• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Weights

Why do you think? If a 177g Boss is unsellable & would need to be reground, remelted, & remolded (all procedures that cost $$) to be able to be sold, doesn't it make financial sense for the disc company to fudge the weight a little to a legal, sellable number?

Also the PDGA has no way of penalizing companies that don't mark their discs correctly so what does it really matter?

possible, but that doesnt explain discs marked 172 that weigh 173 and 173.20, cause thats the case with my 2 newest discs...i think they just guestimate or weigh only a few and then mark a whole batch of them

Also the PDGA has no way of penalizing companies that don't mark their discs correctly so what does it really matter?

well i dont like throwing max weight, i prefer 172ish and i was stretching my comfort zone by getting a 174, and turns out the thing was almost 178...thats a big difference when it comes to a high speed disc like that.

Max weight = 176g

On a LOT of popular discs the actual max legal weight is 176g.
http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-approved-discs-pdf
But it seems like all I ever see marked as a max is 175. Anyone ever see "176" marked from the factory on the discs below?

E.g. of legal 176's: Avenger, Nuke, Predator, Tracker, Aviar, Banshee, Beast, Boss, Cheetah, Cro, Dart, Eagle, Gator, Gazelle, Katana, Leopard, Max, Monster, Orc, Starfire, TeeBird....

But it seems like all I ever see marked as a max is 175. Anyone ever see "176" marked from the factory on the discs below?

E.g. of legal 176's: Avenger, Nuke, Predator, Tracker, Aviar, Banshee, Beast, Boss, Cheetah, Cro, Dart, Eagle, Gator, Gazelle, Katana, Leopard, Max, Monster, Orc, Starfire, TeeBird....

thats new info to me

It was a 180 Comet. I re-weighed it and it was 181 so I called and reported myself to the PDGA for practicing with an illegal disc.

Well the max weight for a comet is 180.9 so your scale could have just not been calibrated properly. I suggest you get a smaller, more accurate scale and reweigh the disc.

Well the max weight for a comet is 180.9 so your scale could have just not been calibrated properly. I suggest you get a smaller, more accurate scale and reweigh the disc.

You're probably right. I used the hanging scale in the produce section at Walmart. I thought those things were spot on.

interesting point. This last fall MS didn't have the champion glow TL that I ordered off the website but on the phone told me they had a 176 from a previous tourney. However, when I got it 175 was written on the back instead. Haven't been able to weigh it yet to verify. And now that you mention it, I can't recall ever seeing anything higher than 175 written on any driver.

Latest posts