• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DiscGolfPark USA

Now the baskets. I'm really disappointed in the Discatchers that come with DGP. They only have a single ring for both the inner and outer chains instead of the double rings that current production Discatchers come with. The chains are also rougher than those found on other baskets. These two things seem to make the baskets much stiffer compared to the other current baskets (Discatcher, Mach X, and Chainstar being my points of reference). I had several poor putts to the left or right which probably would have been caught by other baskets, but were rejected by these baskets. Obviously I need to improve my putting form, since those missed putts were my fault. But it's somewhat frustrating knowing other baskets may have caught those putts, and the single ring feels like a step backward.

Overall though, I'd say the equipment is top notch, excepting the design of the Discatchers DGP uses.

Chainstars use a single bottom ring, it's all in the design of the chain length of outer and inner, inner diameter, making the outers softer and inners stiffer, etc. - it can be done wrong too, but a single ring is not necessarily worse than a double ring.

I am very curious though, because I expected these to be the same chain racks as the new 28s. When watching the European Open last year, I saw to my eyes the most appealing disc golf basket I've ever seen. Just a tweak on the bottom post making it thicker, balanced out the top assembly, so instead of an awkwardish metal contraption, this looked like a well balanced, fire engine red work of art.

EO2015_Hole_4_backwards-702x468.jpg

did sidewinder22 post something and get it deleted? i didn't know posts could be deleted :confused: but i got a notification but no message here... i did say fire engine, not fire hydrant...

I had several poor putts to the left or right which probably would have been caught by other baskets, but were rejected by these baskets. Obviously I need to improve my putting form, since those missed putts were my fault. But it's somewhat frustrating knowing other baskets may have caught those putts, and the single ring feels like a step backward.

"Knowing" "other baskets" "may have caught"... hmmm

You said it best. "need to improve my putting form". Sometimes a basket catches a really sh* putt that I think "no way should that one have gone in" and sometimes a totally legit putt gets kicked out. It all balances out in the long run. I think baskets of whatever type should rather err on the side of not accepting side hits versus accepting side hits.

You said it best. "need to improve my putting form". Sometimes a basket catches a really sh* putt that I think "no way should that one have gone in" and sometimes a totally legit putt gets kicked out. It all balances out in the long run. I think baskets of whatever type should rather err on the side of not accepting side hits versus accepting side hits.

I've put together a few practice baskets and I much prefer a basket that is solid in the center vs solid on the edges - much more frustrating having a putt kick back out then splash a side and miss.

I hope to see more of these baskets, like I said - that base makes the baskets really stand out - hope to see more of them on the DGWT broadcasts too.

Meh, I stand behind what I said, I'm not a giant fan of the baskets. I prefer Mach X's or the double ring Discatchers, but to each their own I suppose. It didn't stop me from registering for the tournament at the course March 26 though :D

Also, they're sleeve mounted like other baskets, no bases, at least at Langley Pond.

Yeah, except that they didn't finish the course. The basket for hole 14 hasn't been installed because they are waiting for someone to desing some sort of gimmick basket mount an none of the tee signs or basket numbers have been installed so navigation is a nightmare (as might be expected from an unfinished course).

But the big problem at this point seems to be the tee pads IMO. I don't know if it was the speed of the installation or just the lack of skill of the volunteers who installed them, but they are very uneven - uneven and "lumpy" enough to affect your shot if you are expecting them to be flat. The problem isn't the turf so much as how poorly the underlying surface was prepared before putting the turf down. I also played a course across town where another, single DiscGolfPark tee was installed and it was in the same condition. In fact, another group teed off the ground near that tee instead of throwing from it. If this is indicative of DiscGolfPark tees, I'd be very wary of going that route over concrete irrespective of any difference in cost.

Course is not officially open from what I was told.

"Also yeah there are some areas where the ground is soft and the TeePads have settled, but since the course isn't open we are using this time to determine that and fix them before the grand opening date."

Open is a strange concept for DG. There is no one at the park officially. There are no signs. So, it is open. There was even a mini of sorts the day Doof and I played.
Avery Jenkins: It's great to see so many players out there on the course, congrats to everyone that showed up and I hope that all the players had a great time!

Open is a strange concept for DG. There is no one at the park officially. There are no signs. So, it is open. There was even a mini of sorts the day Doof and I played.

Baskets in the ground = open

It's not a new concept to have soft openings and adjust things, like TeePads or basket placements. I don't see an issue with it. By all means, it appears to be a beautiful park with a pretty fun disc golf course. I'd chalk that up as a win in my eyes.

After playing Langley Pond several times while I was home for winter break, and seeing as this discussion has cropped up again, here's what I think of the tees and baskets. Several of these rounds were after the course had been drenched, so I can speak to how the tees are when wet.

I absolutely love these tees. I was unsure of how I'd like them, since I really like the gravel and open rubber mat tees on several of the courses in the Upstate. However, they grip incredibly well, especially in the wet. My knee actually started hurting a bit during break, and I think part of the reason is that you have to be cure you're turning your foot on the turf tees, otherwise your foot will stick from the grip. Insanely, it seemed like the tees gripped even better in the wet, but that may be from being used to how slick concrete tees get. I can't really say enough positive things about these tees, and I hope they really catch on.

Now the baskets. I'm really disappointed in the Discatchers that come with DGP. They only have a single ring for both the inner and outer chains instead of the double rings that current production Discatchers come with. The chains are also rougher than those found on other baskets. These two things seem to make the baskets much stiffer compared to the other current baskets (Discatcher, Mach X, and Chainstar being my points of reference). I had several poor putts to the left or right which probably would have been caught by other baskets, but were rejected by these baskets. Obviously I need to improve my putting form, since those missed putts were my fault. But it's somewhat frustrating knowing other baskets may have caught those putts, and the single ring feels like a step backward.

Overall though, I'd say the equipment is top notch, excepting the design of the Discatchers DGP uses.

You also had two experienced course builders/course maintenance professionals build that course. The tees are excellent, flat, and grippy at Langley pond. We took our time (about 6-8 tees per 10 hour day), you can not rush to get these done. I would have liked more instruction from DiscGolfPark, if they want all their courses to be consistent. We rented a gas powered tamper, leveled the ground, then tamped the soil, layed down the forms and brought in the gravel. You have to tamp and fill the gravel multiple times to get it level and true.

We also did what we call a "soft opening", first set of tees and pins with temporary signage. This is a great process for a course designer/installer, you want to test your design before making it permanent.

Last edited:
Yeah, first time out there it was kind of confusing to get between a few holes, specifically 6-8 and then 12-14, but the map the city had on their Facebook page really helped, as well as a local group on the transition from 7 to 8.

For the future, it may be helpful to try to put up a few next tee signs on the more trickier/lengthy walks (specifically thinking about 7-8 here). I know it's softly opened, and the priority was on getting 18 baskets and tees installed, but that's really what I would say constructively, is some basic direction signs would help on the trickier paths. It's not a problem whenever I go back now since I know the way, but for newbs, it's super helpful on the crazier paths.

Hey guys,

So I rarely (never) post anymore, but I feel I can be a good resource on this thread here, especially given this was my first DGP project and first install.

I completely agree that there are some issues with the install. I'm not here to argue that. I will share some of the story of this course and my bigger vision for my hometown and maybe it'll clear a couple of things up. I'm also happy to answer questions.

This course was a collaborative effort between BREC (Parks Dept. for East Baton Rouge Parish), Louisiana Healthcare Connections, DiscGolfPark, and the local community. LHC was generous enough to pay for the entire course (which explains the long name), and BREC gave us this beautiful piece of property to install on.

Baton Rouge is a small, but rapidly growing, scene. My goal with the volunteer install is/was to engage everyone. There's a certain, unique feeling that comes with putting your hands into the earth and caring for a course. The worst thing would be if we came and installed it (it's not in the best neighborhood), and nobody played it. So this was my attempt to engage all of the people that would be involved in playing casually, running events, leagues, etc. We had 50 people show up and donate their time, tools, and sweat over the 3 days. It was awesome.

I had never installed a course, and we knew going in this was going to be a learning experience. This is one of the reasons it is a "Pilot Project". We learned so much, and I'm looking forward to learning from Alan and his crew out in SC on ways that I can do better next time (I have a course re-design on the table in Baton Rouge as well).

This process took 2 years to get to this point, and we're a couple of months away from the grand opening, so there's much work to do still ahead of us. We're finalizing the TeeSigns and InfoBoards and those will be installed next month!

I'm sorry personally to those that were disappointed. I appreciate the feedback, we had already planned on smoothing out some of the TeePads that aren't perfect, and I'll dedicate myself to fixing every single issue. This course is one that in 5, 10 years will be a crown jewel in the state - it's a long term play in my mind. I hope the future holds that Baton Rouge is a community full of "must play" courses that will be fun for a range of skill levels.

Again - thanks to everyone for the feedback. It's a learning process and I'm open to ideas!

-Jamie

PS - if you go play before the TeeSigns arrive, we put numbers on the faceplates of the TeeSign posts, and there are arrows welded to the cages of the baskets that point directly to the next hole. There are 2 long walks that are slated be fixed in the long term plan (from 5-6 and from 17-18) with bridges, but storms and floods lately have slowed that process even further.

It's not a new concept to have soft openings and adjust things . . .

The park is open. It is a previously existing park (been there for years). It's one thing to say that the course isn't finished, it's another to say that it's not open. It's open.

As to adjusting things and the ground settling, if the pads are going to be fixed, that is a great thing. Really, the tee surface is fine except for not being flat. There's nothing about the turf itself that seems to be problematic. It's plenty grippy and the only issues that I had were with the lumpiness.

As to the explanation of the ground settling, well, that is just an excuse for the improper installation of the teeboxes. If they had been installed properly, they really wouldn't need to be fixed, but the explanation about getting everyone involved certainly makes sense given the location and it is understandable that a bunch of beginner tee pad installers might not produce a perfect product on their first time out.

The park is open. It is a previously existing park (been there for years). It's one thing to say that the course isn't finished, it's another to say that it's not open. It's open.

If a course isn't finished, isn't that about the same as not open?

If Baskets in the ground = open, then what could the park or designers do to make it 'not open', as opposed to unfinished? Put the baskets in last? Crime-scene tape blocking off all tees? Just wondering.

I started to play an unfinished re-design recently (no tee pads just flags, no signage, just baskets). I got irritated and left after a few holes. But I didn't go online and complain about it, because it's not finished. Even though it's open.

As to the explanation of the ground settling, well, that is just an excuse for the improper installation of the teeboxes. If they had been installed properly, they really wouldn't need to be fixed, but the explanation about getting everyone involved certainly makes sense given the location and it is understandable that a bunch of beginner tee pad installers might not produce a perfect product on their first time out.

I think it's a little bit harsh to say "excuse". We set one up at Highland on Hole 8, but the turtle back we did was too big, so we adjusted for Scotlandville but we learned that it's much softer over there.

It also didn't help that BREC couldn't find the key to the cage with the gas tamper, so we had to do it by hand, lol. Limestone is hard to tamp :)

I think it's a little bit harsh to say "excuse". We set one up at Highland on Hole 8, but the turtle back we did was too big, so we adjusted for Scotlandville but we learned that it's much softer over there.

It also didn't help that BREC couldn't find the key to the cage with the gas tamper, so we had to do it by hand, lol. Limestone is hard to tamp :)

Wow, if you guys hand tamped all 18 pads you may end up having to re-do all of them, really unfortunate.