• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc Innovations/Unique Molds

Ryan P.

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Seems like as good a place of any to have a list of all the innovations/unique molds that have ever come out and info about them. The first would be the beveled edge disc, which is now an Innova Aero? (correct me if I'm wrong) but was originally called an Eagle, in 1983. What other innovations have we had? I'm thinking company, mold name, year, and unique characteristic(s).

I realize there are a ton of discs that have flopped. Let's keep the list to PDGA approved molds, or at least mention if a mold was never approved.

QuestAT Turbo Putt, the disc Innova feared so much they complained to the PDGA to get it banned

Berg is pretty new but it's the most unique disc I've thrown. It's incredibly slow -- a true speed 1 disc. It has a headwind-fighting 0 turn, and yet still fades pretty minimally like your average putter mold. And the shape of the disc is really bizarre...kind of a thumb track with big volcano dome in the middle.

The disc shape and flight characteristics are unique, and the speed class is rare. It's a pretty one-of-a-kind mold in my book.

The Thumbtrac (Rhyno/Pig/Wolf)
The two piece mold (AMF/MVP)
The bead
Premium Plastic blends (started with Millennium)

The first overmolds have to be considered, MVP of course but I think the Quest URLD or RIP Graboid were first.

First bead disc as well, Aviar Driver maybe?

The first overmolds have to be considered, MVP of course but I think the Quest URLD or RIP Graboid were first.

First bead disc as well, Aviar Driver maybe?

Nope in 1998 the Max Flight 2 piece mold came out by Wham-O, a unique mold. Was not PDGA approved until 1999, The Two Piece mold being the controversy.

Also the Blowfly/II the Gumputt are in about as floppy a plastic I have seen for discs, and tyou would not want much floppier due to the wind.

Magnet/Titanic a DGA Magnet mold with a spacer on the nose, only a few like the Hydra a OS disc and the Magnet Clone, Legacy Clutch are other brands that have used a Concave wing for putting.

The Monarch was the first disc to have the grove in the mold, Monarch is not a bad disc, my brother used one for a year or two.

Last edited:
QuestAT Turbo Putt, the disc Innova feared so much they complained to the PDGA to get it banned

Not really, the mold was accidentally Approved at the same time the Wheel was, both discs got reviewed thanks to Innova's Dave D complaining and then subsequently both ban from PDGA competition. The old plastic 10 Meter Brick was going to be ban too but then Innova backed down when they saw how brittle the old discs were.

Speaking of Innova the Sonic is unique as only a few brands Dog discs or Wham-O fastback are PDGA approved in this style and not made to a Putter diameter but more in a catch/dog disc style. The Nova Is unique for its shape even if the mold was not made in an overmold style.

One of my favorite molds, the banger GT is pretty unique.

That is true, even the other disc with a GT from Discraft uses a more of a Thumbtrack style like Innova.

In the Discraft vain the lesser used Soft X Putt'r has a odd edge/wing, the bottom of the edge/wing is wider then the top of the wing, only noticeable on the inside.

DGA has two 6 speed midrange then Discraft has two 5 speed fairway discs, Archer and Stratus.

Latest posts