• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc won't fly expected flight pattern

There are so many factors that can affect the flight of the disc.
New, "out of the box " discs don't fly like well seasoned discs.
If you don't have the necessary power or arm speed the disc won't fly as advertised.
Are you throwing max weight when maybe you should be throwing something lighter (or vice versa)?
The different plastic types can have subtly different stabilities.
What is your angle of release?
Are you committed to the throw or just half assing it?

hey bud.

i do the same thing; join the club - it sucks. with that said, there are some pretty sweet lines you can hit just throwing RHBH. you'll never get a huge skip around a right corner, but with some finesse and control you can put yourself in almost as good of a position as people who throw forehand and backhand with their right.

the magic discs for me are as follows: an opto pure, a zero hard pure, an axis and a fuse.

the opto pure and axis will behave similarly when put up to speed. rip them hard and flat; they go straight. once you learn your release angles, you can put these on a wicked anhyzer that will *HOLD* for a while, then straighten out. as long as you have enough spin, they will continue to follow the line the curve put them on, but as they fight out of it they will straight up a bit and not fade back toward the left. very very good for 45 degree turns or even sharper sometimes.

as far as turns that need to be drastic, roll with the fuse or similar understable disc. learn to control it - it's hard to throw turnovers consistently; i can't do it yet - and it'll help immensely.

to be honest, for most all shots that give me room, i've putting my stable discs out there on anhyzers with plenty of snap and zip on them. they'll hold the turn. zero hard pure is a beautiful turning disc as well; doesn't turn as much as the goldline fuse. opto fuse is less touchy; might be better after it breaks in. anyway, i'm doing that until i get better at throwing my turnovers, though the zero hard pure is an exception since the pure can take some stank on it.

from what you're telling me, though, it seems like you're in the same boat i was a year ago. i'm teaching myself LHBH right now a little, but honestly RHBH can cover a whole ton of shots as long as you are good enough to throw them. work on your form, work on your control, your snap, everything. throw lots of mids and putters. really helped me catch up to the others that can throw RHFH and RHBH. i know it doesn't sound helpful, but trust me. get some stable mids and putters, one or two under stable, then just learn how to work them. throw them flat, throw them hard. they'll do what they're supposed to do. when you can do that, start changing your release angles and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
sorry for the double post; edit took too long.

bottom line is that it sounds like you're not getting the discs quite up to speed. that's to be expected. keep working on your form and the speed/snap will follow. plenty of guys that will help you out here, too. :) pay attention to your release angles as well.

Thanks for all the responses.

I love the recommendations and will probably pick one or two up in the next couple months.

I'm throwing between 250-300 according to Udisc (amazing app if you're looking for a good score keeper and more). I think that most of you thinking that I'm not getting the discs up to speed are probably right.

I also think that my life would be ridiculously easier if I just focused on getting better at LHBH.

I love the recommendations and will probably pick one or two up in the next couple months.

I'm throwing between 250-300 according to Udisc (amazing app if you're looking for a good score keeper and more). I think that most of you thinking that I'm not getting the discs up to speed are probably right.

I also think that my life would be ridiculously easier if I just focused on getting better at LHBH.

Yeah you aren't getting the discs up to speed. You should stick to Fairway drivers as your max d discs for now. Try a Teebird or Leopard.

DO IT!! Right now your game is very limited and this will add another dimension to your game.