• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Evolution Instinct

Thats globalisation for ya. You can* go to Alibaba and buy stuff from China at a fraction of what you pay in your homeland. Shipping costs are not the kicker anymore in the modern world.

*Whether you SHOULD is another question.

I remember when i lived in Stockholm and bought a CD that where produced by Stockholm records and made in Sweden . . .the CD was cheaper to buy throw an Webbshop in Asia than in a store in Stockholm. . thats just mad.

But the Instinct IS quite expensive compared to other "non signature discs" at least here in Sweden. . a Instinct is $5 more that a normal C-line. . .looking at some US stores it seems like it $3 more over there.

But i feel like disc prices in general is on the way up, the companys have to pay all those new big contracts ;)

Im definitely not going to buy any disc at a 30% higher price than other similar product. It seems to me like Discmania have really messed up this release.

Higher price and plastic that gets flippy faster. I can see that being an attractive quality to some, but I switched from EMac Truths to MD3s because I like the consistency Innova plastic gives me as the disc beats in.

^is that fact or just generalisation from other Lat64 plastic? have you experienced it yourself? I have not much experience with Swedish plastic, but have read lots about this (and some people even say its not so).

^is that fact or just generalisation from other Lat64 plastic? have you experienced it yourself? I have not much experience with Swedish plastic, but have read lots about this (and some people even say its not so).

I have by no means found swedish plastic to get flippy faster. I have XXXs that I'm still throwing from 2014

Interesting that you disc with a narrower rim as being a longer thunderbird. must be pretty glidy

It's very glide-y. I've been throwing instincts for a couple weeks now, and I'll echo what has been said about their distance potential. I don't have a monster arm (I max out at about 400 on golf lines), but these things just keep going. I'd put them about 30-50 feet longer than the teebirds or explorers I have when thrown with similar power. I get those discs comfortably to 320-330, and I've been able to push the instincts to about 370.

It's very glide-y. I've been throwing instincts for a couple weeks now, and I'll echo what has been said about their distance potential. I don't have a monster arm (I max out at about 400 on golf lines), but these things just keep going. I'd put them about 30-50 feet longer than the teebirds or explorers I have when thrown with similar power. I get those discs comfortably to 320-330, and I've been able to push the instincts to about 370.

Well this has me interested even though half of my bag is variations of straight to fade.

How wind resistant are they? What speed would you call them?

I love how consistent the Thunderbird is in all conditions, but I can throw neutral speed 7 fairways 30-40' farther than them on normal throws. Thunderbirds absorb power and wind so well, but they don't go all that far for me. Great disc on the course though.

Eagle McMahon made some really nice shots with the Instinct at the Beaver State Fling.

It definitely handles power. He throws so hard. I throw the CD2 on those lines. I can't see how it would fit into my bag personally.

Meanwhile he throws a first run PD 500 feet dead straight. Crazy.

OT but that 81mph he throw was an absolute " perfect hit" . . totaly perfect form on that throw, SO effortless and insanely fast throw

OT but that 81mph he throw was an absolute " perfect hit" . . totaly perfect form on that throw, SO effortless and insanely fast throw

Then a 86 mph PD2 roller... Just stupid. So, for me, watching Igor McManaman throw an Instinct doesn't tell me one damn thing about how it will fly for me. :D

However, I was able to grab an Instinct at a local shop and it is a great disc. The flight reminds me of the KJ Teebirds. A slightly more OS Teebird/FAF CG Eagle flight. However, the wing just felt strange to me. It is narrow, has a fairly blunt shoulder, but the bottom of the wing just didn't seem to settle in my hand that well... Luckily, that type of hand-feel is entirely personal, so the flight is really what makes this stand out and it's a fantastic glidey laserbeam of a disc with a decently strong finish. This is the exact shot that I use my fresh flat/firm Color Glow Eagles for - dead straight with no worry of turning over, and a fairly aggressive finish. However, the Instinct beats the Eagle on glide every time. If I can get used to the feel, I can see this easily kicking Eagles from my bag.

Well this has me interested even though half of my bag is variations of straight to fade.

How wind resistant are they? What speed would you call them?

I love how consistent the Thunderbird is in all conditions, but I can throw neutral speed 7 fairways 30-40' farther than them on normal throws. Thunderbirds absorb power and wind so well, but they don't go all that far for me. Great disc on the course though.

Mine are nothing close to what I'd call seasoned yet, but I've thrown them into pretty significant headwinds (~20 mph) without seeing any noticeable turn. They just kind of hold the line. I will say that on a few throws into that headwind where I left them a little nose up, they reacted very quickly into a lift & stall. Possibly an effect of the significant glide. But clean lines showed great wind resistance. YMMV, especially depending on arm speed. I was at BSF and saw Eagle smashing them on fairly steep hyzer flips that would drift some to the right before the fade, but he was also throwing them 70+ mph into occasional headwind.

As for the speed, the rim feels like a true speed 7 rim. They feel very much like a teebird/explorer in the hand. I'd also say they fly very speed 7ish in that the power required to get the straight to fade flight is significantly less than say, a thunderbird or PD. The glide just allows them to carry.

I'd also say they fly very speed 7ish in that the power required to get the straight to fade flight is significantly less than say, a thunderbird or PD. The glide just allows them to carry.

Cool, this is the part of speed 7ish fairways that I really like. I bag the 9ish stuff for wind and fade reasons, but I really enjoy throwing speed 7's more.

Need to try this disc, i relly like the 17mm Rim size, many of the 9-speed disc has a rim size very close to a driver.

Only problem is to find a nice 17mm stable to OS disc. . i have tryed the Teebird, Explorer, and FD2, the first two has a super sharp underside of the Rim. . hate that. . and the FD2 was not really that stable.

Need to try the Instinct, the new FD2 and maybe a Rival

Need to try this disc, i relly like the 17mm Rim size, many of the 9-speed disc has a rim size very close to a driver.

Only problem is to find a nice 17mm stable to OS disc. . i have tryed the Teebird, Explorer, and FD2, the first two has a super sharp underside of the Rim. . hate that. . and the FD2 was not really that stable.

Need to try the Instinct, the new FD2 and maybe a Rival

Yeah the 9 speed according to older brands like Innova and Discraft label a disc 9 speed a driver anyhow as they have the speed. I think that 9-10 speed if I made a company would be called control drivers as they are too fast for fairway and 11+ would be distance drivers The 8 speed discs would not be made as most of the discs are a redundancy of the 9 speed discs if they have the exact numbers from the same brand or company of brands.

Latest posts