• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Recommendation for training a flat release

Timeetyo

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Hey guys, for some background info I am a complete beginner (2x out on the course on vacation - and impatiently awaiting NY to thaw out) and am looking to pick up a disk specifically that will give good feedback regarding release angle to help train me for a consistently flat release. An important note here is that I do not necessarily want a good 'beginner disc' that will be user friendly and useful on the course. I have a solid beginner setup with Aviar, Shark, & Leopard for now which will cover that. I want something when released flat - will fly flat (until the fade hits). When released with hyzer / anny - will hold that line and let me know I was off. The reason I am looking for this is I don't know that my disks are giving me that feedback now, and although I certainly will be using them for both practice and at the course I want something that isn't going to mask my flaws as a reference when practicing. For example...in the few times I've braved the snow my Aviar is dead straight unless I horridly shank it. I know that I am not good enough to release it that consistently at this point so the disk is covering for my flaws. I'm thinking a mid range would be best as then I don't have to worry that the flight path is due to my not getting the disk up to speed.

Thoughts?

To be honest, your Aviar should be pretty useful in this regard and hold the line it's thrown on. I'm assuming it's a PnA.
But yes, Comet.

MVP Tangent, if you want a premium disc.

The Comet is a great choice, but has a different feel than the Tangent. Not everyone likes the Comet's big bead, or domey shape. The Tangent is equally comfortable thrown forehand, or backhand.

My X Comet "tells on me" each and every time I get sloppy. Mainly when I'm not throwing smmooooothly, but I think it will do what you want as well.

I must be awesome ........cause my comet never fails me! Don't listen to me, I've only had my comet for one weekend . But loving it . A mid that I remember being touchy, was my skeeter. I suffer oat, and that thing would turn and burn if I wrist roll at all, great for dialing a hyzer flip, and super s flights when thrown flat. I feel that my t bird is a great release angle indicator. Stays straight on level, hyzer on hyzer , and anny on anny. That's my personal exp. Any way. But, too many people saying comet to ignore it. If you don't like it as a form detector you will certainly like it as a thrower.

Most putters, lids, and neutral mid ranges are your best bet.

The Comet is the de facto form diagnosis disc, X being your most touchy and Z being the most forgiven. The Fuse is very good for this as well. Tangent, Ontario Roc, Qms, beat DX Rancho Roc, Coyote and Mako are other good gets.

The Comet will definitely be the top answer and it's a great disc but be mindful that if you throw an X Comet dead flat with 300'+ power it's going to turn, I don't care what all the Comet form junkies say. So if you have that kind of power just keep that in mind. If you're throwing closer in the 200-250 range a Comet or a GL Fuse are probably your best bets. If you want to throw straight lines at the 300 and over range I'd go with something a bit more stable like a Mako, Dx Roc or X Buzzz.

Also keep in mind even when most people are throwing shots they want to go really straight at longer distances you're still usually putting some hyzer on it so it flips up a bit unless you're trying to straighten out something kinda OS.

The Comet is definitely a great disc that will give you a good idea of your release. Other discs I've found that hold a line really well are the Latitude 64 Pearl, Innova Mako, and the new Innova Foxbat. However, if you throw it too hard the Pearl will turn over on you and the Mako will fade when it slows down. Foxbat seems to stay pretty consistent, but it's awfully domey.

The Comet will definitely be the top answer and it's a great disc but be mindful that if you throw an X Comet dead flat with 300'+ power it's going to turn, I don't care what all the Comet form junkies say. So if you have that kind of power just keep that in mind. If you're throwing closer in the 200-250 range a Comet or a GL Fuse are probably your best bets. If you want to throw straight lines at the 300 and over range I'd go with something a bit more stable like a Mako, Dx Roc or X Buzzz.

Also keep in mind even when most people are throwing shots they want to go really straight at longer distances you're still usually putting some hyzer on it so it flips up a bit unless you're trying to straighten out something kinda OS.

^Bolded for emphasis. :thmbup:

Wow - I must say I am surprised there is this much of a consensus regarding the x comet. Other recommendation threads I've read on here seem to leave many more questions than answers.

One question I was wondering about the comet though is wouldn't it be easier for a beginner to identify release issues & angles with something with a closer to 0 HST? Looking at inflight #s the comet has -33% HST which I am wondering if it'll be hard to tell the difference between it's normal HST vs a poor release (remember this is noob self diagnosis). I was thinking that if there was something which is fairly straight in HST that will hold the release angle well that may be more helpful such as a Mako (0% / 6%) or Foxbat (-18% / 0%). Thoughts?

Thanks again

A z buzzz or cryZtal Buzz. A roc3, a buzzzSS if you aren't going to crank the he'll out of it. Any midrange basic midrange will do that for you if it's close to stable.

You should check out the inbounds flight chart. It shows a general idea of which discs will fly which way.

Also buy premium plastics. They will stay the same for way longer than base plastic.

Good luck on your new found hobby, it's highly addictive.

I'll second the comments on the Comet. My X Comet beat in fairly quickly and tracks right unless I release it on a hyzer. I haven't thrown a Tangent, but love my MVP discs. However they usually require a decent amount of snap to fly right so that may not be what you want either.

When I read your description I immediately thought of my Mako. It is NOT a wind fighter, but in low/no wind conditions it's almost completely neutral. I'll freely admit I rarely throw it on any line but a sweeping anhyzer that I want to turn all the way to the ground, but it will hold other lines well.

Wow - I must say I am surprised there is this much of a consensus regarding the x comet. Other recommendation threads I've read on here seem to leave many more questions than answers.

One question I was wondering about the comet though is wouldn't it be easier for a beginner to identify release issues & angles with something with a closer to 0 HST? Looking at inflight #s the comet has -33% HST which I am wondering if it'll be hard to tell the difference between it's normal HST vs a poor release (remember this is noob self diagnosis). I was thinking that if there was something which is fairly straight in HST that will hold the release angle well that may be more helpful such as a Mako (0% / 6%) or Foxbat (-18% / 0%). Thoughts?

Thanks again
Exactly right. The Comet is great for correcting form flaws but not necessarily for what you want. It is however a knee-jerk/groupthink sort of answer around here.

To be clear, the Comet is a great disc and has helped my game. I'm just not sure that a third time player is looking for the frustration that a Comet will almost inevitably bring. Most newbies don't even have a set "form" yet, let along need to clean it up.

Latest posts