• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golfing Honeymoon!

cpulley1

Hey folks! My future wife and I are in the early stages of planning a wedding. We've discussed the idea of a honeymoon and have decided that with our limited vacation time, limited budget, and unlimited love of disc golf, a disc golf trip would be an excellent vacation as a new couple. We live north of Atlanta and are looking at several clusters of courses in the south east.

I've made several trips to Florida and have played many of their courses, and a trip in June (2011) to Florida is a shade shy of miserable. We're looking at N/S Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee, or Kentucky as possible choices. I've been looking over the map browser, but there are so many courses that I thought we'd ask the ever-friendly disc golf community to help in our decision.

We are looking for a place with several 18+ hole courses and a mix course challenges for amateurs with ~2.5 yrs experience.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

Nashville - Bowling Green

Plenty of quality courses between these two locations.

Thats one way to say . . . I WILL NEVER GIVE UP THIS SPORT! Good thing is it sounds like she loves it too!

Charlotte NC
IDGC in Georgia (Near Augusta) . . . I havent been there but I am sure it is worth a visit.
Chattanooga has a good mix of courses
I also can second Bowling Green Kentucky

Last edited:
Congrats Cpulley. i'd gladly trade the traditional honeymoon i'll likely have for the honeymoon of my dreams that you'll be having.

if things don't work out with your bride to be, have her PM me, because i think i'm in love with her

Congrats Cpulley. i'd gladly trade the traditional honeymoon i'll likely have for the honeymoon of my dreams that you'll be having.

if things don't work out with your bride to be, have her PM me, because i think i'm in love with her

Ha! Maybe we should ask timg for a wife-swapping sub-forum? :D

I am from way over in California, but I did just get back from the Collegiate Nationals and I would highly recommend you make you're way over to the Augusta area and check out all there fine courses, and definitely make you're way over to the IDGC, it was like a disc golf mecca for me and my teammates!

Nashville, Bowling Green, Chattanooga all good. My wife and I spent our 2nd anniversary in Chattanooga- lots of other cool stuff to do as well- Lookout Mtn/Rock City, the Aquarium, great food, minor league baseball, the river, etc.

It may be just a tad West of what you're looking for - but the DFW area has TONS of courses as well as other things to do...just head West on 20 :D

Other than that - Charlotte and Augusta would be my next choices (though I haven't been to Augusta yet...)

Bowling Green is a fun destination with a bunch of courses very close to each other in town, and a really fantastic course (Holler in the Hills) within an easy day trip north.

Cincinnati could also be fun, with Idlewild, Banklick and Mt. Airy along with lots of other lower rated courses, and it has a little more to do than Bowling Green outside of disc golf.

Savanah and Charleston are real pretty coastal towns so u could get the beach, some unique accomodations and theres enough disc golf in the area without overwhelming you to have a good time...Does your wife have any pretty friends?

I'll agree with the Charlotte area, plenty of courses there no matter how good you are. And North Chattanooga has a great course in the sinks. There's also one near Chatt in Georgia in a state park that's a beautiful course.

So many suggestions! I see Augusta, Chattanooga, and Charlotte coming up a lot. I'll be sure to look at them more closely. On a side note, YES, she is an amazing woman to love the game as much as I do, and No, I'm not interested in a swap.

Thanks for all of the advice! Keep it coming!

Go with Bowling Green... that way you can play Lover's Lane. Sounds like a classic course to play on a DG honey moon. :)

Charlotte

I would have to say Charlotte or the surrounding areas are going to be the best bet. in charlotte city limits we have i think 9 courses. and if you go into southcarolina rock hill has tons of courses. including winthrop university where they host the nationals.. a very good mix of courses here from beginer to advanced.

Nashville has a number of fine courses, quite different from each other, and none are too grueling. Nashville also has tourist attractions, if that matters to you. And it's likely a to be a little cooler than many of these suggestions.

Charleston / Savannah have 3 excellent, though rather tough, courses between them, plus beaches and other vacation spots. Likely to be very hot in June.

Augusta can offer a half-dozen courses in a very close area. The IDGC has 3 courses; the other area courses are quite different from them.

Have you considered more of a road trip? Being June, you might look for courses in the mountains, away from the heat. I haven't played Chattanooga, but if you went there then up to Fontana Village (a honeymoon destination, itself), Richmond Hill in Asheville (another great place to visit), and Ashe County further up in NC, you'd play some excellent courses, enjoy great scenery on the drives between, and have plenty of other vacation opportunities along the way.

Have you considered more of a road trip? Being June, you might look for courses in the mountains, away from the heat. I haven't played Chattanooga, but if you went there then up to Fontana Village (a honeymoon destination, itself), Richmond Hill in Asheville (another great place to visit), and Ashe County further up in NC, you'd play some excellent courses, enjoy great scenery on the drives between, and have plenty of other vacation opportunities along the way.

Word of Wisdom!
DSCJNKY

I will throw Highbridge Hills into the mix. There's 7 or so 18 hole courses on site and I think John gives discounts for honey mooners (not 100% sure)...but it's super cheap anyway. The biggest con would be that it's pretty far.

Latest posts