think there's sort of a concession (unspoken, even) to reality, that very few people could come out every day, so just make that final day really good. From a media standpoint, I'm cool with it. I can get all the crowd-in-background B-Roll in one day and cut it together to make it look like there's thousands attending all week!

...but again, just speaking personally. Hope to see you out there!

While I didn't like the person I was made out to be, I realize I had a hand in that. I'm over all that, I just want to be helpful where I can, and I've resolved to stop talking when I can't.

JTacoma03 said:
From a media standpoint, I'm cool with it. I can get all the crowd-in-background B-Roll in one day and cut it together to make it look like there's thousands attending all week!

...but again, just speaking personally. Hope to see you out there!

Doubtful he will post on here. He has taken heat for not be inclusive to women and apparently behind the scenes some of the Pros have also given their opinion. It is best for him not to open up.

It will be interesting to see if this World Tour has legs to survive. Other than a few Europeans and Paul McBeth no one will compete in all the events. Also still trying to figure out why La Mirada is a non-PDGA sanctioned event...

Doubtful he will post on here. He has taken heat for not be inclusive to women and apparently behind the scenes some of the Pros have also given their opinion. It is best for him not to open up.

It will be interesting to see if this World Tour has legs to survive. Other than a few Europeans and Paul McBeth no one will compete in all the events. Also still trying to figure out why La Mirada is a non-PDGA sanctioned event...

Use of S&D? It is Jussi, after all.

Use of S&D? It is Jussi, after all.

He could use S&D if it was a PDGA event. S&D hasn't been banned in PDGA events. They're only trying to limit and control when it is used.

The only "penalty" for using S&D in a PDGA sanctioned tournament is possibly not having the rounds rated. Of course, if it is non-sanctioned, it won't get rated either so what's the difference?

Are we sure this is really unsanctioned? Are they going with the XA label or whatever it was like the St. Jude tourney? Seems ill-advised for a full tour.

Latest posts