• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing Down to Rework Throw

Mr. E

RHBH thrower looking to work on fundamentals.

I got rid of all my high speed stuff that was causing major OAT.

I'm down to:

Drivers:
Star Teebird 170
Star Eagle 172
Star T/L 175

Mid-Range:
Buzzz Z Plastic 177+
KC Roc Pro 172

Putters:
3 Omega SS in various weights for different situations.

Any advice on what should or shouldn't be in my bag that will help gain control and consistency would be appreciated.

On a side note, if you're trying to focus on reworking your throw, changing your bag isn't the best solution, field work is. By taking out higher speed discs, you may be handicapping yourself on the course a bit in the interest of forcing yourself to work on improving.

That said, this is a pretty solid setup. I'm not sure that you need both a Teebird and an Eagle, maybe drop the Eagle and just use the Teebird/TL combo for drivers.

What are you looking to accomplish with this?

If you're wanting to work on fundamentals, there's no better way to do that than in a field with a Comet. You have a pretty decent setup but imagine you'll see some overlap in your drivers. Since you're more or less practicing, that isn't such a bad thing.

I might suggest picking up an understable fairway driver that will help get you throwing straight. Popular suggestion is the Leopard (which I would agree with), but you could also try out a River, S-FD, Patriot, etc. These discs will all help you correct any OAT that you might be imparting on your throws, as they're all relatively straight fliers and will have the tendency to turn and burn if they're being forced over.

I disagree Brad, I believe DD to be a solid tool for learning better form and how to throw with more spin/snap, and shape lines. It may not be the end all be all for learning to throw but I know it helped me out tremendously.

Some people will tell you, "well when youcan get 'disc X' to go 'arbitrary distance', then youre ready for faster discs. I tthink thats silly because everyone approaches the game differently and has different skills to utilize that benefit them more. Imo, spending time with discs that teach you form flaws, and force you to learn how to gain accurate distance are really good tools to help you be able to better utilize faster more low speed stable discs.

I will agree that you may not need the eagle/tb/tl combo, and that the tb/tl are likely the best combo. But, if you like eagles, its not going to kill you to have one.

Not sure you need a buzz and a roc, maybe go with a cycle of one or the other? Across different plastics? That works better with rocs in my experience, yore much better off complimenting a Z buzz with mids in other stabilities. Popular understable/stable pairings being fuse, or comet, maybe buzz ss for some. I suppose the roc would be a nice OS compliment depending on how used your buzz is and how you throw each of them.

If you're open to getting something new, I'd agreed with the recommendations of adding a Pro Leopard and a X Comet or GL Fuse.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I removed the Eagle and the Roc and added in a GL Fuse and an X Comet... Haven't thrown either so not sure which one will stay in the bag.

I disagree Brad, I believe DD to be a solid tool for learning better form and how to throw with more spin/snap, and shape lines. It may not be the end all be all for learning to throw but I know it helped me out tremendously.

I agree, it's a great practice tool. However, when you're on the course playing for score, it may be beneficial to still have higher speed discs in the bag. The reason people tend to remove them entirely from the bag is that it's the only way to force themselves to really work with the lower speed stuff.

But if you can commit to working with slower speed discs to work on form in the field, there's no need to continue that practice on the course when you're trying to score your best. I could go on in a lot more detail, but perhaps I'll save that for another thread.

I'd whittle the bag down to your neutral discs, like your TL, Fuse/Comet, and Omega. Learn how to shape lines with those. They'll force you to be clean better and the improvements will translate to other discs later.

But if you can commit to working with slower speed discs to work on form in the field, there's no need to continue that practice on the course when you're trying to score your best.
Nah....you could do both, but I think if someone is working on form, they might as well just commit to not worrying about their score on the course. It's pretty darn refreshing.

I hurt my left elbow and took a month to learn to throw RHBH using nothing but two Pro Leopards, two GL Fuses and two Pro-D Bangers, throwing each shot twice (when reasonable). That was some of the most satisfying golf I've played since I started. No frustration, just trying to execute golf shots.

Although, there may be more "scoring potential" with the big drivers on longer holes, there's nothing wrong with committing to a week or two of fairways and mids. At least for me, it seems to help center me, and I stop the overthrowing that I tend to do with the distance drivers.

I've never thrown a tl, but tbird and eagle have both helped me disc down and learn form. As others said I'd whittle your drivers down to two.

I'd pick roc or buzzz as well. It's just easier to work on your throw when you are using the same discs.

Teebird + Buzzz + your putters.

That's all you need really. These two really let you shape shots well, and the others you have listed have major overlap with these.

What are you looking to accomplish with this?
That's a really important question that I don't think has been answered adequately.

If you're working on fixing your mechanics and/or timing, then going to a field ans throwing all those discs is a good idea. More repetitions with discs that give good feedback will speed things up a bit. You're generally only working on one thing at a time when you do that so the differences in flight won't be as big of a deal.

Once you get a majority of that work done, or if you're on the course it's probably best to just throw one of those molds from each category and get those three discs to do everything. Learning to shape lines with just a few discs will teach you a lot about how to control your discs.