• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DiscGolfPark USA

Can anyone provide directions to Langley pond or a street address?

They are installing one of these courses in Baton Rouge La. as we speak...They started on Friday and should be through tomorrow. My understanding the entire course cost about 30k (I could be off i was not part of the planing) with volunteer labor to install. The park is not in a good area of town by any means. This park will test the theory of "disc golfers run the bad element out of parks" to the max.

Wow, that is some amazing work to get a course in the ground that quickly. The issue above is a great example of my concerns. A course put into a poor part of town could easily generate more "bad press" than good. Is there any education, follow up or continued support of these courses, once put into the ground. How easy would it be for a NIMBY to drop a couple editorials or complaints to a park system, municipality or area press, claiming disc golf the root of the problems. Is the needed voice for our game in place? Most of the time, a local club or group of advocates are the driving force behind implementation and they are also the support infastructure. Providing PR, repairs, maintenance, clean up, leagues.....

AJ just posted on Facebook they finished up all 18 holes at Scotlandville Park in Baton Rouge, LA.

Wow, that is some amazing work to get a course in the ground that quickly. The issue above is a great example of my concerns. A course put into a poor part of town could easily generate more "bad press" than good. Is there any education, follow up or continued support of these courses, once put into the ground. How easy would it be for a NIMBY to drop a couple editorials or complaints to a park system, municipality or area press, claiming disc golf the root of the problems. Is the needed voice for our game in place? Most of the time, a local club or group of advocates are the driving force behind implementation and they are also the support infastructure. Providing PR, repairs, maintenance, clean up, leagues.....

Good concerns here. Although I doubt DiscGolfPark USA is in the business of post-installation support. Every course will be a unique situation, but for the most part it will be up to the land manager and/or the local club for maintenance and upkeep. At least that's how I read it.

I believe DGP are mainly looking to take advantage of a key shift in the disc golf landscape.
If I may,
Imagine you are a superintendent of a park. You have heard enough about DG from friends, family to know that it is a growing sport that has so many positive benefits and you think it would be a good fit at your park.

Now, how do I get a (really good) course on my property?

I believe that DGP are taking advantage of the lack of a qualification / certification of course designers along with the confusing network of small volunteer driven groups. If DG course development is being driven by the land manager, then they will (IMO) want turn-key more often than not. The cost of a turn-key solution (again, when the land manager is the one looking) is minimal compared to almost every other park activity imaginable.

Up until now most of the new courses are being 'sold' to the land managers by motivated individuals and clubs, but I suspect the tide is beginning to turn to where now land managers are demanding disc golf courses even without the existence of a local club. Enter DGP.

However ru4por's concerns are valid in that if the new course goes in without a local club being engaged there could be a whole host of unforeseen issues that an existence of a club normally would handle (for better or worse sometimes). That said, the current state of things at courses all over the US is so inconsistent, that I'm not even sure if the DGP model would help or hurt. (assuming no local club involvement) At least the motivation for a course lies with the land manager.

Another (maybe the most likely) case on needing help from DGP: You are a small local club with no real design expertise. You have an opportunity on some land, and you swallow your pride and bring in DGP to provide some muscle to your proposal. This would be ideal I suppose.

Last edited:
AJ just posted on Facebook they finished up all 18 holes at Scotlandville Park in Baton Rouge, LA.

So, is it just random that one of the first Disc Golf Park courses installed in the States is in SpinTV's own Jamie Thomas' hometown? I guess the guy does have some solid connections :thmbup:.

This is not hatin' or trollin', just an observation on my part...:D.

Is there any info and pictures up about the course yet ( not on farce-book )?

So, is it just random that one of the first Disc Golf Park courses installed in the States is in SpinTV's own Jamie Thomas' hometown? I guess the guy does have some solid connections :thmbup:.

Rumor has it that Jamie is THE connection that secured AJ's involvement. I haven't heard how DGP got involved.

He's only posted a few pics of the workers and a few teepads and baskets. Nothing that hasn't already been posted here.

Rumor has it that Jamie is THE connection that secured AJ's involvement. I haven't heard how DGP got involved.

I was trying to be funny and sarcastic...:eek:...I guess I suck at inter-web humor?

DGP is a brain child of DiscMania's owner/founder, Jussi Meresmaa.

I also just checked out the DGP site a little more and saw JT is a sales rep for them too.

Is there a list of future dg park locations? I've contacted a guy about putting one in my area, he was very nice and I just need approval from the park I want to put it in.

Good concerns here. Although I doubt DiscGolfPark USA is in the business of post-installation support. Every course will be a unique situation, but for the most part it will be up to the land manager and/or the local club for maintenance and upkeep. At least that's how I read it.

I believe DGP are mainly looking to take advantage of a key shift in the disc golf landscape.
If I may,
Imagine you are a superintendent of a park. You have heard enough about DG from friends, family to know that it is a growing sport that has so many positive benefits and you think it would be a good fit at your park.

Now, how do I get a (really good) course on my property?

I believe that DGP are taking advantage of the lack of a qualification / certification of course designers along with the confusing network of small volunteer driven groups. If DG course development is being driven by the land manager, then they will (IMO) want turn-key more often than not. The cost of a turn-key solution (again, when the land manager is the one looking) is minimal compared to almost every other park activity imaginable.

Up until now most of the new courses are being 'sold' to the land managers by motivated individuals and clubs, but I suspect the tide is beginning to turn to where now land managers are demanding disc golf courses even without the existence of a local club. Enter DGP.

However ru4por's concerns are valid in that if the new course goes in without a local club being engaged there could be a whole host of unforeseen issues that an existence of a club normally would handle (for better or worse sometimes). That said, the current state of things at courses all over the US is so inconsistent, that I'm not even sure if the DGP model would help or hurt. (assuming no local club involvement) At least the motivation for a course lies with the land manager.
Another (maybe the most likely) case on needing help from DGP: You are a small local club with no real design expertise. You have an opportunity on some land, and you swallow your pride and bring in DGP to provide some muscle to your proposal. This would be ideal I suppose.

Super post. I really do agree, with reservations. The DGP have announce a very aggressive goal in setting out to put in 500 courses in the next 3-4 years. I don't see that many active clubs seeking courses to support. I have a hard time believing there are that many park systems or municipalities that are actively seeking to add disc golf to it's recreation portfolio. It would only take a few parks angering local residents, a couple bringing a bad incident or two or a handful to quickly turn to a state of disrepair and the future of courses in the area could be put in jeopardy. I think putting in new courses is a fantastic idea, with and after the right people are in place to support the course. Perhaps the growth of the game is far greater than I believe. If they were to put 4 courses in the Windsor/Essex area, do you think there are enough motivated folk to really support those courses from an administration standpoint? I suppose a healthy partnership with a good park system would really help, but golfer have lives.

The ONLY thing I question with this announcement is the "500 course by 2020" goal.

I like the goal, but, why make that such a visible and integral part of your launch?

I would (publicly at least) downplay the number of courses goal and instead be more focused on the "we will work with you" angle because that is what is going to have to happen if they want to have a hand in roughly 1 out of 3 new courses that get installed. This is what it would take to hit their goal based on an average of 375 new courses / year total in the US (over the past 6 years). Or maybe they project a faster growth rate of new courses now that DGP USA exists.

Either way, I'm excited to see how this shakes out. Good luck DGP! :thmbup:

Educating any potential landowner who wants a disc golf course about post installation is the responsibility of the designer/company involved in the installation of said course.....

They (designer/company/local volunteers)should be able to forsee most if not all potential future issues, maintenance and other intangibles. If they can't do this then they don't have any business installing the course in the first place.

If the potential landowner fails to listen or carry out future directions/suggestions then that is on the landowner, not the designer/company.

With the exception of a handful of designers very few involved have a full understanding of this; therefore, if a new company wants to give it a try then I say go for it. Whether they have dotted all the i s and crossed all the t s will be apparent down the road.

Just my two cents

Hopefully some courses will go in around the Bay Area of California. For what the weather is like year round and for how many people live there the amount and quality of courses is really lacking compared to other parts of the country.

Agreed, but where? We have a lot of design and development talent in the Bay Area -- not that all the recent courses reflect it well, admittedly -- but very few places to build.

Agreed, but where? We have a lot of design and development talent in the Bay Area -- not that all the recent courses reflect it well, admittedly -- but very few places to build.

No clue about this groups participation in the project, but as we live in the same town.... There have been rumors of something in the works for a course over by the San Leandro Marina. Haven't spoken with the regulars at Chabot park in a while in any serious way. Probably should.

The land around here is worth too much to get anything put in, and HARD want's nothing to do with it. I always thought Garin park could be a great spot myself.

Latest posts