• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

I've been throwing my FTD a lot, and today I threw it a lot again. It has now had quite a few good knocks on pine trees and has broken in a bit. It is now holding out longer before fading, fading less in general, and gliding more. It also came up from a deeper hyzer into the wind today than it did when it was brand new (but didn't turn over). Evidently it is also taking less time for me to develop a connection with this disc than I thought because I was carving it up like a surgeon with it today. This disc is so glidey, straight, and slow turning that I must admit it really seems to have the characteristics I was hoping for to be able to make my bag (and be the perfect fairway for my style). At this point I would describe it as a disc with the stability, durability, and wind resistance of a premium plastic with the glide and flight line of a pro/baseline disc.

One thing I haven't really posted about regarding the FD is how well it does powered down on low ceiling shots. Hole #1 (short middle position) at Taylor Park is only between 250' and 300' (I don't remember exactly), but it is very technical with the only conventional BH line being a very low ceiling S shot. Both in warmups and during the handicap today I finessed the FD on a slight anny release and it carved the hole exactly. This is so key to my game down here because as I've mentioned again and again course design in FL often revolves around low ceilings (no elevation). The FD is the first fairway that I've been able to throw how I want on many holes with touch and accuracy...All the other fairways I've used that were also good at low ceilings really needed to be powered to hit those lines, but the FD can do it with finesse. I really can't help it...I'm starting to get gaga over my FD. The only other discs I've seen or thrown that remind of the FD's flight at all are old seasoned CE TLs and CE Leopards.

Last edited:
u get gaga over most new discs mike ;)

btw,i prefer the qjls for that shot your talking about.

I know, right, and it's been awhile since I got that feeling...

Are you talking CE QJLS? If so, I agree...I have a lot of the clear ones though, and they take a long time to get to that stability, and then they still take more effort for me. Also, it has sounded to this point like we've got pretty different discs (at least stabilty-wise).

yep. ce qj ,i have some of the older flat qjls with the big QJLS stamp that are flat and those are much easier to work than the later ones.

yeah we did have different fd's,i was hoping mine would actually be like the rest of yalls but it wasnt. just a little more stable like my fresh clear qjls. i suppose i could beat mine in a little and it would be workable like yalls but i think ill just stick with my ce qjls since i have alot already.

One thing I haven't really posted about regarding the FD is how well it does powered down on low ceiling shots. Hole #1 (short middle position) at Taylor Park is only between 250' and 300' (I don't remember exactly), but it is very technical with the only conventional BH line being a very low ceiling S shot. Both in warmups and during the handicap today I finessed the FD on a slight anny release and it carved the hole exactly. This is so key to my game down here because as I've mentioned again and again course design in FL often revolves around low ceilings (no elevation). The FD is the first fairway that I've been able to throw how I want on many holes with touch and accuracy...All the other fairways I've used that were also good at low ceilings really needed to be powered to hit those lines, but the FD can do it with finesse. I really can't help it...I'm starting to get gaga over my FD. The only other discs I've seen or thrown that remind of the FD's flight at all are old seasoned CE TLs and CE Leopards.

Why not just throw a stable low flying mid like a Buzzz on this shot? Seems like there would be a lot less guess work in terms or release angle and power level...

Why not just throw a stable low flying mid like a Buzzz on this shot? Seems like there would be a lot less guess work in terms or release angle and power level...

It's too low for the Buzzz...To get there you really have to flirt with the ceiling, and it's also sandy so there is NO skip or slide if you hit the ground early. It also requires more left to right movement than the Buzzz can do and still pull out of....I used to throw my Buzzz there, but my percentages of getting in the circle were pretty low.

Going through the thread on DGR, I saw somebody comment "this is why DGR>DGCR". I also noticed that a thread on DGR describing a new disc that has a lot of people excited gets a post every 2-5 hours on average.

wtf does that have to do with this thread?

the difference is you have people who know what theyre talking about or have something useful to say vs people who talk out of their ass or just complain

It's too low for the Buzzz...To get there you really have to flirt with the ceiling, and it's also sandy so there is NO skip or slide if you hit the ground early. It also requires more left to right movement than the Buzzz can do and still pull out of....I used to throw my Buzzz there, but my percentages of getting in the circle were pretty low.

Fair enough. Throwing an understable disc powered down on an anhyzer and relying on it to hold the angle and fade at the right time doesn't seem like a game I'd want to play, if I could avoid it, but I've never played the hole in question! Do what you gotta do for the 2.

Fair enough. Throwing an understable disc powered down on an anhyzer and relying on it to hold the angle and fade at the right time doesn't seem like a game I'd want to play, if I could avoid it, but I've never played the hole in question! Do what you gotta do for the 2.

Yeah, I would much rather throw a mid myself! Hell, I usually would throw an Ion for that D, but this hole is pretty crazy. Most birdies are the result of a long putt, a poke and hope FH, or some crazy over the top shot that initially has no chance and hits the right tree and falls down by the basket. To have a disc that will carve this line with some repeatability is a stroke on the field...

Where do you play Josh? There are quite a few holes in Charlotte where an understable disc on an anhyzer (flex) line is the best shot. When I lived in Chicago I never had to throw this type of shot (and never really learned my discs as a result.

I live in MN. Plenty of wooded courses around, but not a lot of low ceilings that prohibit me from throwing a Buzzz 275' off the tee. One factor I didn't consider was playing surface. We have a lot of hard packed dirt and absolutely no sand. Generally, a low ceiling shot (in MN) is under dense tree canopy, and you most often get a skip or slide because there isn't much/any grass.

I throw a lot of understable plastic, but usually on a flat shot with some height or a hyzer flip, and most often at near full power. If I'm throwing an understable disc on an anhyzer, it's typically one of three things: a turn into the ground, a really high shot, or a roller. I don't often mess with the balancing act of underpowering understable discs unless it's a putter or I'm trying to get out of trouble in an awkward stance.

Last edited:
Similar to Discspeed's hole as described above, I've used the FD on a 275' hole that distance wise I'd rather throw a midrange on. However, the hole requires a helicopter shot from a midrange (or a big, big turnover) because the gap to work slightly right to left has a low ceiling. I have thrown an FD there the past 3 rounds flat with with a finesse shot, carving it in at the angle that I want.

While the disc is has a good deal of HS turn, I that when throwing it on shorter distance finesse shots it's pretty predictable. Granted, if you're airing it out 350' you're going to start introducing some more guessing, but so far, it's really predictable on those finesse lines. It's started cooling off here, and I start throwing overstable stuff on big anhyzer lines for distance when the temp dips.

Also, Disc Golf Values pre-orders for the FD end Wednesday. So if you want one, I suggest you pick it up.

Going through the thread on DGR, I saw somebody comment "this is why DGR>DGCR". I also noticed that a thread on DGR describing a new disc that has a lot of people excited gets a post every 2-5 hours on average.

This is why quality > quantity

Latest posts