• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Discmania FD ~VS~ Millenium Orion

Disc of Cheese

Birdie Member
I've had little to no luck trying to search for solid comparisons. While I am familiar with the FD mold(7(6(-1(1)))) and it's various incarnations, I recently came into an O-LS (9(5(-2(2)))) It seems really similar to me on paper, but when I cycled it into my field throws with the FD family it handled differently. My FDs always flex in an S-curve somewhat, but I got a few throws with the O-LS that were close to the ground, laser straight flyers with late, minimal fade. I was hoping for opinions on how much these overlap?

is it like an FD3? (as in leopard3, Roc3, etc)

Could we also get a comparison going between the two mold families as well?

Last edited:
FD3 is a Firebird clone that is slightly less stable and completely unlike the FD. There is a lot of overlap between the OLS and the FD. You can find either in varying runs/plastics to cover your straight to US fairway slot. Obviously the OLS is a bit faster, but the FD goes about the same distance for me.

I know about FD3s... I was asking, based on specs, if the comparison 'O-LS is to the FD what the mako3 is to the mako' is a valid interpretation.

I misunderstood.

I think that's somewhat valid. They are both discs with some turn and some fade, but pretty straight overall. The FD has more glide, but is a bit slower.

I have been looking at both discs to see which would fit me better. So, which one is more power hungry? More sensitive to OAT? Nose sensitive? Which would be a better compliment to an Eagle X?

For reference, I can get to 380-400 on a good throw.

I know about FD3s... I was asking, based on specs, if the comparison 'O-LS is to the FD what the mako3 is to the mako' is a valid interpretation.

You do realize that one is a fairway driver, and the other a distance driver, right? Different speeds, different uses.

I have been looking at both discs to see which would fit me better. So, which one is more power hungry? More sensitive to OAT? Nose sensitive? Which would be a better compliment to an Eagle X?

For reference, I can get to 380-400 on a good throw.

The funny thing is, I have both of these molds in my bag and I think both of them could handle all the power you could throw at them. I push my PD out to 380' with Wraiths, Destroyers and Outlaws going past that, but my Sirius O-LS and my C-line FD never really get too far off course on a full rip. Both are very solid molds, with the O-LS stretching it's legs out a bit farther. If I'm looking for something in the 380' range, with less finish than my PD, the O-LS comes out. The FD comes out when it's more like the 350' range.

The funny thing is, I have both of these molds in my bag and I think both of them could handle all the power you could throw at them. I push my PD out to 380' with Wraiths, Destroyers and Outlaws going past that, but my Sirius O-LS and my C-line FD never really get too far off course on a full rip. Both are very solid molds, with the O-LS stretching it's legs out a bit farther. If I'm looking for something in the 380' range, with less finish than my PD, the O-LS comes out. The FD comes out when it's more like the 350' range.

Which one do you think is more controllable? Better for an anhyzer?

The reason why I ask is that I got my bag just about completed and want a controllable understandable driver that isn't too flippy. I tried the Hatchet and it was too flippy for my tastes. I tried the Patriot but I feel that I can use my EagleX (EX) in beaten stages to fill that role. Right not, I'm leaning towards the OLS because it is a little faster and the gap isn't too close to the EX.

The OLS works better on a variety of lines at longer distances for me. I really like throwing the Patriot, because it feels more like a speed 8 and I can hyzer flip it to flat or turnover and in a lighter weight (167) it's a great long distance disc for those shots. If I need a bit more without getting into Mongoose territory, the OLS comes out.

Thanks for the feedback.

From my bag, I feel that a DX Eagle can cover FD type shots that require less fade. That and I think the SOLS may be a better complement to the EX. However, I am thinking that the FD might be able to take both slots from the EX and SOLS. I don't know.

Latest posts