• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft overstable mids

Glendor

I want an overstable mid and was looking at the Wasp Hornet and Drone from Discraft. Which one is the best. i guess it would be up to your opinion but the drone I only see in D-line and esp flex and I am not sure about flex plastic. Is the Wasp overstable enough to withstand headwinds?

what kind of head winds

the ESP FLX Drone is allegedly a very good disc...SUPER overstable
they do make CFR Z Drones
and there are Cryztal Flx Drones available

the WASP is a good choice but really ROC stability

the Hornet is faster

you could also consider the Z or ESP Zone which although technically a "putter" is faster and can get out to the same distances as say a Gator

and is very overstable

Glendor

If you opt for the Drone I would note that it has like ZERO glide. I can honestly toss my zone farther and get the same effect, an overstable mid like toss.

I wasn't a fan of the Hornet. I think for a nice stable midrange the Wasp is great, but as ManU said, it's about as stable as a Roc.

The Drone is great. I'm not a fan of FLX plastic because of how soft it is, but I can tolerate FLX Drones. They are pretty solid discs so even in FLX plastic they don't feel all floppy in the hand.

It's hard to pick a "best" it all depends on what you want them for. The Hornet for me flies a lot like a new Roc. Fairly straight with a pretty solid fade. The Drone is crazy overstable. It's one of my favorite discs, very reliable for hard turns.

The FLX Drones are less flexible than some of the other FLX molds. To me, the FLX Drone feels more like regular ESP plastic.

of the Drones the ESP is probably the best, flatter, handles winds better than the Z
but it doesn't want to go very far and then dumps over really hard

the Hornet is more of a tweener type disc, far mid, short fairway

"Best" is really subjective Glendor. All 3 can handle a headwind but the Drone is definitely the most overstable of the Discraft mids. It will fly shorter distances for you than the other 2 as it fights harder to reach the ground(that is what overstable discs do). The key will be which feels better in your hand and the type of shots you plan on using it for.

The headwinds I am up against are commonly 15-20 mph. Some day though there is absolutely no wind at all so everyday I play it is a little different.

EDIT: I want it for headwinds and hyzers for the most part. I use a buzz for anything else.

Glendor

If you opt for the Drone I would note that it has like ZERO glide. I can honestly toss my zone farther and get the same effect, an overstable mid like toss.

im opposite ...
i cant throw a zone for s*** - No flight just dive bomb ...
- But my drone will flip flat fly straight and then finish hard ..

Yep . Everyones form is different so its w.e works for you ..

IMO i think the zone is more stable .. ( for my form ) - took it out of my bag ..
Also the zone is less effected by wind because of its small diameter

at 2:24 i throw my Drone .. ( Z Drones )

Last edited:
I correct myself .. i didnt mean to say diameter .. i ment to say because it has a shallower dish .. or lower profile .. so less wind gets underneath it ... causeing it to fight the wind better .. & less glide

My god that is a wooded course. I does look like it went pretty straight though I cant tell what it did at the end really. Thanks for the video.

Nice tosses BIgNik

I would agree with you on the Zone, i think its a more stable disc as well. You and I feature a totally different style of game so it would harder for us to compare discs.

I really like the Wasp. I currently have two flat Z's, one well broken in, and the other brand new. Both handle wind well. The broken in one has the flight of something like a TeeBird, very straight, maybe a touch of high speed turn, and realiable fade at the end. The new one is still very HSS, and stronger fade at the end. I've tried several Rocs and wanted to like them, but just couldn't do it, the Wasp seems more OS than any Rocs I tried. The Wasp has good glide, and seems to stick pretty well to where it lands for me.

An MVP Vector flies more Roc like to me or as I would put it, it flies like a very well broken in/seasoned Wasp, that's why the Vector has kind of found it's way back to my bag.

A well broken in Wasp and ESP Zone should fit in a person's lineup nicely. I have an ESP Zone and a Z Hornet, but haven't really felt the need for either of them lately.

Last edited:
The headwinds I am up against are commonly 15-20 mph. Some day though there is absolutely no wind at all so everyday I play it is a little different.

EDIT: I want it for headwinds and hyzers for the most part. I use a buzz for anything else.

Wasp

/thread

I would suggest the z drone, they are very reliable and take on a head wind all day long. Great for hyzer upshots or short drives. I have 1 in the bag and wont be taking it out anytime soon.

They are super stable out of the box, it takes a small bit of working in get them usable 100% of the time, but it shouldnt take to long.

Get a DRONE send it to the chains (home). They fight threw trees bushes they want the goal.

Latest posts