• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc won't fly expected flight pattern

getchofil

Currently I throw LHFH for driving and RHBH, which not ideal because I can't get a right turn, everything goes pretty straight and then the left hook. Ideally I would figure out my LHBH but that is pretty slow coming so far.

I have bought and thrown a few discs (Archangel, Vulcan, Leopard) that according to Innova's flight charts are supposed to help me out but I've had no such luck. Most recently I got a Roadrunner ( I genuinely like the disc but it isn't doing what I had purchased it for), that does, as most discs do for me, straight out, no right turn, then left hook when it comes time to fade.

In terms of throwing I have adapted my throw by releasing at a sharper angle, opposed to flat, but that has proven to require quite a learning curve to not force unintended rollers not enough, leaving my disc way out on dog leg right holes.

Any thoughts or tips on why the discs, that according to numbers are supposed to go right followed by right fade. Or any other recommended discs that might prove to be more understable.

No disc will fade right assuming a RHBH throw. If by fade you mean anhyzer get yourself a Comet or a Fuse. It sounds like the discs you're currently throwing might be too fast for you however. How far are you throwing your current stuff?

How far are you throwing the discs? It takes a certain amount of power to evoke the flight pattern.

Joe's Universal Flight Chart from Gotta Go Gotta Throw gives power requirements for most discs. Does your distance line up with the power guidelines?

Then there's questions of form. For example, you might be releasing the discs with hyzer even without realizing it. You could take some video and submit it to the form mavens in the form analysis/critique forum.

Or you could just have bad luck and gotten poor quality discs.

If you know an experienced player with skills, have him/her throw your discs and see how they fly. If they fly properly, ask that person to give you some help with your form -- usually a free beer or two will get you a lesson.

Slower discs like a Stingray are easier when lacking snap/power. Faster discs need to get up to a speed requirement to fly according to their numbers.

If you have slower arm speed the Archangel will turn right or anhyzer. Is the Archangel relatively new? If yes, it will start to turn right once it gets a little beat in. Ive never thrown a Stingray, but it is a slower speed disc and may suit your needs. If arm speed isnt your issue you should try a Mamba, IMO they are $$.

Odds are you aren't getting the disc up to speed. Learn the form. Really learn good form. Smooth out good form and in time your discs will do what they say they do. In the mean time, practice good form. There are plenty of people here who are more than willing to tell you what you are doing wrong if you post a video in the technique forum.

I think there are models of discs that do not do what the numbers say they will. If I cannot make a vulcan work and neither can anyone in my group of friends, the disc is the problem. I asked a local pro and he said he could not get it to work either. I have other high speed drivers I get to work correctly and go to the right (RHBH). The sidewinder is another one that does not work for me. Wondered if it was just those models? The roadrunner works well for me.

No disc will fade right assuming a RHBH throw. If by fade you mean anhyzer get yourself a Comet or a Fuse. It sounds like the discs you're currently throwing might be too fast for you however. How far are you throwing your current stuff?

I can make my roadrunner fade out to the right when thrown flat

turning over is mainly a result of speed. So my guess is tht you dont get the discs up to speed.

How far are you throwing your discs ?

Currently I throw LHFH for driving and RHBH, which not ideal because I can't get a right turn, everything goes pretty straight and then the left hook. Ideally I would figure out my LHBH but that is pretty slow coming so far.

I have bought and thrown a few discs (Archangel, Vulcan, Leopard) that according to Innova's flight charts are supposed to help me out but I've had no such luck. Most recently I got a Roadrunner ( I genuinely like the disc but it isn't doing what I had purchased it for), that does, as most discs do for me, straight out, no right turn, then left hook when it comes time to fade.

In terms of throwing I have adapted my throw by releasing at a sharper angle, opposed to flat, but that has proven to require quite a learning curve to not force unintended rollers not enough, leaving my disc way out on dog leg right holes.

Any thoughts or tips on why the discs, that according to numbers are supposed to go right followed by right fade. Or any other recommended discs that might prove to be more understable.

Forget all of that, you're doing it all backwards. When you go to play just use LHBH all day until you develop your throw. Either do field work or find a course with a lot of right turning holes. No point in doing RHBH and LHFH when they accomplish the same task. Ive started to develop my LHBH and given up even using my RHFH as BH is superior to FH. Develop your throws then worry about the discs imo.

Last edited:
I have the same problem because I throw RHFH and LHBH.
First solution, stop buying new discs, beat to crap discs will probably fly more like you want.
Last, learn to throw a Thumber and Tomahawk.

I have the same problem with the drivers not turning over like they should. I found that a stingray, leopard, or valkyrie in base plastic will beat in to a driver that even I can flip, but it takes a while. Except for the stingray that is. The DX stingray flips out of the box.

I have the same problem because I throw RHFH and LHBH.
First solution, stop buying new discs, beat to crap discs will probably fly more like you want.
Last, learn to throw a Thumber and Tomahawk.

This is prolly a good tip too. I have friends that buy discs all the time meanwhile they havent mastered the discs they already have. At the same time I just keep throwing my small bag but Ive mastered ALL of my discs and know how they throw and for the most part never have problems throwing into brush and such and can fly a disc just right for the hole at hand. My friends ALWAYS end up in the woods cuz they are just chucking dics not knowing how their discs fly cuz they have to many and never master a single disc in their bag. Its actually pretty funny to watch as they end up in the woods over and over. :wall:

Last edited:
learn to throw all the shots. If not you are never going to be able to respond to the 3 threads a week called "if you could only throw one disc".

Archangel was the disc that taught me how to throw, started off fading quick, then shifted to straight, then when i was able to throw it and have it turn, it went left once and bounced off a car never to be seen again. You will get it in time, the flight numbers are assuming you can get the disc to the first number , which is the speed... If you cant get the disc to it's required speed, it won't fly how it is supposed to

I can get discs to flip, some drivers.

But I find the late-breaking right turn (RHBH,) what I think you're thinking of as "fade right," to be about the toughest shot to get down consistently. It really takes tight form, and nailing the speed and spin to get that shot to happen.

Latest posts