• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Banger Vs Soft Magnet

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Pros and Cons that you have found. I have found the Soft Magnet grabs the chains better, but the Banger seem easier to control. What results have you found?

IMO they are very different discs. A Magnet is a good all-around disc which should be a good putter choice for most players. It can hold any sort of line you put on it, so it is a versatile approach disc. Because it is neutral stable, if you have a form flaw like off axis torque the Magnet will flip and be uncontrollable.

A Banger is very overstable for a putter It is good for hyzer approaches or shots into a strong wind, but is not nearly as versatile as Magnet. As a putter, it has very little glide so if you have treacherous pin placements where going long past the pin is very bad, the Banger is a good option. Most people that I know that use a Banger for putts have to combine it with another putter like a Magnet with more glide for long-range putts. Also, since it is so overstable it will mask a lot of form issues. Players who have problems with with off axis torque who are not really interested in practicing can use a Banger and it will not flip as much.

As for the Banger being easier to control, I can someone saying that. The Banger really is a one-trick pony and has one flight pattern. The Magnet is very versatile and can be used for a lot of shots, so if you are a new player still working on executing shots, it might seem like the Magnet is inconsistent. Actually, it is probably more operator error.

I'd keep working with the Magnet, but the discs are very different so you might have room for both in your bag.

No thanks

I tried using the soft magnet the last couple of weeks and I had 3 putts that hit chains and fell to the ground in front of the basket. My Aviar doesn't do that. I do like the soft magnet from 50' and out because it has less fade, but I'll stick to my 170g Aviar P&A.

the magnet is a straight flier to the end. grips the chains amazingly and has a nice grip. not too sticky not to stiff.

i have the esp banger also and i don't like it for 50'ish putts because it drops. it will stick the line and hit the bottom of the pole but it wont stay in the air and hit the chains. VERY good short range hyzer drives!!!!!!!!

overall the magnet is better because you can stick your landings on drives, it sticks to the line you put it on and is consistent

kc pro aviar is my favorite putter :)

star aviar first, wizard second, magnet third.

Soft Magnet - I feel this is a great putter. Hold a straight line for a decent amount of distance and it does grab the chains fairly well.

Soft Banger GT - I throw this one with a slight anhyzer and it holds a straight line pretty well. It is naturally overstable some, so you need to use it that way or toss with the slight ani. Also, how can you not love the thumb groove!

Aviar - I sometimes feel like I am the only one who just can't stand the avair. I never feel like it grabs the chains well and it feels like just ahard piece of plastic in my hands. Not really much for touch.

Wizzard and Magic are my favorite putters and I am really digging the Super Stupid Soft finish. Again, I throw these with the slightest bit of ani and they hold a straight line really well.

Crossfire from Discwing - I hardly hear anyone mention this disc. It flies straight for a long way and it grabs the chains really nicely. It is one of my favorite long distance putters to throw.

Crossfire from Discwing - I hardly hear anyone mention this disc. It flies straight for a long way and it grabs the chains really nicely. It is one of my favorite long distance putters to throw.
Just to clarify, the Crossfire is a Quest disc. Discwing supposedly has a putter called the Crosshair, but as far as I know it has never been released.

Just to clarify, the Crossfire is a Quest disc. Discwing supposedly has a putter called the Crosshair, but as far as I know it has never been released.

BAH! :eek: I hate when I do that.

Actually I meant the Crosshair. I have one and love it. I got it from here: Marshall Street just put in "discwing"

Oh and thanks for catching that Three Putt! :eek:

I have been looking at a Wizard, but the numbers says they are overstable

To be honest my friend, if you are going to try a Gateway putter, I really think you will like the Magic in Super Stupid Soft. So far, everyone who tries mine asks to keep it for a few days and ends up ordering one. I will get to play with it eventually! ;)

To be honest my friend, if you are going to try a Gateway putter, I really think you will like the Magic in Super Stupid Soft. So far, everyone who tries mine asks to keep it for a few days and ends up ordering one. I will get to play with it eventually! ;)

I have a Magic and I am tradeing it off. I don't like it at all.

The Crosshair is out? I must have bad info. When did you get one?

Well, I guess I got it a month ago. But I have seen it availble for like a few months. I noticed that all four of his discs were available then.

I think I will start a thread on this. I would like some opinions on his discs.

Anyone have any problems with the soft magnet and getting too warped over time? I feel like brand new if flew straight and could sink a few more putts than usual, but in time it just got so mangled and I feel like Im thowing a fluffy pancake.

I have a soft banger gt too, which im trying to get the hang of. It flies nice and straight, but like someone said before its like it always drops right at the basket and hits the pole.

I know this is a really old thread, but after experimenting with a lot of putters, my Soft Magnet seems to be becoming my putter of choice, and I came across this thread. I do have a Soft Banger-GT, too, and at times it flies really nice and straight, but it also seems less consistent for me. The Soft Magnet, thrown aggressively, straight, with a decent amount of spin, goes right at the chains better than any of the other 25 or so putters I have. Since I started bagging the SM, I have also begun to really like it as an approach disc. I can throw it fan grip, which is much more accurate and consistent for me, and get it close to the basket from 75 feet, maybe even 100. I can curve it on a hyzer or anhyzer. It just really seems like SM is checking all of the boxes for me as my go to putter! So excited it is beginning to appear that there will be a favorite putter winner!!! That said, what I really started out wanting to ask is, can anyone give me a Soft Magnet versus Magnet (not soft) comparison? I will probably get at least not soft one to compare myself, but looking for input. Thanks anyone that has input for me!

Manget has all the glide of a brick. Banger is the more versatile disc, though you need to beat it in a lot for anything like flippy flight. The Soft Magnet plastic is undeniably great at gripping the chains - if you can get it there. The Jawbreaker Banger is almost as good. Soft too, if you can still find them anywhere.

Latest posts