• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Flick

I picked up a Z Flick a while back to break in as a forehand disc. It isn't there yet, but it is probably the best over head disc I have ever had my hands on. Remember that Flicks are a really narrow profile specifically for throwing forehand and as such the design that makes it overstable isn't fool proof. Predators have all the traditional designs for overstability thus making them more fool proof but with a higher profile, much more difficult to get a good forehand shot with.

To the OP. I suggest playing with the angles on this disc, BH, FH, and overhead. I bought it as a novelty, played with it as such, and now I love it. 150 ESP. When it was new, you could throw it FH almost straight up and down (15 or 20 degrees right of straight up), and it would fly up high, fight it's way out and finish right. Experiment with it, the stability of it allows different shots than you're (I was) used to.

Also, since it is so thin but with such a thich rim, light branches dare not stand in your way. Very usefull for getting out of trouble.

I think that next to my putter, I use my Flick more than any other single disc. It's what I almost always go to when I'm deep in the woods and on overhand shots. And, I throw it almost any time I want a hard fade (unless it's a short shot).

Iswitched from the Flick to a Blitz. It has more room to grip and still very flat.

While I have looked at a Blitz before, I never thought of it to replace the Flick. Inst it a lot slower?

I have a Blitz also and just can't get the feel for it. The Blitz is relatively fast, but I just can't get the feel for it.

anybody wanna trade for a Blitz?

I just wanted to revisit this and say... I finally got the Flicks Number, I'm starting to really like that disc! I just had to know what it's going to do. I'll admit, that disc is taking some getting used to, but man mine will make a sharp left turn and just sail! And I threw it Flat! Still have some more practicing to do with it, but I know how she flies now! I wrote it off too soon! The Flick is now back in my bag!

Given that it's stability is speed dependent, even the 150 makes an outstanding wind disc! It far outflew all my other, heavier "wind" discs in a 20 +MPH headwind the other day, with a dead straight flight. I was stunned!

Yeah, I had a coastal wind blowing at me, and the hole is a dog leg left. I think the wind probably helped it, but it went beautifully around the third tree to the right of that cluster, hung a left and parked under the basket for a nice Deuce. Its a 285ft hole. It was a happy day!! ...till it hit me I was by myself! LOL

I've been telling them they need to make that a Mando hole. you can't see it, but that Tree has a branch that has snapped, but not fallen. It looks, and acts, like a claw that will grab your disc.

26333499.jpg

East Bay Park, Georgetown, SC

I use my Flick for windy occassions and for forehand shots, it is very overstable.

I just wanted to revisit this and say... I finally got the Flicks Number, I'm starting to really like that disc! I just had to know what it's going to do.

Congrats buddy! A couple months ago I got enough snap to hit flight velocity with a 167 Flick, it's the cat's ass for FH. Anyone around here that throws FH has at least one Flick in the bag.

Can anyone compare the Stability of the Flick compared to the Star Xcal for me? I use my Xcalibur for 90% of my forehand shots and love it, the stability is perfect. RHBH it's pretty much good for a Spike Hyzer or a cutting Hyzer out to about 300 foot. I was eyeing a 174 Z Flick today... almost bought it. I still might, but I'm curious if it is more or less Stable than the Xcal.

At that distance, it likely is still the biggest meathook you could get I would think.

So many discs, not enough time, or space in my bag. I have a 150 Flick that I love however replaced it with a 150 firebird as it is easier for me to throw a thumber with the smaller rim of a firebird. However the firebird is nowhere near as fast as a flick so I still miss it sometimes!

Can anyone compare the Stability of the Flick compared to the Star Xcal for me? I use my Xcalibur for 90% of my forehand shots and love it, the stability is perfect. RHBH it's pretty much good for a Spike Hyzer or a cutting Hyzer out to about 300 foot. I was eyeing a 174 Z Flick today... almost bought it. I still might, but I'm curious if it is more or less Stable than the Xcal.

The Flick is more overstable than the Excal and it's slower too. I use both for RHFH and tomahawks.

Yeah this disc looks cool with it's super flat top, but way overstable for me and I think many other players would agree. In the right hands though it could be a decent driver.

There can be a lot of variation in stability when it comes to this mold. I have one that is a hawgzilla and should be rated a 3 on the Discraft scale while my brother had one that was more like <2. It does seem that most of the heavier weight Flicks tend to be piggish though. Another thing to keep in mind is the shallow depth of the rim. It took a little time to get used to this--there were a number of slip-outs when I first started throwing one. I actually took it out of the bag and replaced it with a flat, S Firebird. The Firebird can do most of what the Flick did and the rim just feels better to me.

If indeed it is a Flick, not something misstamped I can't imagine there is anything wrong with the disc. Something in your technique is amiss. I don't have a powehouse arm either but easily get it over 250 ft. LHFH. Its one of the most predictable driver's I throw. I just wish they made it in ESP or FLX plastic so I could get more grip in the snow. But with the temps supposed to be near 60 this weekend, I'll be breaking it back out.

Not sure about FLX plastic, but the Flick is most def made in the ESP plastic. I have not thrown one, cause I prefer elite Z 150 class

The Flick is also the best skipping disc in my bag by far. I use it to get out of trouble, as well as hard skips FH or BH. It also makes a great TH or thumber disc. The versitility of the Flick is outstanding! I have owned one for at least 5 yrs now, and I have one ace disc as well. One of my favorite and most predictable discs I own.