• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc weight, brand etc

RIA1911

Hello everyone, beginner here. What type of disc should i look for, weight, brand all info helpful. thank you

Great beginner discs are Fairway, Mid Range, and Putters. You basically want to avoid high speed drivers until you start to get a little better.

Here are some examples of discs that are great for beginners:

Fairway Drivers
Innova Leopard
Innova Cheetah
Innova Gazelle

Mid Range
Discraft Buzzz
Discraft Buzzz SS
Discraft Comet
Innova Roc

Putters - Putter are really more of a preference, but here are some of the most common
Aviar
Magnet
Wizard

As far as weights, for the fairway drivers anything in the 160s should be fine, just don't feel like you need to go max weight. In most cases the heavier the discs the more overstable (fade) it will be, beginners usually do better with understable (turns easier) discs. Lighter weights are more understable.

For Mid Range and Putters people vary on which weights they like. I myself prefer light weight drivers, and heavier mids and putter. Some people like everything max weight some like everything lighter.

Brands are also a preference, Innova, Discraft, MVP, latitude 64, they all have great discs, just find out which ones work best for you.

Hope that helps you out a little bit.

find the person you know with the most discs, ask to throw as many as they will let you

then apply that to ^ and you got 2-4 discs you can get to know

Pick 3-4 discs and get to know them very well after a month reward yourself with one more just to feed the addiction, keep it below speed 10 ;)

Pick 3-4 discs and get to know them very well after a month reward yourself with one more just to feed the addiction, keep it below speed 10 ;)

ignore the speed limits, go buy a nuke and blast off... ...

here's my rundown of forum advice for new members, it never changes.

1. get a majestic avatar that sparkles in the wind (so far you've failed at that one)
2. learn to use the search function
3. what was 3?
4. beware the prerube
5. ignore new013 at all costs, even if he's on fire.

Rule #5 is the most important

Hello everyone, beginner here. What type of disc should i look for, weight, brand all info helpful. thank you

re: Weights.... here is a very loose guide of the general weights you should consider

"Average" Adult Male - 168g-171g
"Big" Adult Male (Either by weight or height) - 170-172g
Smaller Adult male - 165-168

Obviously, this is a guide and not locked in stone. but there is a performance issue to finding the correct weight range for your own abilities. Too heavy and you will lose distance but gain control, too light and you gain distance but lose control. Also, understand that the above weights can adjust based on your own individual strength and athleticism.
I know i am going to get flamed but here is a list of discs i've found to be generally beginner friendly:

Max Distance Drivers:
Wraith (Good FH and BH disc)

All Purpose (Long Fairway) Drivers:
Sidewinder
Valkyrie
Orc (Good FH and BH disc)

General Fairway Drivers:
Teebird (Good FH and BH disc)
Leopard
Gazelle

Short Fairway / Long Approach Drivers:
Roc
Skeeter
Buzzz
Spider
Ion
Rhyno (Good FH and BH disc)

Putter:
Dart
Aviar
(probably, any putter)

re:plastic
In the driver ranges i would probably recommend Champion. It's most durable and will remain consistent longest.
In the shorter ranges you could go with allmost any plastic.
If you play in courses with a lot of trees you will probably want to stay away from Pro and DX plastics as they are the least durable,
In the beginning, i do not recommend star to anyone as it takes a while to break in and is very overstable to start.

Last edited:
From Discmania:

Putters:
P1 and P2 are both suitable for beginners. P2 offers more high speed stability and can be ripped harder.

Mids:
D-MD1 is Roc-like in flight. Starts out overstable, beats to straight, then to a nice turnover disc.
MD2 is a very straight and workable mid range. Flat throws go straight, hyzers go left (RHBH) and anhyzers go right, reliably. A great disc and a personal favorite of mine, especially in P-Line, though pink, flat and gummy C-Lines come close.

Drivers: Discmania doesn't really have anything in the slower end of the driver scale, but a P-CD or an S, C or D-Line TD might well work.

Prodiscus:

JOKERi is a great stable to overstable putter, great in both Basic and Premium. Basic MIDARi is a great stable to understable mid range.

re: Weights.... here is a very loose guide of the general weights you should consider

"Average" Adult Male - 168g-171g
"Big" Adult Male (Either by weight or height) - 170-172g
Smaller Adult male - 165-168

I know i am going to get flamed but here is a list of discs i've found to be generally beginner friendly:

Body weight is not important for throwing weights, it is the thrower's style not girth that matters.

Example 1: Say player one is a 6'6" muscular 240 and player 2 is 5'5" tubby 240. They will not throw the same wieght discs just because they are 240. Snap and arm speed has so much more to do with it than your weight.
Example 2: 2 twins play. Twin one throws backhand with a lot of snap and early release, twin 2 has great timing, but far less snap. They are the same weight, get the same scores, yet they would use different discs in diferent ways

your own size is nearly irrellevant if you do not know how to throw.

Last edited:
My advice is to try friend's discs and buy based on your impression of them. Everyone is different and you will waste a ton of $$ buying stuff based on the "expert opinions" here.

My advice is to try friend's discs and buy based on your impression of them. Everyone is different and you will waste a ton of $$ buying stuff based on the "expert opinions" here.

This is about it. :hfive:

I like what a comet does, so I would be inclided to say, "get a comet". but odds are you throw different than me and you will hate the comet.
or...
The only starfire I have ever thrown was well beat in and does not fly like a normal starfire. I can base my opinion on this one disc and you could get a starfire and it not do anything like what I said.

Body weight is not important for throwing weights, it is the thrower's style not girth that matters.

Example 1: Say player one is a 6'6" muscular 240 and player 2 is 5'5" tubby 240. They will not throw the same wieght discs just because they are 240. Snap and arm speed has so much more to do with it than your weight.
Example 2: 2 twins play. Twin one throws backhand with a lot of snap and early release, twin 2 has great timing, but far less snap. They are the same weight, get the same scores, yet they would use different discs in diferent ways

your own size is nearly irrellevant if you do not know how to throw.

you are absolutely right....
but my "weight" chart is a very basic way of helping guys "start" closer to their correct ranges.

Your argument only works if someone has the requisite skill to throw. Mine is a generalization of where (typically) someone will end up or should start. It helps them get "close" to a usable disc from the get-go. I cant tell you how many times i've read/watched/talked to someone who started with a 175g disc because "the pro selling the discs told me that's what i should get" only to drop down to 169g/170g and see an immediate and noticeable difference.

self described "average guys" end up in the 168-171g range. this is an observation based on what i've seen. Not fact. there are always guys who buck the trend, but if you went to a course, asked 100 self described "Average" guys (not super buff, not super athletic, not super fat, not super skinny guys, not super tall guys, but run of the mill 5'6-5'10' "average joes") this is where they tend to be. The up/down variances are added to help people outside this range get an idea of where they would typically end up on this scale. It's for information, and not an exact, but a generalization (especially for the "not" advanced and/or new).

i'm quite sure most will agree, but someone will respond and say "i'm 5'7" and i throw 175g discs." - it's inevitable.

you are absolutely right....
but my "weight" chart is a very basic way of helping guys "start" closer to their correct ranges.

Your argument only works if someone has the requisite skill to throw. Mine is a generalization of where (typically) someone will end up or should start. It helps them get "close" to a usable disc from the get-go. I cant tell you how many times i've read/watched/talked to someone who started with a 175g disc because "the pro selling the discs told me that's what i should get" only to drop down to 169g/170g and see an immediate and noticeable difference.

self described "average guys" end up in the 168-171g range. this is an observation based on what i've seen. Not fact. there are always guys who buck the trend, but if you went to a course, asked 100 self described "Average" guys (not super buff, not super athletic, not super fat, not super skinny guys, not super tall guys, but run of the mill 5'6-5'10' "average joes") this is where they tend to be. The up/down variances are added to help people outside this range get an idea of where they would typically end up on this scale. It's for information, and not an exact, but a generalization (especially for the "not" advanced and/or new).

i'm quite sure most will agree, but someone will respond and say "i'm 5'7" and i throw 175g discs." - it's inevitable.

I will respond by saying that your size and the amount of snap you have are completely unrelated. period.

i know you are pro, and i respect your status on this forum, but your words are fundamentally incorrect. Physics proves this.

Taller guys get more arm whip and mass transfer (potential to kinetic energy). This is why baseball pitchers tend to be 6'2" or taller (same with professional qb's.)

Girth does matter also due to energy transfer via potential to kinetic energy. Simply put, they throw "harder" because of the extra weight.

A disc can only go as far as the thrower can push it. A taller guy with longer arms, or a bigger guys with more power, can "push" a disc farther than me (who is an average guy at 5'9"), this is just physics (or physical limitations" if you wish).

Style, is a highly refined skill of energy transfer that relies on maximizing a highly specific and perfect set of conditions.

But, simply, if height and girth didnt matter, then the world record could be set by a baby, if he knew how to throw "better" as you suggest. It is true that the throwing "form" is integral to the process, but disregarding the basic physical limitations of one person against the next is foolish.

I can tell you, the taller guys with the same skill can outthrow me. The bigger guys with the same skill throw heavier discs equal or farther than me. Much like other sports there is an "ideal" size, and unless you have it, you are (to an extent) at a disadvantage based on whatever size deficiencies you possess.

The one thing i will say, based on my observations, the taller lanky guy (with a long arm wingspan) seems to have the prototypical body for DG. - This isnt to suggest that others cant be successful, its justa generalization of the body type that would be best suited naturally for DG.

Last edited:
Everytime I see that DJJJ has posted in a thread, I take look. Everytime it is hilarious.

Everytime I see that DJJJ has posted in a thread, I take look. Everytime it is hilarious.

Truth is by nature self-evident. As soon as you remove the cobwebs of ignorance that surround it, it shines clear.
- Mohandas Gandhi

Latest posts