• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DiscGolfPark USA

Such crazy tangents on this topic too. Well, its DGCR.

I have played 118 courses in Finland. Most have the DGP setup. That turf they use is never slippery unless it is seriously worn down over several years (so that the "blades of grass" are basically stubs) and covered with mud. No pivoting issues either, and no special footwear (that would tear up the rest of the fairway LOL :D) needed.

Dont have 100% accurate info but I dont think most courses add sand that is brushed into the pad more frequently than once every one to few years. Like any other tee, these teepads are best when large enough or level with the ground.

Concrete is slippery much more often.

One thing they could also have is standardized "next tee" sign for longer transitions. Current baskets have an arrow that points to the next tee but for cases where the hike is longer and the path may not be that well formed. I love to play a new course for the first time and have zero problems in navigating it.

I knew you couldn't resist. You're wrong, by definition theft is not vandalism. But I know you can't believe you would be mistaken. About anything.

theft

n. the generic term for all crimes in which a person intentionally and fraudulently takes personal property of another without permission or consent and with the intent to convert it to the taker's use (including potential sale).

You're both right, theft is theft, but many times the byproduct of theft is vandalism -- such as when thieves steal copper pipes from a building, etc. They steal the copper and leave behind a vandalized construction scene, happens all the time.

Are we back on the rails now? :) (Not that the thread was going totally off the rails, just took a sweeping turn for a little bit).

Not sure what that means, but turf pads have been used here for awhile. Anna Page South in Rockford has them, although I don't recall them being screwed down to a wooden frame (played it once last year).

Those Anna Page South turf pads are horrible, Ive played that course twice in tournaments and I always ask the TD if we can tee from somewhere else because of how slick they are.

Those Anna Page South turf pads are horrible, Ive played that course twice in tournaments and I always ask the TD if we can tee from somewhere else because of how slick they are.

They weren't great quality as I recall, more like indoor/outdoor carpet type stuff, but I don't remember having any issues with them -- of the three we played that day, I know I scored best on the South course. Maybe my shoes helped with traction on those pads, I know I was using low-top hikers. Hopefully they will replace it all with real field turf next year.

I knew you couldn't resist. You're wrong, by definition theft is not vandalism. But I know you can't believe you would be mistaken. About anything.

theft

n. the generic term for all crimes in which a person intentionally and fraudulently takes personal property of another without permission or consent and with the intent to convert it to the taker's use (including potential sale).

"The courts in this series of cases have taken a more expansive view of what is considered vandalism, which includes damage that occurred during the commission of the theft. "

Theft of a concrete tee is more than likely going to be vandalism.

one-does-not-simply-stay-on-topic.jpg

You guys are seriously making this and argument about the definition of vandalism vs. theft???

More on point: The concept sounds awesome. Professional experienced designers collaborating to bring new courses to the US!! More competition and more innovation in course design can only be a good thing in my eyes. Can't wait to try a DiskGolfPark course!

To answer some questions Alan Kane and I designed and installed the second DiscGolfPark in the USA within the last couple months. We are done with phase 1 of our install at Langley Pond DiscGolfPark in Burnettown, SC (just outside Augusta). Aiken County wanted a turn key course, it was easy to pair with DiscGolfPark because of this requirement, but different for us as designers. We did the design, install, beautification, and some of the clearing. We sub-contracted the clearing but still had to be out there helping cut trees down and make adjustments as we went along with the project. We went from initial meetings on the course to a phase 1 install in 3 months, initial course length is 7200 feet par 61.

The course is not on this website until we complete the project as we don't want the early incomplete versions to be rated. Phase 1 was 18 tees (some are the short tees, mostly long), 18 pin positions, and 18 tee signs. The next phase will include a driving range/training facility, 18 more tees and signs, more pin positions, 36 benches, next tee signs, trash receptacles, and bridges/stairs.

Tee pads: The first 18 tee pads took us 3 solid days to install, with 4-8 people and a front end loader. The tees are excellent, I was skeptical at first so we had DiscGolfPark send one down for us to install at hippodrome to test out for a month or two. They came out flatter than I could have imagined, the frames sit down in the ground a bit to help with erosion, and the turf is super grippy with a little resistance or give. It takes one bag of sand per year, and may need a bit of rock around the tees to help with erosion. So far I am sold on the product and they are excellent to play on.

Baskets: Seem to be powder coated differently than Innova baskets, have a slightly different chain assembly than the Pro 28 and have a welded next tee arrow in the tray. They adapted the poles and sleeves with a locking collar to accommodate USA designers and parks. In europe they only need to screw/bolt the baskets in place. The Tee Arrow in the tray makes the sleeves difficult to install, but you can mark your pole that you use to level the sleeves during installation.

Signage: Matching, clean, and clear. Great product all around.

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them, our course soft opened on November 30th so it is still fairly new and fresh.

To answer some questions Alan Kane and I designed and installed the second DiscGolfPark in the USA within the last couple months. We are done with phase 1 of our install at Langley Pond DiscGolfPark in Burnettown, SC (just outside Augusta). Aiken County wanted a turn key course, it was easy to pair with DiscGolfPark because of this requirement, but different for us as designers. We did the design, install, beautification, and some of the clearing. We sub-contracted the clearing but still had to be out there helping cut trees down and make adjustments as we went along with the project. We went from initial meetings on the course to a phase 1 install in 3 months, initial course length is 7200 feet par 61.

The course is not on this website until we complete the project as we don't want the early incomplete versions to be rated. Phase 1 was 18 tees (some are the short tees, mostly long), 18 pin positions, and 18 tee signs. The next phase will include a driving range/training facility, 18 more tees and signs, more pin positions, 36 benches, next tee signs, trash receptacles, and bridges/stairs.

Tee pads: The first 18 tee pads took us 3 solid days to install, with 4-8 people and a front end loader. The tees are excellent, I was skeptical at first so we had DiscGolfPark send one down for us to install at hippodrome to test out for a month or two. They came out flatter than I could have imagined, the frames sit down in the ground a bit to help with erosion, and the turf is super grippy with a little resistance or give. It takes one bag of sand per year, and may need a bit of rock around the tees to help with erosion. So far I am sold on the product and they are excellent to play on.

Baskets: Seem to be powder coated differently than Innova baskets, have a slightly different chain assembly than the Pro 28 and have a welded next tee arrow in the tray. They adapted the poles and sleeves with a locking collar to accommodate USA designers and parks. In europe they only need to screw/bolt the baskets in place. The Tee Arrow in the tray makes the sleeves difficult to install, but you can mark your pole that you use to level the sleeves during installation.

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them, our course soft opened on November 30th so it is still fairly new and fresh.

The courses sound first class, how many acres are these two courses on? Will they be pay to play or free? Do you have any pictures or videos of any of this? One bag a year of sand a year is nothing, glad to hear maintenance is so minimal. And is the cost breakdown something that is confidential, or could you share that info? Thanks.

The courses sound first class, how many acres are these two courses on? Will they be pay to play or free? Do you have any pictures or videos of any of this? One bag a year of sand a year is nothing, glad to hear maintenance is so minimal. And is the cost breakdown something that is confidential, or could you share that info? Thanks.

If you're on the facebooks the "Langley Pond Park" page has a few photos.

I updated the course profile on here to include pictures, we have also disabled the review feature until the course is ready to be reviewed. I prefer to not disclose financial information for any projects that I complete. We did present the county with 3 different packages Innova, DGA, and DiscGolfPark and they chose DGP. I always like to go with 3 proposals to the powers that be and let them decide on the best package, since I work for the PDGA this provides me with the least conflict of interest possible.

The course will be first class, that's the product you will get from the IDGC manager and Hippodrome/College Disc Golf manager, it has been a wonderful collaboration.

Jason and Alan are also the only U.S. DGP reps who are currently members of the Disc Golf Course Designers group. Hopefully more will consider it worthwhile to participate in our ongoing design conversations and evolving standards.

Last edited:

Thanks for weighing in with some great information. I will try again to ask my questions. Once a course is installed, as many club members around the country could tell you, there is a never ending punchlist of maintenance and marketing needed. In addition to the actual course, the local park system, government, municipality, and local community itself, often need reassurance that the course is needed. Is DGP going to be the ones to send a rep to the city council to address concerns? Is DGP leaving an infastructure to course maintenance in place? Will DGP be providing positive marketing to the public to both introduce the game and course, and following up with any potential negative push back? I am not a big club member and might not be asking the right questions. Perhaps some of the folks here, who spend time supporting and maintaining a course, could put some of the ongoing challenges down. I am not suggesting DGP is dropping in courses and running, but I am just curious to the question of ongoing support for the courses. With such an aggressive build schedule, I feel these are legit concerns with moving the sport forward.

Jason and Alan are also the only U.S. DGP reps who are currently members of the Disc Golf Course Designers group. Hopefully more will consider it worthwhile to participate in our ongoing design conversations and evolving standards.

Just to clarify I am not a DiscGolfPark rep, I did not apply nor was I asked. I think that would be a large conflict of interest for me and I prefer to present multiple manufacturer options to my potential clients. The Disc Golf Course Design Group is a wonderful resource and I suggest all designers or potential designers join the group.

Last edited:
Thanks for weighing in with some great information. I will try again to ask my questions. Once a course is installed, as many club members around the country could tell you, there is a never ending punchlist of maintenance and marketing needed. In addition to the actual course, the local park system, government, municipality, and local community itself, often need reassurance that the course is needed. Is DGP going to be the ones to send a rep to the city council to address concerns? Is DGP leaving an infastructure to course maintenance in place? Will DGP be providing positive marketing to the public to both introduce the game and course, and following up with any potential negative push back? I am not a big club member and might not be asking the right questions. Perhaps some of the folks here, who spend time supporting and maintaining a course, could put some of the ongoing challenges down. I am not suggesting DGP is dropping in courses and running, but I am just curious to the question of ongoing support for the courses. With such an aggressive build schedule, I feel these are legit concerns with moving the sport forward.

I personally don't think I can answer those questions with the information I have about the program. They are legitimate and my main concern is maintenance as that is one of my responsibilities at the IDGC. Even the concrete pads have maintenance, so I don't see much of a difference there. I imagine that the local clubs, or park departments would take care of those things like any other course in the country. I also think they are over estimating the amount of courses they can install by 2020. My recommendation is always that the park department pairs with the local club to run events and maintain their courses.

I personally don't think I can answer those questions with the information I have about the program. They are legitimate and my main concern is maintenance as that is one of my responsibilities at the IDGC. Even the concrete pads have maintenance, so I don't see much of a difference there. I imagine that the local clubs, or park departments would take care of those things like any other course in the country. I also think they are over estimating the amount of courses they can install by 2020. My recommendation is always that the park department pairs with the local club to run events and maintain their courses.

Thanks for the response...and I agree. My initial concern is the damage that could be done to the game by building and opening courses at or near the proclaimed pace. We all know that there are many motivated and active disc golf stewards, but I cannot imagine there would not be courses lacking for the leadership to allow them to continue to thrive. Ultimately this kind of senario could have considerable negative press and PR for the game. Regardless, I love the concept and hope the business plan has been well thought out.

"The courts in this series of cases have taken a more expansive view of what is considered vandalism, which includes damage that occurred during the commission of the theft. "

Theft of a concrete tee is more than likely going to be vandalism.

This quote you posted defines vandalism as damage separate from theft. You can certainly vandalize something you steal and vice versa. But they are not the same thing.

Now I'll let you have your last word, because you always do and that's what makes you always right.

My apologies to the rest of the members of DGCR.