• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Heat Plastic

RavenX

Currently I am throwing a Discraft Heat in ZFLX plastic. I am looking to buy a 2nd one and was thinking about trying another plastic. Looking for something that will be potential more stable than the one I have now. What is a good recommendation or should I stick with another ZFLX?

By "more stable" I'm guessing you mean less turn and more fade. If so, I doubt you will find anything better than Z FLX. The Z FLX I have has way fade than any Z or Big Z I have thrown.

If you mean straighter by "more stable" either Z or Big Z will be better.

Z is what you seek.

I hate to say it, but Z FLX is the most (over) stable variety you'll find for the Heat.

You get one in regular Z and it'll be noticeably flippier.

You might have to move up to a slightly beefier mold. Maybe something like an Undertaker...

Esp has been pretty stable from my findings. Imo it's esp, z and then way less stable big z and then x and pro d.

I hate to say it, but Z FLX is the most (over) stable variety you'll find for the Heat.

You get one in regular Z and it'll be noticeably flippier.

I've heard that Z FLX is supposed to be really overstable but all the regular Z I have seems more stable than FLX. My FLX Undertaker is the flippiest of the 5 plastics I have. Maybe it varies. My Z heat is pretty flippy but it's the only one I have, so I don't have anything yo compare it to.

I agree about jumping up to a different mold as well. The Mantis is an excellent mold.

I've heard that Z FLX is supposed to be really overstable but all the regular Z I have seems more stable than FLX. My FLX Undertaker is the flippiest of the 5 plastics I have. Maybe it varies. My Z heat is pretty flippy but it's the only one I have, so I don't have anything yo compare it to.

I agree about jumping up to a different mold as well. The Mantis is an excellent mold.

The Heat I threw was Z FLX 165g. I won't say it was beefy, but it wasn't really flippy either. I could mash it into the ground if I wanted, but the disc will hold a floaty line out to 400' if you put enough height on it.

Other molds like Surges or Nukes are BRUTALLY overstable in Z FLX. Super glideless too. I won't say the same about the Heat. I think it flies great in that plastic.

All my Z heats have more stability than the one ZFLX I have. My wife's X heats are the most over stable at first but quickly losing stability.

Is there any version of this disc that doesn't look like an inverted cereal bowl?

Is there any version of this disc that doesn't look like an inverted cereal bowl?
Wait, we aren't supposed to be eating cereal out of our inverted golf discs? :confused:

*starts unloading stack of Wizards in the kitchen cabinet*

Heats are supposed to be domey. That's what gives them that floaty, straight flight. Take away the dome and you lose the glide.

Very good finesse disc for when you don't want much, if any, late fade.

I have an old Z that's flat. I picked up a big Z mantis last fall I use as the top to a bird bath now though.

I don't know. I go back and forth with my zflx heat. I love it for what it is, but it's so different than all of my other heats (Z and Big Z).
I don't know if I have a weird unicorn of a heat or what, because it's a disc that flies a lot more like a new thrasher: has a good amount of turn like all heats, but with a decent fade (unlike any of my other heats)
My beat-in z and big z heats fly like: 9/6/-3.5/0
My beat-in zflx heat flies like: 9/6/-2/2 It's a totally different disc and flies more like a glidier undertaker. It's cool for what it is, but the outlier in the mold. I only have one, so I can't compare it to any others.

I would love a disc that flew 9/6/-2/2.

Not sure I'd want it in the ZFLX plastic though. I like it in the Zone but not sure I'd want a driver that soft and squishy.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Titanium plastic. It is easily the most stable in my experience. It just keeps going straight and never really turns fully.

I Have HEAT in all the plastics and my two ZFLX are the "most fading" HEATs i have. . .but they ar SO soft that the flightplate is kind of uneven. . and so soft that putting the tumb on the flightplate is a no no

My Ti is on the stable side of my HEATs . . to me ,the flatter the Ti is the more stable it is