• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania: PD versus CD

pablo.diablo

Eagle Member
Hope I don't get 'rubed for this thread, but I did try a search and did not find anything...so asking your thoughts on throwing your PD versus a CD?

I have many types of PD's, but I only have one CD and that is a "Super Durable S-Line". So I guess what would your comparisons be on S-Lines?

I've thrown both in the S-line and the pd is just better. Can't see the use for the CD if you have mulitple stages of wear of the pd. The CD is like a less glidely valkyrie, doesn't have the distance or accuracy of the pd for me and I dont like the grip as much either, I threw it off a mountain the first round I used it.

I kind of liked the CD. A good S-line CD can go dead nuts straight with almost no fade on the end. They can take a good amount of power as well. It can be a very usable disc but it just gets overshadowed by the PD. I prefer the TD in that slot. I didn't like how the rim felt in my hand. Not a bad disc though.

I was gonna say the CD looked like a valk top PD. Strange that you would say you don't like the way it feels though as they are so remarkably similar in mold, other than the edge of the wing.

I'm finding all the drivers I prefer are very similar in rim width / speed: Valk/SOF/PD

i believe its a valkyrie /viking bottom and pd top. it was nice when it came out but after the td came out,i was left in the dust. the cd is like a beat up pd or a new td. it overlaps with what u can do with a pd or td. its a noce disc but i like the pd and td more. it would make a nice replacement for a beat up pd though.

I throw both. A fr cd is dead straight with little fade. I havent thrown the new runs only the fr. I've heard the production runs can be flippy. Mine are nice and stable with a little high speed turn. I throw a pd when I want more fade or need more hss

I find the CD to be a VERY useful driver at all stages of wear.

Fresh, the thing is pretty stable, and I find it great for medium-length drives that fade hard.

Seasoned, my CDs are straight as hell, and even get longer as they get more beat. Adjust your release angle and they are great for hitting controlled lines.

As they get a bit older, they hyzer flip with ease, and go for miles. For a while I was throwing CDs for distance over my Wraiths.

Beat CDs are my go-to turning drivers.

The only thing I don't use them for are flicks.

I have been wondering about this. I have a P-PD that was beat to a no fade straight thrower.....until one last tree hit. :doh: Now the fade has returned a little. I thought the flight was pretty close to the P-CD I have. I wasn't quite sure since I rarely have both in the bag at the same time.

So, basically, all one needs is a C-PD, S-PD, P-PD and S-TD and a C-TD, and just about all shots would be covered once the S and P beat in....is that about right? If that is correct or close, that is pretty cool.

I grabbed a S-CD at DiscNation the other day b/c it was a badass green natural beauty with killer swirls. Only thrown it a handful of times but on one release (slight anny) it flew like TL straight a pretty long way. Hoping to harness some dead straight shots with it.

I was gonna say the CD looked like a valk top PD. Strange that you would say you don't like the way it feels though as they are so remarkably similar in mold, other than the edge of the wing.

They just didn't mesh with my hand. I would stand on the tee box and fidget with it the whole time and just never found the sweet spot where it felt comfortable. I've thrown S and P- lines and first runs. The first runs felt a little better but they were a different disc and I'm not into hunting down OOP molds. If you need to thread a needle and have a long distance to cover the CD is definitly money. The CD, PD, and TD are all great, usable discs. I just always found myself grabbing for the TD time after time so I dropped the other two and haven't missed them. I really don't like to cycle discs and buy different plastics of a mold. If I lose a disc, I want a fresh one to be able to take its place. Someone could probably use all three together and have a shot where each would excel. Discmania is the sh!t!

is there a big difference in stability between the p and s line cds? and for those who have thrown the p lines are they the stiff or soft pro? i like fresh s tds for long straight shots but once they beat in i've got to keep them on a hyzer for them to go straight and they don't fare well into a wind.

i used to throw the viking a ton back in the day when they came out, i'm kind of interested in picking up a cd or 2 to test. it does sound like they wouldn't really be needed if you throw pds and tds, but i kinda dig the ugly stamp.

I throw 2 S-CDs(170/175) and S/C/P PDs and I would say that an S-CD is closest to a P-PD w/less fade but go about the same distance (~430). They do fly very similar to a valk but I feel like they are a tad faster and further, almost like a longer leopard. My 170 is really beat up and is my go to for long annys and the 175 doesn't get used too much anymore as the P-PD can handle the wind better.

discmania cd

the first run cd and the current are quite different. the first runs are almost identical to a pd in flight. I have a stack of the original cds and love them. I had my first ace w one and went out and bought a new one to replace it only to find it to be much less stable. that being said the old cd and current pd are almost identical in flight for me. I have them from 163 to 178 and they retain workable stability in lighter weights. (firstruns) however the 178 is my go to as it is always windy in Wyo and it is extremely predictable w/o being too OS

I like both the discs, but hmmm... I've thrown both in S line plastic, and the CD was always a bit straighter with less fade, however I would say a touch shorter. The PD had a bit more forward fade, and seems to be a touch longer. I really LIKE the CD, but I LOVE the PD. I just seem to be able to work it for so many shots at different power levels.

the old mold cd's had a different top before they went with the anhyzer top that is on the cd/pd now. definitely more overstable than the current run cd mold.

I can't really get an S or C PD up to speed. I can throw a S-CD though, it goes very straight with a predictable fade at the end. Sort of a valk with less turn. Still prefer my SL, but my CD is fresh and holds up pretty well in light winds. I'm hoping to break it in a little and get some more turn and glide without losing the fade.