• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Discing Down"

CanuckDG

So I've been playing for about year now. I throw RHBH and was throwing a roc3 230 ft. and A Star Destroyer/Blizzard Wraith about only 250 ft. I realized that my arm was not quite up to speed with these two discs and am now going to "disc down." I have a Champion Teebird, and Champion gazelle being mailed right now and am looking for some other adequate Lower Speed Discs. I'm thinking speed 9, maybe 10 (max) and under would be sufficient? Sound Right? Anyway what discs do you think would be most beneficial for my game right now? By the way I am 14 5'2 and 90 LBS.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have been focusing on doing lots of fieldwork lately. 4-5 times a week (more or less depending on weather)

Check out the "How to Build a Bag" sticky in this same forum (Bag Suggestions & Feedback). It has some great advice. As for specific discs: I've heard good things from friends about the Beast, but I seem to read a lot of good things on here about the Valkyrie and Leopard. Maybe some practical advice would be to get a pair of a driver you start to like. That helps a ton for practice sessions, and then you'll have backups if one takes a swim or something.

Maybe a Buzzz instead of the Roc3 and a Patriot, River or Leopard. That'll do the trick.

Teebird will still be quite over stable for you.

Remember to learn good form before trying to just throw a disc far.

I think a big part of discing down should be modifying the stability you're throwing as well as the speed. At your distance discs like a Champ Teebird are still going to be plenty stable.

I would look at neutral to understable discs: Innova Leopard, Axiom Inspire, Westside Underworld, Latitude 64 River are some of many possible starting points. I'll especially highlight the Underworld: it's got gobs of glide, and was the first fairway I could reliably throw turnovers with when I was maxing around 275'. It could very likely add distance to your max, but more importantly, you'll be able to get a straighter flight and wider variety of lines with it than you will that Teebird. That will teach you things about line shaping at farther distances than you can do with something like a Champ Teebird. Just my $.02.

I think a big part of discing down should be modifying the stability you're throwing as well as the speed. At your distance discs like a Champ Teebird are still going to be plenty stable.

I would look at neutral to understable discs: Innova Leopard, Axiom Inspire, Westside Underworld, Latitude 64 River are some of many possible starting points. I'll especially highlight the Underworld: it's got gobs of glide, and was the first fairway I could reliably throw turnovers with when I was maxing around 275'. It could very likely add distance to your max, but more importantly, you'll be able to get a straighter flight and wider variety of lines with it than you will that Teebird. That will teach you things about line shaping at farther distances than you can do with something like a Champ Teebird. Just my $.02.

Appreciate the feedback. Will check out the Underworld as haven't even considered it until now. Another thing is that my Roc3 is flying plenty straight with very minimal fade

Also just a general thing being new to the forums. I've noticed my thread has only 7 views whereas some above/below have 10 times as many. Why is this

Also just a general thing being new to the forums. I've noticed my thread has only 7 views whereas some above/below have 10 times as many. Why is this

it's because your thread is brand new verses other threads that could be multiple weeks old that keep getting replies and in turn more views. the older the thread, the more time there has been for people to click on it.

it's because your thread is brand new verses other threads that could be multiple weeks old that keep getting replies and in turn more views. the older the thread, the more time there has been for people to click on it.

Alright Makes Sense Now. Turns Out I just read it wrong. Anyways.....

Lat 64 Saint. If that's too much then try the River. Both great discs. Another great low speed driver for noodle arms like me and you is the leapord. If you want to be really crazy then try a Thunderbird. I still throw 3 of these 4 even as my power increases.

Are there an standout differences between the Underworld and River? It looks like the Underworld has a little more turn

The underworld is more understable than the river, meaning on an RHBH throw it will start off going right before fading back. Another good disc for a low speed driver is the Axiom Crave. It's perfect for straight long shots.

The Crave and Thunderbird are definitely too stable at sub-300' power to make much of a difference (that's the goal, right?), and the Saint is likely, too. I'd err on the side of trying something too understable rather than too stable/fast.

Underworld is indeed more understable than the River. Not hugely so, but definitely noticeable. At your distance the River is likely to fly straight to fade. The River is also a bit touchier than the Underworld.

I've been researching and are these (maybe) some other options? (Discs that haven't been listed)
Please let me know if you've tried some of these....

Discmania FD Jackal
Discraft Stalker
Discraft XPress
Discraft Zombee
Innova Cheetah
Innova Valkyrie
Legacy Patriot
Prodigy F5/F7
Lat.64 Jade

Oh and 2 other things:

1. Would you recommend posting a form critique video on DGCR
and
2. Should I keep my Wraith/Destroyer out of the bag for now (i'm thinking yes)

The Crave and Thunderbird are definitely too stable at sub-300' power to make much of a difference (that's the goal, right?), and the Saint is likely, too. I'd err on the side of trying something too understable rather than too stable/fast.

Underworld is indeed more understable than the River. Not hugely so, but definitely noticeable. At your distance the River is likely to fly straight to fade. The River is also a bit touchier than the Underworld.

Yes I'd rather go too Understable then Stable. The goal is just to improve my form so I can later move on to higher speed discs

I'd say at your current distance, stick with the teebird and gazelle for a while. Between those 2 and your mids/putters you will be able to hit every line you need to. If you want to step up to a 9 speed the saint/valk are solid options

I'd say at your current distance, stick with the teebird and gazelle for a while. Between those 2 and your mids/putters you will be able to hit every line you need to. If you want to step up to a 9 speed the saint/valk are solid options

Currently My only mid is the Roc3. Is it a good idea to maybe by 1 or 2 more of those or do you think another mold would suite me better?

Note:

I also used to have a DX kite but eventually my arm grew stronger and it became too floppy. (I don't think i want a disc that under stable)

Latest posts