• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft needs to step their game back up'

I like the tooling. I always put my hand on it while I throw.

I never really noticed it one way or the other. I appreciate that it's there for easy ID'ing of discs, but it's really not that big a deal.

This thread is as stupid and pointless in 2015 as it was in 2014. I'm glad it's creator dug it out of it's grave so that we could bask in it's stupidity and his misguided agenda again. Aim, you need to let it go man. You're almost as bad for MVP as In4D used to be. You may put their discs in some people's hands, but you also turn plenty of people off with your relentless bashing of other companies and willingness to ignore MVP's occasional mis-steps. A more balanced approach would give you more credibility.

I notice the tooling and prefer it...same with all the aforementioned reasons really...identification is a big deal. My question is, how does this relate to the rules? When stamps, etc. get worn off how do you prove to your cardmates that its PDGA approved? Example: I have an old DX XD in which you can't make out what it is anymore...Is the innovadiscs raised text on the bottom flightplate enough to prove something at least?

I notice the tooling and prefer it...same with all the aforementioned reasons really...identification is a big deal. My question is, how does this relate to the rules? When stamps, etc. get worn off how do you prove to your cardmates that its PDGA approved? Example: I have an old DX XD in which you can't make out what it is anymore...Is the innovadiscs raised text on the bottom flightplate enough to prove something at least?

Why would it matter, unless the thing is visibly broken up, or you try to use a Turbo Putt, Wheel, or Ninja what basis or reason would anyone have to question whether your discs are legal, minus the whole 150 class nonsense at the Japan Open?

Has anyone mentioned that Discraft has drastically improved on their stamping size and quality? They are now graphic stamping larger and just as good as Innova if not better. The rim or under flight plate marking/tooling also paved the way for the larger graphic stamps since before the mold name was on top of the disc. This was an annoyance for our club as our artwork was always accompanied by the disc name, unless it was a D disc. Coupled with the lower minimums on custom orders I would say that Discraft HAS stepped up their game.

When it comes to tourney packages you are on to something.
Stamping:
The larger field size has been a good thing.
Clarity of stamping:
Still lags below INv in fine detail. We often send in near or same imaging to both for season runs of discs and the fine detail and edge control still comes out better from INv. However, the larger field size is appreciated. The overal stamp control has been on an improving track.
If I designing a stamp for DC, I simplify some things, or at least come to be more expecting of some blown out areas.

As I understand it, for larger orders INv is still a better overall swag package, but DC holds advantages for the smaller event, lower mold minimums, etc. Each to their own strengths. Good to have event options to cater to different scopes.

When it comes to tourney packages you are on to something.
Stamping:
The larger field size has been a good thing.
Clarity of stamping:
Still lags below INv in fine detail. We often send in near or same imaging to both for season runs of discs and the fine detail and edge control still comes out better from INv. However, the larger field size is appreciated. The overal stamp control has been on an improving track.
If I designing a stamp for DC, I simplify some things, or at least come to be more expecting of some blown out areas.

As I understand it, for larger orders INv is still a better overall swag package, but DC holds advantages for the smaller event, lower mold minimums, etc. Each to their own strengths. Good to have event options to cater to different scopes.

Hmm. Good feedback, good to know, etc. Have you mentioned to DC this difference? I wonder if they know.

Don't mean to be the beat the "rim tooling" dead horse guy but I do have question if any of you Discraft guys can answer it.

I went to a PIAS today and pawed all the Discraft discs and some have tooling ID's and other don't. Some just have the discraft logo and the disc name and that seems cool for the identity purposes, but both my Predator and Drone have The Discraft logo, the disc ID, address and patent info all along the inner rim which leaves only a small portion of the rim blank.

So what's the deal? Are all discs in the future going to have it or not, and if so, what? I have no idea how old the stock I was pawing through was, so were the blank discs new or old?

Interesting. You quote a comment I made over a year ago and try to be clever by pronouncing it a "fail". Funny thing is, that comment was made based on some inside information directly from Discraft, so perhaps your cleverness, or lack thereof, is the real "fail" here.

I'm sorry, I was just haveing a little fun with it. I know Discraft is producing Zlite, but I've yet to see anyone in Japan use a single one of their discs. It would be much more clever if they (Discraft) made Zlite discs that people actually want to throw, mids specially. How are you going to come out with a new line of plastic without releasing it in your best and most popular molds, assuming Asia is actually the focus? Around here, Hero/Innova/Discmania have astrangle hold on the market. They are the only brand(s) that venders (JPDGA) are selling at most events.

Is Japan the only country that composes Asia? It may be the one with the longest disc history but is kinda an island when it comes to all things "asian"

I am not claiming discraft is selling much in Asia, just playing devils advocate a little.

The Dosses did go to Omsk, Russia to promote disc golf, so who knows. Discraft holds a lone ace race in South Korea, but I'm not really sure if requires a lot of focus. If they're not in South Korea and they still suck at promoting their light weight brand, what are they doing in Asia?

People are just starting to realize that Innova isn't the only choice for lightweight plastic over here. Trilogy, MVP, and Vibram are all klling it here despite Innova's dominance. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Discraft is focused on Asia.

It seems as if Yikun could easily make an impact in Japan if they could make 150 class. Do you ever see their discs?

The Dosses did go to Omsk, Russia to promote disc golf, so who knows. Discraft holds a lone ace race in South Korea, but I'm not really sure if requires a lot of focus. If they're not in South Korea and they still suck at promoting their light weight brand, what are they doing in Asia?

People are just starting to realize that Innova isn't the only choice for lightweight plastic over here. Trilogy, MVP, and Vibram are all klling it here despite Innova's dominance. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Discraft is focused on Asia.

All I can really say to elaborate on my initial comment is that I was at the local shop and the guy was saying that they were having a hard time getting Magnets and soft Magnets from Discraft. He said that Discraft had recently expanded into the Asian market and that they were back ordered on a lot of popular molds. The owner knows Jim Kenner pretty well, so I doubt that he would just make that up.

You are focusing on the 150 class, but that wasn't what I was referring to. And yes, I am aware of the Japanese weight requirements.

Oh well, I guess I'm in the "I hate the rim tooling" minority then. Will have to keep my eye out for Predators without it and stock up.

I have an irrational hatred of the rim tooling. I can't stand it and I won't throw Disccraft because of it.

Do other Asian countries have national weight requirements as well? or is there something else that makes lightweight plastic more desirable?

I think age has something to do with it. There are more old people in Japan that wear diapers than babies. There are also much more old players than young players, just check the event results on the PDGA website. They treat dg more as a retirement sport than anything else, like crochet, horseshoes, or cornhole. Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea are main ones. I know the President of the KPDGA (South Korea) he said the other two were pressuring him to join the dark side when he started up, he said no way Jose.

All I can really say to elaborate on my initial comment is that I was at the local shop and the guy was saying that they were having a hard time getting Magnets and soft Magnets from Discraft. He said that Discraft had recently expanded into the Asian market and that they were back ordered on a lot of popular molds. The owner knows Jim Kenner pretty well, so I doubt that he would just make that up.

You are focusing on the 150 class, but that wasn't what I was referring to. And yes, I am aware of the Japanese weight requirements.

I'm focusing 150 open class because that is most of Asia. As far as I know, South Korea is the only disc golf association that promotes "heavy" weights in Asia. I could be wrong though.

A few years ago the South Korean disc golf scene split into two factions, the KDF (Korean Disc Fderation)and the KPDGA (Korean Disc Golf Association). Both (if the KDF is even around anymore) heavily rely on Government subsidies where money ebbs and flows in for school gym classes and other children's events.

There needs to be playable courses before that would make them any money though, otherwise one gym class bulk purchase with last a long time. The KDF actually makes their own baskets and discs that are cheap knock offs of Innova discs and baskets, count them out.

I'm sure if I ask around I'll find out.

Interesting insight from a popular retailer around here here re: DC stock ... And some of you guys think im crazy with these threads! I keep telling you im either onto something or on something... :p
Thanks for asking. Demand for Discraft has been dropping off over the past couple years. MVP, the Trilogy brands, and Innova pump out new discs at an alarming rate so if a model isn't earning($$$) its keep it has to go. A lot of the Discraft stock here has been paired down. I could stand to look at when I need to restock the models we'll be maintaining though. The Zone is a great one and I always seem to have trouble timing my order with Discraft's availability. They were out when I ordered the Z FLX discs.

I have had no requests for the Roach and I sold only a couple Surges and XL's in 2015 so those had to go. Discraft makes some excellent models and I personally love their plastic but it's just not very popular anymore.

I worry about Discraft. I do not see them doing any marketing outside of a couple big tournaments and I do not think they understand how much market share they are losing. It's virtually impossible for them to really know that though since there is no manufacturer association all the MFG's are reporting sales numbers to. I'm sure Discraft sold more in 2015 than in 2014 but the increase has to be at a much slower pace than everyone else.

Id love to hear from any others invovled on the retail side.

Latest posts