• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

ok so i got to throw my fd after work today for about 45 min or so til it got dark. luckily today there wasnt any wind hardly over 5mph. PERFECT! ok so since i didnt have a leo to test next to the fd i took my 172 8/10 ce taffy qjls since i know how it flies already. the fd i got is 175,moderately domed and isnt stiff nor too gummy.

first throw was uphill ,both thrown flat with my usual x step. the qj flew flat,tracked a couple feet right and then faded forward a couple feet. the fd flew flat with no turn and then faded out the last 50',very similar to an eagle x,domey later run qjls, and maybe a champ leo. taking them both to the next area was across a small creek slightly down hill about 280' with a 10' foot elevation drop aiming to hit under a big pecan tree where the basket was placed 40' behind the tree. the qj still flew straight as my buzzz's with little movement. fd flew straight for 80% of its flight then faded out the last 20% or so skipping left some. the next 2 throws were basically back up the hill to the tee i just threw from . doing my full run up and throwing about 80% i hucked the qj flat,tracked right several feet then flattened out in a tight helix landing 50' past the tee box. threw the fd the exact same way and with the fd fading out again the last 20% of the flight only a little more left than the qjls but oddly enough ,the same distance. once i was starting to get the hang of the fd on how to throw it to get more distance,the results pleased me quite a bit. the next throws were on flat ground from volley ball pit to under a bridge which is about 400' or so since last i measured it. doing my regular run up with no wind,throwing flat, i tossed the qjls about 15' off the ground tracking right about 20' or so to then have it fade back the last 20% finishing at around 355'. throwing the fd on the same line only a little harder, i got the fd to turn more this time like the qjls to do a beautiful helix to have it fade forward and settle down nicely.i will say that the glide on this thing is very river like, i was kinda hoping for wind to see how the tail wind and headwind would affect the fd . its got alot of glide and flew amazing on low lines like timko has been saying. it was easily passing the qj 25' / 30' every time i threw it . thrown on the same line they were only about 15'-20' apart from eachother side by side with the fd a lil further ahead. tossing them back towards the vb pit i was getting the hang of the fd more and more. of all my throws during the time i had,the longest was about 365/370 give or take a some feet. definitely anxious to see the production run and see if this disc gets changed any or if mine is a fluke tester.

while i only got a few sidearm throws and as my side arm isnt too clean outside of 300' ,the fd definitely bombed out there effortlessly and always came out of an intentional torqued throw. on control flicks,its straight as can be up to the last part of its flight. i cant wait to see what it does on a technical course on having to hit lines i actually need to hit.

the rim on the fd feels very roadrunner like with a thick gyroscopic rim. the flight plate isnt thin like zj said above. very dense and the dome is a clean dome all across from end to end. im not sure if mine is a freak of a fd but it flies different than how timko described his to be. this thing wasnt easy to turn like my qjls. right off the bat this fd reminded me of my heavy domey later run qjls or an eagle x. the fade of my fd is definitely more than a qjls but not overbearing like a fb and the like. i can see this thing being very workable in technical courses like an eagle x/pd . take my review with a grain of salt because im not sure all of the tester fds fly the same.

i can see the fd being as popular as the pd and even beating in as good as the pd does. only time will tell obviously but so far im liking mine.

more testing coming through out the week when i get more time with it as well as possibly getting to go to an actual course on wednesday after work. my thoughts of the mold itself are like zjs and mikes. after comparing the top to my pds,dd's ,the top is definitely not the anhyzer(pd)top . the wing is similar to the leopard but its definitely different in that its more convex and the bevel is much smaller. overall i like the feel and flight of the fd,looks like im gonna order some!

It sounds interesting. More stable than I expected, but interesting. :)

interesting indeed. booter also had a max weight one in star plastic. i imagine they would be much different a few g's lighter in P plastic.

Have we heard if they will be released in P anytime soon after real release?

It sounds interesting. More stable than I expected, but interesting. :)

interesting indeed. booter also had a max weight one in star plastic. i imagine they would be much different a few g's lighter in P plastic.

Timko also reviewed one on DGR and his sounded less stable than Booter's. I'll have something worthwhile to add to this in a couple hours when I get back from the course. I'm taking the FD to a fairly short wooded course where it will be applicable from nearly every teepad to give it a thorough workout.

So Mark at Disc Golf Values sent me 5, which I sent out to some of our DGR folks. From the sounds of it, I think it performs differently across a variety of power levels. Thrown with a lot of snap but not a ton of speed, it holds the line you put on it for 85% of it's flight then gently pans out or fades. Thrown hard with a lot of snap, it turns.

Sounds like a Teebird to me. Super straight then fades. If the other plastic is less stable sounds like a TL

I just got back from the course and testing the FD. Mine is the other orange one, probably identical to Trey's. I didn't get to do any open full power rips, mostly I was throwing it on every tee either BH or FH and trying to hit gaps. It was pretty windy, with 5-10mph constant wind with stronger gusts.

Simply put it is a TB/TL/Leo hybrid (with a little RR in there as well). It has the speed of the TB/TL with the glide and flightpath of a premium plastic Leopard. I could also call it a QJLS with a bit more speed/glide/range. The wind resistance was fairly impressive for a neutral glidey disc...about the same as a TL. It glided easier and turned slower than a TL though.

Speed
The FD is about the speed of a TB/TL, but it holds it's speed/spin noticeably longer. As was mentioned previously, this is a very gyroscopic mold. I love the speed...It's exactly what I want between my mids and PDs/TDs.

Glide
This is where the FD really represents the "new" generation of fairway drivers...It glides like a RR. I was throwing it on BH and FH anhyzers and it turned VERY slow and glided awesome. It reminds me of my Axis in this respect, and I certainly see the seasoned Roc comparisons. The glide also brings the cruising speed down to about that of a JLS, and it can push into it's glide phase over a large range of speeds before actually getting understable or overstable.

HSS
I have a fairly flat and spin dominant throw. I use more reachback for max D, but I didn't do any of that with the FD today. On the 300-350' holes I used it on today it had just a touch of high speed turn...Mostly it just pushed forward on it's line of release. That being said, it turned easily with a slight anhyzer release, and as Trey said, if too low it would hold it to the ground (reminds me of Leo). I was throwing some very low shots that pushed forward from a hyzer release and flew long while holding their angle.

LSS
The FD seems to have a consistent LSS, at least if not turned too much. From flat and hyzer releases it always faded. It started fading at about the same point as a new Ch or S TB, but the fade is more gliding and forward. I should mention that although the disc does not fade out of low annies, it does at least fight to get flat.

Overall I'm very impressed and excited about this disc...It shows real promise of overcoming the shortcomings I've found with other fwy drivers. I had a lot of success throwing it both FH and BH...My FH is OATy with some discs, but the FD was coming out so butter smooth that I was bombing slow annies on holes where I normally throw BH hyzers. For a lot of the shots I wanted to throw with it the FD was simply too stable in it's new condition...So I can't wait to get this disc broken in a bit. It's a real winner imo and I can't wait to throw it some more. I'm going to be very vocal on DM's FB page that I feel the testers are great discs and they should keep that configuration for the first runs.

when is this disc going to be released as a non cfr disc? what types of plastic are we talking about?

what are different discmania plastics like. I thorw innova. Can someone please give me a breakdown?

This disc is sounding exactly like what I have been looking to replace my jls' with. I cant wait till this is in full production and in S,C, and P line.

Overall I'm very impressed and excited about this disc...It shows real promise of overcoming the shortcomings I've found with other fwy drivers. I had a lot of success throwing it both FH and BH...My FH is OATy with some discs, but the FD was coming out so butter smooth that I was bombing slow annies on holes where I normally throw BH hyzers. For a lot of the shots I wanted to throw with it the FD was simply too stable in it's new condition...So I can't wait to get this disc broken in a bit. It's a real winner imo and I can't wait to throw it some more. I'm going to be very vocal on DM's FB page that I feel the testers are great discs and they should keep that configuration for the first runs.

Nice review! I just ordered 4 165-169 S-FD and 4 170-172 S-FD. Hope it will replace Leo/River/QJLS that I have in my bag (yeah kind of overlap as I am trying to narrow down the molds). I think FD's would compliment well with beefier Teebirds which can handle some headwind and extra fade (I can only throw Teebird up to around 300' right now).

I'd bet that the C-line will be released within 6mos to a year from the release date of the first run SFDs. This way they maximize sales as the SFD is "new" for a while and then when the sales spike starts to decline they will release the CFD and get that "new" sales spike again.

I just got back from the course and testing the FD. Mine is the other orange one, probably identical to Trey's. I didn't get to do any open full power rips, mostly I was throwing it on every tee either BH or FH and trying to hit gaps. It was pretty windy, with 5-10mph constant wind with stronger gusts.

Simply put it is a TB/TL/Leo hybrid (with a little RR in there as well). It has the speed of the TB/TL with the glide and flightpath of a premium plastic Leopard. I could also call it a QJLS with a bit more speed/glide/range. The wind resistance was fairly impressive for a neutral glidey disc...about the same as a TL. It glided easier and turned slower than a TL though.

Speed
The FD is about the speed of a TB/TL, but it holds it's speed/spin noticeably longer. As was mentioned previously, this is a very gyroscopic mold. I love the speed...It's exactly what I want between my mids and PDs/TDs.

Glide
This is where the FD really represents the "new" generation of fairway drivers...It glides like a RR. I was throwing it on BH and FH anhyzers and it turned VERY slow and glided awesome. It reminds me of my Axis in this respect, and I certainly see the seasoned Roc comparisons. The glide also brings the cruising speed down to about that of a JLS, and it can push into it's glide phase over a large range of speeds before actually getting understable or overstable.

HSS
I have a fairly flat and spin dominant throw. I use more reachback for max D, but I didn't do any of that with the FD today. On the 300-350' holes I used it on today it had just a touch of high speed turn...Mostly it just pushed forward on it's line of release. That being said, it turned easily with a slight anhyzer release, and as Trey said, if too low it would hold it to the ground (reminds me of Leo). I was throwing some very low shots that pushed forward from a hyzer release and flew long while holding their angle.

LSS
The FD seems to have a consistent LSS, at least if not turned too much. From flat and hyzer releases it always faded. It started fading at about the same point as a new Ch or S TB, but the fade is more gliding and forward. I should mention that although the disc does not fade out of low annies, it does at least fight to get flat.

awesome job! thanks for all the great info.. once i get my money situation back in order ill be snagging some for sure :thmbup:

I got to throw the FD today.

175g on the button, in S plastic.

The first thing I noticed was the top, the dome popped from edge to edge. Not quite as domey, but it had a similar look to the Champ Darts. It wasn't like the anhyzer top that I was expecting to see. I had a leopard handy for comparison, and its not the same, similar, but a little thicker stack heighth to the rim. The rim also had a bit of taper to it like the Roadrunner and the TD.

I worked out on a 325' hole that is very straight. I threw it alongside a 172g Champ Teebird and a 176g Lat64 River. I thought it had a very similar flight path to the TB, not turning a whole lot out to this distance. The differnece came with LSS, the TB wants to get to the ground and give a skip, the FD just wants to glide its way to the turf. It was similar to the River in wanting to glide its way to to the ground. It was fading, it just wasn't banking, this caused it to stick close to where it hit, like the River.

Overall, I loved it, straight and glidey. Since I had to give this one back, now I get to wait and dream like everyone else. Damn, never should have thrown it.

Latest posts