• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

Timko said:
They break in pretty quick.

Note that the nose looks smaller on them. The plastic didn't puff up, which I think gives them more speed (and more glide), but makes their flight change quicker over use.
It really didn't puff up, even the diameter is a couple of millimeters smaller.

Anyone know of this mold's relation to the Leopard? If you look closely at the bottom of the rim (where the flashing is, just out toward the edge from there), it looks like a "smoothed out" bump that the leopard has. The Leo has an odd thing on the lip right at the very bottom of the lip. The jackal has a small remnant of that but looks like it was smoothed out, partially. I was just curious to see if this was intentionally partially removed? Anyone know or have a guess?

patdabunny said:
Anyone know of this mold's relation to the Leopard? If you look closely at the bottom of the rim (where the flashing is, just out toward the edge from there), it looks like a "smoothed out" bump that the leopard has. The Leo has an odd thing on the lip right at the very bottom of the lip. The jackal has a small remnant of that but looks like it was smoothed out, partially. I was just curious to see if this was intentionally partially removed? Anyone know or have a guess?

I too am curious about this.

i dont like my FD, it always turns and goes way right if i throw it with any power at all.. this happened on a 280' hole... the disc just took a turn and wouldnt come back :( i almost lost it..

plex said:
i dont like my FD, it always turns and goes way right if i throw it with any power at all.. this happened on a 280' hole... the disc just took a turn and wouldnt come back :( i almost lost it..

Sounds like form issue

I have two production S-FDs I've been throwing for a few weeks now. They are both 175g.

They are both AWESOME.

My experience with the FD has been nothing but positive so far. Thrown hard, I can get them to fly out to about 400' or so pretty consitantly. Obviously there is some turn, but it's really controllable. It works super well for long, slow turnovers as well.

I'm excited to see what these do when they get a bit broken in. They already have insane glide. Hopefully they'll allow me to drop some beat TL's from my bag.

Overall I've been super impressed.

plex said:
Hmm, my S-FD's can easily handle 350'+ with just a shallow hyzer. You might have gotten a lemon, or could be a form issue.

From everything I'm reading, the FD doesn't look very dissimilar to a leopard. What exactly am I missing about the details that would make me want one of these over a star/pro/champ leopard? I'm still hunting for a slightly understable disc to compliment my teebirds - the TD is good at what it does but I have to throw it too hard for finesse shots.

victorb said:
From everything I'm reading, the FD doesn't look very dissimilar to a leopard. What exactly am I missing about the details that would make me want one of these over a star/pro/champ leopard? I'm still hunting for a slightly understable disc to compliment my teebirds - the TD is good at what it does but I have to throw it too hard for finesse shots.
It's quite a bit faster than a Leo for starters.

victorb said:

Because the FD fades too much for that. GL River may be too much as well but it is straighter and despite being faster and more of a distance driver the River powers down well. Better than the S FD i have.

jubuttib said:
plex said:
Hmm, my S-FD's can easily handle 350'+ with just a shallow hyzer. You might have gotten a lemon, or could be a form issue.

I haven't thrown mine with good traction yet and mine flipped each time quite much but it also faded harder than i like a FW to do for tunnel work. So more height may help with initial hyzer angle. I think i threw farther than jubuttib did but i have no reliable distance measurements at the place i threw mine.

JR said:
victorb said:

Because the FD fades too much for that. GL River may be too much as well but it is straighter and despite being faster and more of a distance driver the River powers down well. Better than the S FD i have.

Victorb - I stuck with Leo's for low-power shots and fairway stuff. Simply put, FD might be too fast for low-power shots (at my power range, <300' on the fairway), Rivers might be useless in anything but a tailwind, and Leo's are right in my power range AND can the stable ones can hold a line in very light winds. Hope that helps.

Shoot...if it aint broke, dont fix it.

I've thought about having a Leo in my bag, but frankly the gap between it and the PD/TD is too long and the gap between it and the MD2 is too short. The FD fits better into that gap.

You hit the nail on the head. I've just been thinking of slimming my bag down to P1 MD2(1 understable, 1 stable) FD PD (1 straight, 1 overstable). Don't really need anything else.

maskedavenger said:
You hit the nail on the head. I've just been thinking of slimming my bag down to P1 MD2(1 understable, 1 stable) FD PD (1 straight, 1 overstable). Don't really need anything else.

That would work great, if your straight PD is good for max D. I would use P2's (preference), but more importantly, I would add another putter for drives/approaches.

jubuttib said:
I've thought about having a Leo in my bag, but frankly the gap between it and the PD/TD is too long and the gap between it and the MD2 is too short. The FD fits better into that gap.

How much power does an FD need to be useful? By useful I mean that it doesn't fade off it's line too soon.

Fightingthetide said:
jubuttib said:
How much power does an FD need to be useful? By useful I mean that it doesn't fade off it's line too soon.
I haven't played around with it a lot yet, but from what I've seen I can power down on it to under 300' and it still won't fade too much. Especially the D-lines.

dgdave said:
I can toss 200-250 or so flat.

so you can finesse it like a leopard for low straight shots, and power it up for longer turnovers than a leo? It's tough to figure out how this disc would fit without having access to throw one right now (I don't want to buy 3-4 then not like them)