• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania splits with Innova

But DM had to have known he was going to not want to switch for a while. Obviously i do not know the timing of when the factory actually got up and running, but if they could have done it far enough in advance for him to get used to the putter, that would have been the ideal situation.

Of course if they only recently actually got production up and running, that is an entirely different situation which they cannot be faulted for.

Yeah I can see your point, thatd be ideal. But its not something I would have planned everything on. The new stuff will sell like hot cakes nevertheless.

Also using their baskets for DiscGolfPark.

They're a very different basket from the Innova Discatcher (single ring vs double ring on the US version, plus a number of other changes making them an inferior basket)

Fun fact. They weren't approved by the PDGA till 2018 and another in 2019. They're now called the Disc Golf Park Target. https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/targets/discgolfpark-target

Want a funner fact?

They've been using that model of basket all the way back to the first Disc golf Park concept, the first I saw in this country were around 2010 (although they have been made in a couple of different factories since then with minor changes at each) . They were used for so many tournaments including Disc Golf World Tour events.

Whilst not PDGA approved.

Interesting. Tell me more about how they differ from Discatcher and what makes them inferior. Looking at the specs (vs this https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/targets/discatcher-pro-new) the only really noticeable difference is the 5cm deeper basket.

The biggest thing is the single ring vs double ring holding the chains at the bottom. Single ring makes the chain unit a lot heavier and leads to some ridiculous spit outs (center chain just over the rim kicking back, lots of pro side spits) There is a fairer catching area in a US Discatcher, there is also a wider chain assembly in the US version.

What initially made me curious is at Quarry Park the owner bought in 18 European Discatchers (as they were known then) in around 2009/10. From the outset there were weird spitouts apart from on one basket on the course which everyone preferred. Turned out this was a US version basket (took a year or so for me to actually realise this and the course owner was unaware) At the time there was only one PDGA approved Discatcher model.

This move by Discmania is huge...

They will be one of the top manufactures in disc golf within 2yrs worldwide(if not much sooner)

*as long as they keep Eagle and Simon

Huge loss by Innova...they lost affiliation/sales with possibly the 2 most popular disc golfers/youtubers.
If Eagle or Simon start winning world championships...Discmania will sky rocket...quite possibly take the top spot in disc golf manufacturing/popularity...you can easily make this argument.

It is his sponsors product. Says so right on the bottom, I believe. I can't get on board with that argument if it was fine before. We could split hairs and say that Innova players can't throw something that says Discmania on it, but that's easily remedied.

Sort of like Rick throwing wiped Aviars when he moved to Prodigy?

Can you make an extremely understable approach disc called the Dezone?

I was buying understable putters and approach discs last night, so... semi-serious?

Call it the DMZ ;)

If we were playing only by Steady Ed's rules, Simon would be this generation's Climo.

In the FPO coverage, mention was made that Holly Finley was throwing an MD.

I was actually speaking about the specific ball that you play with. IIRC, and it's been a long time since I saw this so I could be wrong, you have to register the specific brand and type of ball you are playing with before a round on the pro tour. Whereas, by the USGA rules, you just have to play the same ball from tee to green on a hole unless you lose that ball during the course of a hole. Otherwise you are free to switch at any point.

Like I said, a sort of pointless aside.

That happened to a pro at the South Carolina tournament week before the US Open. Dude played 4 holes with a different ball than he had started with and took like an 8 or 10 stroke penalty. He promptly withdrew

The biggest thing is the single ring vs double ring holding the chains at the bottom. Single ring makes the chain unit a lot heavier and leads to some ridiculous spit outs (center chain just over the rim kicking back, lots of pro side spits) There is a fairer catching area in a US Discatcher, there is also a wider chain assembly in the US version.

What initially made me curious is at Quarry Park the owner bought in 18 European Discatchers (as they were known then) in around 2009/10. From the outset there were weird spitouts apart from on one basket on the course which everyone preferred. Turned out this was a US version basket (took a year or so for me to actually realise this and the course owner was unaware) At the time there was only one PDGA approved Discatcher model.

Thanks for explaining that to me. I have a course with the Disc Golf Park baskets and another with Discatchers. I couldn't figure out why it seemed like they had different catch areas, but now it makes sense, and I feel a bit less crazy now. I'll have to look at the differences you've mentioned now when I go out to the courses tomorrow.

I could be missing something here, but it seems to me that any move to be the primary disc manufacturer in Europe makes sense and would be incredibly profitable.

Providing the growing European disc golf population with local product (No heavy fees on ordering primarily from the USA) would amount to an almost monopoly on the market.

Every other person in disc golf wants to open a retail spot with the recent growth in the game. Imagine if you could corner the European market to yourself.

I am not into who owns what molds or anything along those lines, but seems to me that if you make ANY new disc, it will sell out as fast as you can produce it (Even more so if you have a Simon or Eagle pushing it).