• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania DD

It has been like that for a week now. A little out of the ordinary but we manage. Actually I wasnt wearing that much, a sweatsuit/hoodie underneath and a windbreaker on top of that, and a buff to cover my face. Was doing field work so jogged back and forth. Once you get your body warm, the hands stay pretty warm even though you have to take the glove off to throw.

So I went by the local shop yesterday to grab a new DD & he was out of C-line. So I grabbed a VIP Boatman expecting a DD-ish type flight. The DD's I've thrown in the past were pretty darn stable for my <400' arm, straight with a hefty fade.
The Boatman was much straighter with a forward fade, not the hard OS fade I was expecting. In a not super strong headwind with a touch of hyzer it flipped up to flat. So are DD'd more stable than the numbers, are Boatmans less stable than the numbers, or did I get a fluke??

Boatmen are fairly inconsistent in stability.I threw them for a short period and dropped them not too long after finding that out for myself.

If you are used to the c line,that is why the dd appears to have that strong fade. Try an s line or p line,those are straighter than the c line but still good.

Just picked up a C-Line DD to give it a try (again). I tried it years ago and did not click with it then, but I am throwing differently now.

What I want to know is the stability ranges of this disc throughout the plastic spectrum, specifically in comparison to the following discs it was going against.

Right-handed-backhand. 380-410 maximum distance. I am horrible at skyhooks for maximum distance, so my maximum distance is also my golf distance, meaning flat ground with acceptable accuracy. I am also horrible at approximating the proper hyzer angle for hyzerflipping, so everything needs to be in comparison to throwing flat and letting the disc do the work.

DDx - Intended to paired with the DD if I can make it work, otherwise it shares time with whatever big driver I am going to use. When thrown flat it definitely tracks right but never truly flips over, meaning that it will eventually fade back in on the original line. Right now I am consistently pushing 390-415 or so. It is better suited for tighter lines when I need 360 or so.

Opto Halo - Great for open air drives but tracks and finishes wider than I would like. I am hoping that age is not becoming the issue, but now on the wrong side of 40, I am finding in the last two years I have been griplocking more and more. Therefore, the wider the rim the disc, the more likely it seems I have grip issues. I prefer to keep max drivers within 2.1 to 2.3 cm. Nukes and Bosses, while I can still throw them, they seem too wide in the hand, and therefore it always seems that I am not getting the snap on them that I know I can.

Lucid Trespass - Their flight is closer to the DDx than the other drivers I am giving a try. I can get some great distance with them as well, but as they wear and or face any kind of headwind, it is really easy to overtorque them and send them too far right without any chance of recovery. They almost require a little hyzer release, which I am not confident doing. I do like the thinner rim, so if I must hyzerflip, I am more confident than others on the list.

Star Wraith - The current paired disc to the DDx. This was the first disc that I broke 350 with, so after six years I have come back to them. I instantly clicked with them, but I still feel they have too much lateral movement for a flat throw. When I do trust an anhyzer release, knowing that I did not give it too much, I can get them to go a country mile. However, when I do give them too much anhyzer, they are not coming back. When thrown flat, they seem to come up shorter than my Trespasses and Halos. Still, I have more reliable releases with them, so they are currently in the bag.

So what I am asking is, what are the stability ranges based on plastics for the DD? Ultimately I am looking for a Halo's stability but the comfortability of the Trespass and Wraith.

What I picked up the other day was a factory dyed 175g C-Line DD. I am feeling that it was a mistake because what I really wanted to try was a S-Line 172 or so. This DD is far too HSS for what I am looking for, having no flip or turn, and sometimes giving in to its fade a little too early for maximum distance. Then again, on a slight anhyzer in an open field, it performed much better. On flat ground, everything beats this DD, but when going big, it gets the same as everything else but the DDx.

Basically, I want a DD that is a touch less HSS and LSS, but still has a range where there is little to no overlap with the DDx. Essentially I want a DD that is a touch more HSS than a Wraith at full power but has less fade. InBounds' number suggest that it will be, but this dyed C-Line DD is just too overstable right now.

Lastly, while my everyday bag sees a lot of action, and eventually wear can factor in, my tournament bag sees little action outside of tournaments in order to keep those discs from getting too worn, damaged, or lost. That means for the most part I want a disc that performs the way I want when relatively fresh.

Just picked up a C-Line DD to give it a try (again). I tried it years ago and did not click with it then, but I am throwing differently now.

What I want to know is the stability ranges of this disc throughout the plastic spectrum, specifically in comparison to the following discs it was going against.

Right-handed-backhand. 380-410 maximum distance. I am horrible at skyhooks for maximum distance, so my maximum distance is also my golf distance, meaning flat ground with acceptable accuracy. I am also horrible at approximating the proper hyzer angle for hyzerflipping, so everything needs to be in comparison to throwing flat and letting the disc do the work.

DDx - Intended to paired with the DD if I can make it work, otherwise it shares time with whatever big driver I am going to use. When thrown flat it definitely tracks right but never truly flips over, meaning that it will eventually fade back in on the original line. Right now I am consistently pushing 390-415 or so. It is better suited for tighter lines when I need 360 or so.

Opto Halo - Great for open air drives but tracks and finishes wider than I would like. I am hoping that age is not becoming the issue, but now on the wrong side of 40, I am finding in the last two years I have been griplocking more and more. Therefore, the wider the rim the disc, the more likely it seems I have grip issues. I prefer to keep max drivers within 2.1 to 2.3 cm. Nukes and Bosses, while I can still throw them, they seem too wide in the hand, and therefore it always seems that I am not getting the snap on them that I know I can.

Lucid Trespass - Their flight is closer to the DDx than the other drivers I am giving a try. I can get some great distance with them as well, but as they wear and or face any kind of headwind, it is really easy to overtorque them and send them too far right without any chance of recovery. They almost require a little hyzer release, which I am not confident doing. I do like the thinner rim, so if I must hyzerflip, I am more confident than others on the list.

Star Wraith - The current paired disc to the DDx. This was the first disc that I broke 350 with, so after six years I have come back to them. I instantly clicked with them, but I still feel they have too much lateral movement for a flat throw. When I do trust an anhyzer release, knowing that I did not give it too much, I can get them to go a country mile. However, when I do give them too much anhyzer, they are not coming back. When thrown flat, they seem to come up shorter than my Trespasses and Halos. Still, I have more reliable releases with them, so they are currently in the bag.

So what I am asking is, what are the stability ranges based on plastics for the DD? Ultimately I am looking for a Halo's stability but the comfortability of the Trespass and Wraith.

What I picked up the other day was a factory dyed 175g C-Line DD. I am feeling that it was a mistake because what I really wanted to try was a S-Line 172 or so. This DD is far too HSS for what I am looking for, having no flip or turn, and sometimes giving in to its fade a little too early for maximum distance. Then again, on a slight anhyzer in an open field, it performed much better. On flat ground, everything beats this DD, but when going big, it gets the same as everything else but the DDx.

Basically, I want a DD that is a touch less HSS and LSS, but still has a range where there is little to no overlap with the DDx. Essentially I want a DD that is a touch more HSS than a Wraith at full power but has less fade. InBounds' number suggest that it will be, but this dyed C-Line DD is just too overstable right now.

Lastly, while my everyday bag sees a lot of action, and eventually wear can factor in, my tournament bag sees little action outside of tournaments in order to keep those discs from getting too worn, damaged, or lost. That means for the most part I want a disc that performs the way I want when relatively fresh.

Small sample size, but the DDs I've thrown were all more hss than my Wraiths and had plenty of fade.
Maybe a Krait?

Small sample size, but the DDs I've thrown were all more hss than my Wraiths and had plenty of fade.
Maybe a Krait?

Looking strictly at the DD but nothing else. The numbers are close enough to the Wraith that I was hoping that essentially it was just a touch better.

Basically, is there a noticeable difference, but not by much, between the C-Line factory dyed (which I traditionally find a touch more stable and just as much a touch less glide than their non-dyed counterparts) and a S-Line with a few less grams? Conventional wisedom says yes, but I want to make sure. The recent runs of number Star molds, most noteably Destroyers and Thunderbirds, have been grossly overstable in comparison to their Champion counterparts.

Why I went dyed this time, I do not know, because I was intent on giving the S-Line a try.

Fair enough. I figure your logic is likely right, but I'll defer to those that have thrown a larger sample size.

I can say with a lot of experience that this year's run of star wraiths were definitely not more OS than champ. And have very quickly beat in.

On a open field shot you are never going to throw a dd farther than a wraith. A firebird isnt going to out distance a valkyrie. That's not what it's for. The dd fills the big hyzer or headwind shot that you'd pull out a wraith for.

Full disclosure, I havnt thrown a c line dd. Just s.

I can say with a lot of experience that this year's run of star wraiths were definitely not more OS than champ. And have very quickly beat in.

On a open field shot you are never going to throw a dd farther than a wraith. A firebird isnt going to out distance a valkyrie. That's not what it's for. The dd fills the big hyzer or headwind shot that you'd pull out a wraith for.

Full disclosure, I havnt thrown a c line dd. Just s.

I agree that this year's Wraiths are not monstrous overstable; that is why I had no issue coming back to them after many years. However, many molds, most notably the Destroyer and Thunderbird were completely different than Champion.

That is why I am turning here for anecdotal research. Inbounds has the DD as a touch longer and straighter flier than the Wraith. I am not looking for a huge difference from the Wraith, the checking account would not be happy with me, but if it indeed it is a straighter flyer than the Wraith, with my style of throwing flat and low for 400', then that would be perfect. Right now, this DD rivals the Wraith in raw distance, but the Wraith was closer to the intended line; straightening the DD out with more forward fade as the numbers suggest, might give it a few feet of advantage. For better or worse, several Minnesota courses have holes where just a few feet over 400' power provides a huge advantage over those who are just under, especially if you are as bad of a putter as I am outside of 20'. All numbers suggest that it is not a Firebird and Valkyrie difference, but those are only numbers.

The dyed C-Line 175g was not grossly overstable, no where the Firebirds I pack, but it had more HSS than I would like for a flat release. That may even out with some headwind, but I want a straighter thrower at power. The S DDx I run already covers shaping lines on max distance throws, but now I am looking for max distance that I can aim a little right (because I am notorious for unconsciously releasing a millisecond late), it will hold true, and then fade in at the end. I am hoping the S DD can get relatively the same distance as the DDx but on the line I just described. The Wraith, while more consistent than the other drivers I have tried recently, locks on to unintentional OAT lines and or has more lateral movement than I would like. The Halo is closer to the flight I would like, but the wider (and I can feel the difference between 2.2 and 2.4) and slightly slanted inner rim make it a less comfortable grip.

I guess the ultimate answer I am looking for here is whether or not the S Line, at least the most recent runs that I would pick up in the store, are they less HSS stable than the C-Line? If so, by how much?

Gotcha, wish I could help you on the s vs c.

Also, yeah the firebird vs valk was a poor comparison. Just what poped in my head.

I agree that this year's Wraiths are not monstrous overstable; that is why I had no issue coming back to them after many years. However, many molds, most notably the Destroyer and Thunderbird were completely different than Champion.

That is why I am turning here for anecdotal research. Inbounds has the DD as a touch longer and straighter flier than the Wraith. I am not looking for a huge difference from the Wraith, the checking account would not be happy with me, but if it indeed it is a straighter flyer than the Wraith, with my style of throwing flat and low for 400', then that would be perfect. Right now, this DD rivals the Wraith in raw distance, but the Wraith was closer to the intended line; straightening the DD out with more forward fade as the numbers suggest, might give it a few feet of advantage. For better or worse, several Minnesota courses have holes where just a few feet over 400' power provides a huge advantage over those who are just under, especially if you are as bad of a putter as I am outside of 20'. All numbers suggest that it is not a Firebird and Valkyrie difference, but those are only numbers.

The dyed C-Line 175g was not grossly overstable, no where the Firebirds I pack, but it had more HSS than I would like for a flat release. That may even out with some headwind, but I want a straighter thrower at power. The S DDx I run already covers shaping lines on max distance throws, but now I am looking for max distance that I can aim a little right (because I am notorious for unconsciously releasing a millisecond late), it will hold true, and then fade in at the end. I am hoping the S DD can get relatively the same distance as the DDx but on the line I just described. The Wraith, while more consistent than the other drivers I have tried recently, locks on to unintentional OAT lines and or has more lateral movement than I would like. The Halo is closer to the flight I would like, but the wider (and I can feel the difference between 2.2 and 2.4) and slightly slanted inner rim make it a less comfortable grip.

I guess the ultimate answer I am looking for here is whether or not the S Line, at least the most recent runs that I would pick up in the store, are they less HSS stable than the C-Line? If so, by how much?

The S-Line DD and DDx are my go to distance forehand and backhand drivers, respectively. Here is my take on your question. I think you'll struggle to get similar distance from the DD as you do for the DDx and the reason is the difference in glide. Discmania giving the DDx a 6 while the DD is a 5 is not a mistake, and itmeans that the DD will start falling out of the sky while the DDx is still floating. Maybe that difference is lessened if you get a more domey DD, but I think it would still be noticeable because of how the discs are designed.

The disc I'd recommend you check out is the Opto Cutlass. I use it as my max distance stable forehand driver on shots that I need to go a little farther that the DD. To me, it flies like a very long Thunderbird with slightly more fade. The rim is also 2.2 cm which is within the range you mentioned and is very comfortable in my opinion shape-wise.

Last edited:
The numbers aren't accurate for the DD. It's more OS. Your disc is probably not a freak, they fly overstable

The only two DD's I've thrown were both P-line, and they were still both more HSS than any Wraith I can recall. They both held a nice tight line for good distance, but I didn't throw them enough to remember the fade at the end or how far they were going. I've recently picked up a Star Orc that seems to be more HSS than flippy Wraiths with slightly less fade at the end than stable Wraiths. I would have grabbed a P-line DD if one had been locally available.

How does the DD feel in the hand compared to the Wraith. I feel that the Wraith's rim is too square but the Destroyer feels fine in my hand. I'm looking for something for max D forehand but is less OS than a fresh C-PD.

First run DD

Does anyone have any experience with First run DD?
How are their flights and what is the value of a brand new first run DD?