• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving like a newbie or worse!

Rickcin

Bogey Member
I headed out today to improve/work on my driving and getting some distance beyond my usual 100 to 130 feet, pretty bad!

It seems all of my throws go high, hook way to the left and roll when hitting the ground.

I'm guessing I'm throwing nose up?

Ideally, how high should a disc travel and I'm guessing it should be parallel to the surface of the ground?

Height depends. If you throw a hyzer, you need more height....a spike hyzer needs to thrown very high. Nose angle is kind of misunderstood. You need to look at nose angle compared to the angle of throw. Throwing uphill, your nose angle isn't truly nose down or you will throw it into the ground. But it has to be nose down in comparison to the angle of the hill. If you could draw a line along the line of throw and another line on the disc as it moves along that line, the nose of the disc should be down compared to the line of throw.

One way to get the nose down, is to put additional pressure on the thumb...that pushes the nose of the disc down a bit more. So it is possible you are pressing your thumb lightly on the top plate. Also, before you throw, hold the disc out at arm's length along your intended flight. Your wrist should be slightly bent down, which along with the thumb pressure, will put the disc in a nose down position.

Learning to throw a golf disc can be very challenging. Even more so if you have a background of throwing around a larger Frisbee type disc. Driving is one of the later skill that should be on your learning curve, IMO. Find a neutral mid or putter, and pick a tree/ basket, a couple hundred feet away. Work on stand still throws. Pure reach back and flat pull throws. This practice on flat throw, even release, is the foundation for driving, upshots and putting. Begin to move this action out, further from your target. There are a ton of ways to improve. You will get a lot of feedback and there is now a LOT of video and online help. The above is just my input.

I am throwing just a putter and 5 speed mid range discs and ironically, I'm doing so from a standing position without the footwork steps. This was the info that I've read about for someone who is new to the sport and it's backed up by many YouTube videos.

Guess I just need to continue throwing in a wide open field to a target and hope that I can improve at some point. Perhaps I've unrealistic expectations since I've only been out there
throwing the discs on 8 or 10 occasion.
Wondering if I could get some tips from a local play, if that would be worthwhile if I could find someone willing to work with me for a modest fee? I'm wondering how most others learn?

I am throwing just a putter and 5 speed mid range discs and ironically, I'm doing so from a standing position without the footwork steps. This was the info that I've read about for someone who is new to the sport and it's backed up by many YouTube videos.

Guess I just need to continue throwing in a wide open field to a target and hope that I can improve at some point. Perhaps I've unrealistic expectations since I've only been out there
Wondering if I could get some tips from a local play, if that would be worthwhile if I could find someone willing to work with me for a modest fee? I'm wondering how most others learn?
Don't get frustrated. It is a new athletic type movement, it just takes some time. If you feel comfortable, find a local league that caters to a more beginners crowd. I have ran one for a few years. We focused on new players and freely worked with them. Providing insight when requested. Some want no help, they just want to watch other players to learn. It is also a good place to perhaps find some names. I am guessing you are simply doing a couple things incorrectly. That is likely what is causing you difficulty getting over your current hurdle.

I learned by watching others and having club members give me advice. One thing I learned at the beginning was that I am mainly a forehand player.....it was dangerous for others to be around me if I was doing a backhand throw. After giving up on backhands for a while, I finally got a lesson and my backhand has improved. One thing I struggled with was standstills....while I can do them now, I couldn't then. Instead, I did an abbreviated walkup. I started with both feet together and then moved my forward foot into its spot as I 'reached back'. I found I needed to do that to get the timing right. Now I'm able to do a full walk-up or a true standstill when needed.

I hate to say it, but as more people have begun playing disc golf...not only are there more YT coaches, but prices for lessons have gone up. When I got my first lesson a year ago, I paid $50 for an hour lesson. Now the same person is asking around $200 an hour. And it is almost impossible to find someone charging $50 an hour. As a 63 year old, who just wants to get a bit better and doesn't want to go pro....$100 or so is way too much for me to spend on a lesson. But it could be worth it depending on what a person wants to get out of the lesson(s).

I learned by watching others and having club members give me advice. One thing I learned at the beginning was that I am mainly a forehand player.....it was dangerous for others to be around me if I was doing a backhand throw. After giving up on backhands for a while, I finally got a lesson and my backhand has improved. One thing I struggled with was standstills....while I can do them now, I couldn't then. Instead, I did an abbreviated walkup. I started with both feet together and then moved my forward foot into its spot as I 'reached back'. I found I needed to do that to get the timing right. Now I'm able to do a full walk-up or a true standstill when needed.

I hate to say it, but as more people have begun playing disc golf...not only are there more YT coaches, but prices for lessons have gone up. When I got my first lesson a year ago, I paid $50 for an hour lesson. Now the same person is asking around $200 an hour. And it is almost impossible to find someone charging $50 an hour. As a 63 year old, who just wants to get a bit better and doesn't want to go pro....$100 or so is way too much for me to spend on a lesson. But it could be worth it depending on what a person wants to get out of the lesson(s).
Exactly what I had in mind, about $50 an hour to work with me for a while, more than that I would not be willing to pay someone and I'd be resigned to making progress at a snails pace.

I headed out today to improve/work on my driving and getting some distance beyond my usual 100 to 130 feet, pretty bad!

It seems all of my throws go high, hook way to the left and roll when hitting the ground.

Ideally, how high should a disc travel and I'm guessing it should be parallel to the surface of the ground?
Probably. Nose up allows air to hit the bottom of the disc, slows it significantly, and I think pushes it harder in either direction that it is tipping/curving. My best flat throws, on level ground, tend to only get maybe 5-10' above the ground. When I mess up, usually by either trying to throw too hard, or trying to watch my throw instead of focusing on my form, my discs often head skyward, don't go as far, and often also curve drastically off target (usually left). Those train-wrecks of mine may be nose up, and/or throw angled up.

There is a part of this site dedicated to form reviews. You can video yourself throwing, post it there, and get free advice from guys that really know their stuff. Or, watch any of countless videos for beginners on UTube. With the UTube learning, video yourself, and I recommend then to do it in slow motion mode, and watch it over and over, and even drag it frame by frame, and see what you are doing versus what form should be. I almost guarantee you will find you are not even doing what you thought you were doing, much less real good form. Plus, continue doing video every so often, to see if you are making improvements. I often find that trying to improve one thing, by focusing on it, I mess up something else that I was focusing on, or only fixed recently. Don't expect to turn pro in a month - it takes time. I think muscle memory is a big part of improvement, and that takes time. I am 4-5 months playing, max at 250-265', and I have plateaued for weeks or longer several times already. Some things I have fixed so far, or know I still have issues with: don't round. Reach back far, head, hips, shoulders all face back, let hips twitch first (start your turn/throw), they should pull shoulders, and then arm last. I still start my arm too soon - most beginners do. Disc should travel very close to a straight line from reach back to release. Follow through. Keep disc and throw flat and level (for now - later you can work with hyzer, anhyzer, etc. FYI, you don't have to get good to play on a course. Research your area, find the most beginner friendly course, and go have fun. Field work is great, and I am a big fan of that and back yard putting, but also play the beginner friendly course(s), have fun, and maybe meet some players that can help you improve! Be patient, and enjoy the journey!

I don't offer advice very often because..........sigh................I haven't figured it out either. Well I have, I just can't do it.

But, a throw that goes high and hooks left 100 feet? I have a suggestion, because I see this throw from every newbie on the course. (I NEVER say anything to them. I leave that to the pros.)

The direction of your throw is not straight in front of your chest. It is in line with your shoulders. Almost every newbie faces their target and throws to the right, at least on my course, or pushes a weak putt in front of them. But they figure this out pretty soon.

The thing they don't figure out is the elevation of that throw. The elevation of your throw is likely to also be in line with your shoulders. If your front shoulder is higher than your back shoulder, normal for a newbie, your throw goes up. Get your weight on your front foot, your front shoulder comes level, your throw goes level.

I don't offer advice very often because..........sigh................I haven't figured it out either. Well I have, I just can't do it.

But, a throw that goes high and hooks left 100 feet? I have a suggestion, because I see this throw from every newbie on the course. (I NEVER say anything to them. I leave that to the pros.)

The direction of your throw is not straight in front of your chest. It is in line with your shoulders. Almost every newbie faces their target and throws to the right, at least on my course, or pushes a weak putt in front of them. But they figure this out pretty soon.

The thing they don't figure out is the elevation of that throw. The elevation of your throw is likely to also be in line with your shoulders. If your front shoulder is higher than your back shoulder, normal for a newbie, your throw goes up. Get your weight on your front foot, your front shoulder comes level, your throw goes level.
I do line up with my right should facing the target which is facing straight ahead which would be 90 degrees to the left of the target.

As others have posted, I'm probably throwing nose up since my disc is climbing and then turning left on its side, hitting the ground and rolling for a country mile. I've only witnessed one throw by an experienced player and the disc flew at a uniform height, about 8 to 10 feet above the ground and went as straight as could be.

If that country mile roll was straight ahead, I would be interested in using that. My problem is, any rollers I get, and mine are usually ones that turn too much and flip right and into the ground, and I have zero control over them. They roll wherever they want, sometimes a mile ahead toward the basket, but just as likely a mile left or right instead, or they smash into the ground and don't roll at all. No - I am not ready for the roller as a tool - not yet. I try for and love that flat, 5-10' above the ground, level throw. I hyzer a few discs that have big turn, but I struggle to find a consistent release that makes them reliable for me. I briefly had a 149g DX Mamba that I could hyzer really nice, reliable flip up to flat, straight, and it was my max distance disc, then a couple hard tree hits, a chunk of disc gone, and it bent big time. I flattened it out, looks normal (less the missing chunk), but it no longer flips up reliably. So close to useless that I rarely even take it to practice field any more, much less bag it. That disc sent me buying more light weight Mambas, but, sadly, none ever hit the sweet spot for me the way that one did.

The most common problem is trying to throw too hard. I found when I just focused on throwing straight I also got much better distance too.Throw from a stand still, no walk up. Focus on throwing slow, straight, smooth, flat & level. Flat means nose flat, once you learn flat, then you can more easily learn to skillfully throw nose down & nose down. Level means with no heyser or anheyser angles. Once you master this basic, near effortless, approach you can better evolve your form, techniques & skills. Most important stay as relaxed as you can with no unnecessary tension in your throwing arm.

The easier you throw, the farther it'll go. Watch vids on throwing from standstill.... Good luck.

I do line up with my right should facing the target which is facing straight ahead which would be 90 degrees to the left of the target.

As others have posted, I'm probably throwing nose up since my disc is climbing and then turning left on its side, hitting the ground and rolling for a country mile. I've only witnessed one throw by an experienced player and the disc flew at a uniform height, about 8 to 10 feet above the ground and went as straight as could be.
If I were you, I would try what Timothy said. Actually, I will add, video yourself - see if your shoulders are aimed upward when you release your disc. If so, bring your shoulders level, focus on keeping your throw level, and good chance that fixes your sky left issue. Video doesn't lie - video some throws, and look for what is causing it. Fix that, and video again, and fix the next thing, then the next, and the next. At least for me, that is how I keep improving. Find and fix the worst, most apparent issue, wash, rinse, and repeat! Good luck.

The most common problem is trying to throw too hard. I found when I just focused on throwing straight I also got much better distance too.Throw from a stand still, no walk up. Focus on throwing slow, straight, smooth, flat & level. Flat means nose flat, once you learn flat, then you can more easily learn to skillfully throw nose down & nose down. Level means with no heyser or anheyser angles. Once you master this basic, near effortless, approach you can better evolve your form, techniques & skills. Most important stay as relaxed as you can with no unnecessary tension in your throwing arm.

The easier you throw, the farther it'll go. Watch vids on throwing from standstill.... Good luck.
I consistently throw the worst, and especially sky left, when I try to throw the hardest! Trying to throw too hard screws up everything on me. That, and following really good drives, I will often start turning my head too soon, because I rush to see that beauty on the next drive, which also leads to big disappointment!

Interesting comment about focusing on a smooth natural throw rather than trying to get as much force behind it as possible which is really what I've been doing, thanks.

I consistently throw the worst, and especially sky left, when I try to throw the hardest! Trying to throw too hard screws up everything on me. That, and following really good drives, I will often start turning my head too soon, because I rush to see that beauty on the next drive, which also leads to big disappointment!
Excellent, more ways to experiment with my throws❗

YouTube is still free. Nets and baskets are comparatively cheap.

Learning to throw a golf disc can be very challenging. Even more so if you have a background of throwing around a larger Frisbee type disc. Driving is one of the later skill that should be on your learning curve, IMO. Find a neutral mid or putter, and pick a tree/ basket, a couple hundred feet away. Work on stand still throws. Pure reach back and flat pull throws. This practice on flat throw, even release, is the foundation for driving, upshots and putting. Begin to move this action out, further from your target. There are a ton of ways to improve. You will get a lot of feedback and there is now a LOT of video and online help. The above is just my input.
I heartily agree with this course. This is how I always share with new throwers. 1st - Form, 2nd - accuracy, 3rd - let distance come naturally.

One other lesson I share is after the release, don't tense up and try to stop your momentum. Let your body naturally go through after the release to avoid sore elbows and shoulders.

Latest posts