• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Disc selection for me

TimZ

I can throw my DX Viking about 200' on a good drive for me, RHBH. 169 grams it flies straight finishes straight to very soft left for me at 200'. If I under power it the disc will hyzer out and stall to the left to 80-100'. Then there are other times where I can get a big long anhyzer shot out of it at 150-180' and it only has a minimal time to break back left before it hits the ground for a right turnover shot.

Should I try to continue to tweak driving form to maximize my distance on this disc or would you guys consider it time to upgrade?

Thanks,

Tim

I'm a beginner (8-9 months in) too and I really suggest to buy a putter and a mid-range and practice with them. Doing that has really helped me.
E: You could try Mako3 and DX Aviar.

Last edited:
Dx plastic tends to glide a lot, and I've only owned a champ viking, but I'm sure that disc could go farther than 200 feet.
But I'd say get something a bit more overstable in premium plastic, learn that, then go back to your dx viking to re-evaluate your form.

I'm a beginner (8-9 months in) too and I really suggest to buy a putter and a mid-range and practice with them. Doing that has really helped me.

This. It will really help you learn proper form, technique, and help you learn how to shape lines to make the disc go where you want. The viking, though good, should be placed on the sidelines for the time being. Pick up something like a Roc (or Roc3), Buzzz, or something similar.

Alright then, the downgrade it is.

I have a KC Roc 180 and a R-Pro Roc 174.

Was playing with a Z-Buzz 172 but it became too controllable and squirrely for me on approach shots. Which is what I had it for. New, the disc was great for that. It broke in wrong. I guess I was using the stability of it new as a crutch.

Thanks for your help. I'll be using the 174 off the tee for shorter shots.

I get what you are saying. I have to learn all manner of shots with the Roc 174.

Higher speed discs aren't going to help you if your not throwing 300+ feet. Work on your form and post a video of yourself driving.

DO NOT THROW DRIVERS! Fairway drivers at most. Get yourself some mids, Roc or Roc3 works well, and pick up a putter that feels good in the hand and is a bit overstable. You should probably get them in a durable plastic, because they are going to take a beating. But keep in mind that you have to be comfortable with the grip(KcPro for Rocs? GStar for Roc3?). Now, go play some rounds with only mids and putters. Try to look at videos of how they are supposed to fly, and keep that in mind when you play. Ask other players if they can watch you throw a few times, and comment on what you do wrong. When you can get a Roc(or another mid) close to at least 250', then you can start throwing something faster. I know someone that throws a putter over 300', so distance is not about the disc, but about the technique.

I know someone that throws a putter over 300', so distance is not about the disc, but about the technique.

PS Don't watch Mike C's videos and despair. That man bombs putters over 400' heh. He's badass and seems like a real nice guy on the forums here tho. He does have good instructional videos. Discraft also has some very nice instructional vids.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/thediscgolfvids

PS Don't watch Mike C's videos and despair. That man bombs putters over 400' heh. He's badass and seems like a real nice guy on the forums here tho. He does have good instructional videos. Discraft also has some very nice instructional vids.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/thediscgolfvids

I second this. Mike C's videos, especially the disc selection one helped me immensely in the beginning because they were easy for me to grasp the meaning of.

Another one that I like to share with my beginner friends is this one:

It is a bit cheesy but entertaining and informative.

Definitely drop all drivers until you can throw a mid 250', then pick up fairways and don't move up until you can throw those 350'. This will subsequently increase your distance with the mIds too.

I'd suggest any putter that feels good and is relatively neutral in flight, and a mid like a Roc, mako, buzzz, M4, guage etc.

I made the mistake to start throwing a lot of high speed stuff as a beginner, which didnt help at all.
Listen to what the guys here tell you. Getting a putter that feels nice in your hands and isnt super overstable will help your putting game a lot.

practicing on a wide open field with mids like mako, core, comet will make you a much better disc golf player. Don´t get frustrated, it won´t be that easy to controll those discs right away but once you did it, you will feel way more confident about your game.

Latest posts