• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golfer on coming season of SURVIVOR

If we are being completely real, they will probably talk about disc golf on the actual show a grand total of 0 times. I would bet a very nice disc that they never talk about it.

I think it's very likely that it NEVER comes up on the show, as you say. But they're starting on the same tribe, so I'm sure they'll make the connection with each other. I can only seeing shown on TV if their connection leads to a significant alliance that impacts the game.

I bet they give them a disc at some point just to see if they actually can kill some food with it............

.....To bad it will be a Gstar groove

This is the biggest exposure since Nick (on Season 2) brought a frisbee as his luxury item!!!!

cbc263b939d2326462140c25446d37d8717add5b_r.jpg

Search of pdga.com membership turns up nothing.

Name (Age): Dan Foley, 47
Tribe Designation: Blue Collar (Escameca)
Current Residence: Gorham, Maine
Personal Claim to Fame: I had a terrible fear of heights so I faced it head on. I went on my first airplane ride…and jumped out at 13,000 feet. Heights don't really bother me anymore.
Inspiration in Life: My Dad, Phil Foley. Now that I am an adult, I look back on the things my Dad did for my family (my siblings, my mom and myself) and I realize what kind of sacrifices he made for us. Having been one of the four kids that my parents adopted, I acknowledge even more the love that he gave all of us growing up and continues to give every day.
Hobbies: Anything with my wife, Erin, disc golf and working on my properties.
What is your favorite sport? If I'm watching, Football, and if I'm playing, disc golf.
Pet Peeves: People who drive too slow in the fast lane and won't get out of the way.
3 Words to Describe You: Opinionated, adventurous and gregarious.
If You Could Have 3 Things on The Island What Would They Be and Why? 1. A deck of cards to help pass the time 2. A picture of my family to remind me of what's waiting for me 3. Some disc golf discs to help bond with my tribe mates and to possibly use to hunt
SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: I think I have Stephenie's competitive spirit, Tony's cunning and scheming gameplay, and Rupert's strength, love of family and stunning good looks.
Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: To claim my rightful place amongst the elite winners of Survivor! Second, to challenge myself in the greatest psychological and sociological challenge ever!
Why You'll "Survive" SURVIVOR: Obviously, any challenge that involves a lot of running will not be in my "wheelhouse," but anything involving gross food eating, strength, swimming, puzzles or balance, I'll be in it to the end. As for the social game, I am a world class "schmooze" artist. I can charm my way out of almost anything.
Why Will You Be the Sole SURVIVOR: As a landlord, I am excellent at reading people and controlling some pretty out of control situations. As an Irishman, I have a glorious stubborn streak and I hate to lose. As a technician, I have a very analytical mind so I'll be great at puzzles. I'm also very good with my hands so I'll be a big help around camp. I am the entire package. Also, I am not above taking the rules of fair play in a spirited competition and grinding them to dust beneath my heel.

Great, an arrogant hipster will be introducing the sport to a national audience.

Great, an arrogant hipster will be introducing the sport to a national audience.

Dan is a postal worker and part of the Blue Collar tribe. I think all the hipsters will be on the No Collar tribe.

What do you see in the photo or bio that makes you think he is arrogant or a hipster?

Technically that's a flat cap not a beret. And that goatee is a little long and scruffy to be an artisinal hipster beard.

To me it reads as a working class Mic from the bahstin bah harbah corridor who's proud of his Irish roots.

does it get ANY better than this?!

ESPN HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!

flick you mean... only disc I have ever sawed off green pine tree limbs with CLEAN' its hard to do with a damn saw and how sticky that junk is'

Funny you say that. Some guy from ESPN just hit me up the other day. He really wants to get DG on the top 10. Nothing crazy, but it's something.

Here's one of Dan's pre-show interviews:

dan.jpg

Gordon Holmes: Your bio says that you can hunt with golf discs. So, a wild boar wanders into camp and you can go all "Tron" on it?

Dan Foley: (Laughs)

Holmes: You're going to need to explain that one.

Foley: It's called disc golf…not frisbee golf, that's different.

Holmes: We're not talking about Frolf?

Foley: (Laughs) No, it's disc golf. They're similar to frisbees, but it's different. Like regular golf there are different kinds of discs for different kinds of shots. And instead of trying to put a ball in hole, you're trying to put a disc in a basket. Essentially, some of them have very tapered edges. If I launched one at you and you tried to catch it? You're breaking every bone in your hand.

Holmes: What is the benefit of a tapered edge?

Foley: My home course, the opening pin is 801 feet. You're trying to throw this disc eight hundred feet. Professionals are getting four or five hundred feet. I'm throwing it about three hundred feet. And I'm getting pretty accurate with my discs.

Foley: I am not exactly the classic beauty that "Survivor" looks for. I'm a fat, bald guy with a stupid beard. But, I have style. I have panache. And I could stand to skip a few meals. I'm looking forward to the weight loss. I have no problems with the lack of food, I have no problems with the lack of sleep, I have no problems with the cold, the rain. And if it starts raining, the girls are going to love me because I am a walking furnace. I'm going to be at the bottom of the cuddle puddle every night.

Rest of interview here:
http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv...ing-to-be-at-the-bottom-of-the-cuddle-puddle/

Foley: It's called disc golf…not frisbee golf, that's different.

Holmes: We're not talking about Frolf?

Foley: (Laughs) No, it's disc golf. They're similar to frisbees, but it's different.

I like this guy already.

Hard to believe people still watch Survivor!?

Anyway, since there are two disc golfers on the same season, one of the contests will likely involve some sort of Frisbee skill and they'll edit the footage to create an image of rivalry between them.

Why do people even argue "roc vs buzzz" when "roc vs wasp" is a more legitimate comparison?

Huh? I suppose it depends on the roc mold and plastic, but I've always found rocs to be slightly less stable then a buzz and if the Buzzz was just coming out today it would likely be a wasp SS (i.e the buzzz is less stable than a Wasp).

I tend to watch these so called reality, errrrrrrrrrr, rigged shows every so often. Survivor was first, then amazing race followed by big brother and now America's got talent. But with school starting back up, that will change. One show that I wish would call Ken Climo, Avery Jenkins, McBeast or any other of the pros would be Dancing with the Stars.