• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft plastic durability

raydancer

A few months ago some friends took me out to play disc golf, I had a great time, and soon after I bought several Discraft Pro D discs to get started (they're cheap, right?). I've been playing weekly...and my discs are already starting to look pretty wrecked. They still seem to throw fine, but I realize now that I probably should have invested in more durable plastics.

So, my question is this: how have your non-Pro D discs held up? Should I only focus on Elite Z, ESP, and FLX when I start replacing my Pro D's? How do those compare to each other as far as durability goes? Is Elite X closer to Pro D or closer to Elite Z when it comes to durability?

My only experience with another plastic is with my ESP Nuke (I know, I know...not a good beginner disc...it was an impulse buy and I actually kinda like it). I've hit trees with it pretty hard and it only gets a bit scratched on the rim and some bark markings, but no gouges or deformations.

I went the same way with the pro-d discs. For the money they are great. Then I purchased an elite-x wildcat and use it a lot. It really seems to take a beating better than the pro-d. I really dont know much about the different types of plastics but I did learn a little about the elite-x over the pro-d. Hope this helps and take it for what it is worth. Good luck and God Bless!

Officially the durability should be Z -> ESP -> X -> D
and I find that to be very true. The one that does not fit is FLX. I would almost put it up with Z in durability from impacts because it doesn't seem to mark up at all, but I have not owned it long enough to say if that is true with time.

I had the same experience with Pro D. The first round I played with my XL, I threw it directly into a rock driving from the 18th Tee Pad and now it is forever lopsided. My other discs have fared much better.

...my discs are already starting to look pretty wrecked.
Yup; Discraft Pro D can be one of the least durable plastics on the market. But this is good because certain discs fly much better as they age. Hopefully you have some of these. You will learn that ugly is good.
I probably should have invested in more durable plastics.
Depends on your priorities.
So, my question is this: how have your non-Pro D discs held up?
Fabulously. Z is the most durable. Then ESP, then X, then D. FLX is kinda funny and hard to place.
...my ESP Nuke (I know, I know...not a good beginner disc...
Depends on how far you throw and what your priorities are.
I've hit trees with it pretty hard and it only gets a bit scratched on the rim and some bark markings, but no gouges or deformations.
That is common for the premium plastics.

Who cares how they look if they still throw fine?

That's why I said they "seem to throw fine". I guess I want the security in knowing that my bad form is causing bad throws and not a bad disc. As a beginner, it's hard to tell the difference. Plus, it's an excuse to buy more plastic :D

That's why I said they "seem to throw fine". I guess I want the security in knowing that my bad form is causing bad throws and not a bad disc. As a beginner, it's hard to tell the difference. Plus, it's an excuse to buy more plastic :D
It really depends on the mold. Many times a beat up, cheap plastic disc will be better for learning form and fly better than a shiny new disc in high end plastic.

How much do you play? I play about a round a week, 8 months out of the year and my DX and D type plastic discs take seasons, not rounds to break in.

I used to think the same thing. Bought DX, they took a few hits, started to look beat up, dents, chuncks missing, so I started throwing better plastic. Roc, Buzzz, Wasp, Comet, Coyote, you name it.

After trying alot of different molds and plastics, I'm back to DX for certain molds. Rocs and Gazelles (I'm not as familiar with Pro D as my Discraft molds were all Z and ESP) can actually get better as they "bang up" losing fade and increasing glide.

Now I take brand new DX discs and forehand them into my basement floor about 20 times and slide them around to take the edge off of the bead. Carrying 3 or 4 discs in new, wearing, worn, and beat conditions gives nice variations of the basic flight of that molds. It can depend on the particular mold, though. Not everything beats into something better.

The best advice I can give is to mix it up. Grab some Z for your goto disc in the woods (mine is a Buzzz). Otherwise, stick with D (or DX).

Cause sooner or later you'll turn and burn your $18 Goldline Vision 65 degrees offline into a lake and it'll change your priorities....:wall:

I've gone back to D since I am more likely to lose a disc than wear it out. For example, I have a Pro-D Buzzz that has been run over by a truck; while more understable, it still flies great.

My bet is that you will still need to learn for yourself ;)

Enjoy

I'm sure it will take me a while to figure out when a disc is beat in. I slid my Pro D Avenger SS down a paved road last night...again...not for the sake of beating it in, but because I throw poorly (though I was happy with its distance). I don't intend to buy new plastic and get rid of my Pro D. I also don't intend to go out and buy a bunch of discs as soon as I get the chance. I just want to be prepared next time I'm around a disc store. Walking into Disc Golf Center without a plan is not a good idea.

So, let me narrow down the information I'm looking for. If you own a non-Pro D Discraft disc, how has it been affected by wear? If you slam an Elite X into a tree will it take a chunk out of it? How about a Z? Does FLX scratch up differently than a plain ESP, or are they nearly identical with how they wear? Have you owned these plastics for a long time? How do they hold up with regular use year after year? On a scale of 1 to 10, how durable would you rate each plastic? With 1 being "breaks like glass" and 10 being "indestructible"?

I throw mostly premium plastic. One of my "flip" discs though is a beat to hell eliteX wildcat that I found already seasoned. Beat up discs like that are great for finesse and anhyzers (right turning shots if you throw right hand backhand). I throw mostly discraft and love FLX , but have a lot more Z plastic. Both hold up great, with Z holding up better. Sometimes though, I don't want them to hold up as well, I'm trying to beat up my domey esp force currently, it's taking a lot of hyzer spikes and tomahawks and rollers :/

Good to see you have a plan though, Elite X is great, and if you want to go premium plastic as a new player then something slower would be a great choice. Discraft wise would be a wildcat in Z plastic for your farthest disc, any higher would just be too much disc. I can still put the wildcat out to the length of my surges. AvengerSS's maybe but I believe they are a little faster. Great slow(er) discs still used and loved by lots is the XL, XS, Xpress, and the reaper. If you can move up to a predator go for it, but the reaper would be a slower overstable disc.

I absolutely love my brand new ESP FLX XL, and would recommend it to anyone. I've had an XL in the past but never appreciated it because I sucked hardcore :D

Pro D has a great feel but it does lack durability. Z and ESP OTOH last basically forever. X is somewhere in the middle. I would say stick with the disc's you have if you are happy with them, judging on an individual basis. If you want to upgrade go for it, but keep the old disc around too. If you ever have to throw a shot that might cost you a disc they are great for that. My bag, and most of the people I play with, are about half and half regular vs. premium plastic. My control disc's are preimum as I throw those between trees while most everything else is D/DX/Pro/X because it gets better glide and distance.

The best advice I can give is to mix it up. Grab some Z for your goto disc in the woods (mine is a Buzzz). Otherwise, stick with D (or DX).

In my limited experience Z/ESP/Chamption/Star plastic can often yield to some unforgiving bounces off tree where as Pro D/DX will usually stay put. I guess the secret is not hitting trees in the first place

sa13

just hit a tree with a 2 week old esp nuke and took a huge chunk of it out!!i was surprised,maybe a defect but heres a tip use it for 2 things!!SHOE GOO!!!1st use shoe repair of course 2nd disc repair took this stuff and repaired disc!!simply apply,shape,sand or trim...worked 4 me.

Z is the most durable, esp is almost as durable as Z, but has better grip, elite x is super grippy, but is not the most durable, and pro d is the least durable

You when it comes to plastic, there is definately a duribility factor as well as a feel factor. There are some people that just do not like Z or Champion (Innova Equivalent) plastic. Each plastic will also have its own unique tendencies. It seems that people can get cheaper plastics to fly further than the more durable plastics. Higher quality plastics tend to be a bit more overstable. Discraft is good about adjusting numbers based on the effects of plastic as you will note that some molds in different plastics are given different ratings. Innova does not do this. All of that to say, throw the molds you like in the plastics that feel best. Know what plastics tend to do over time and how the wear and go from there. You may decide that you like buying on Pro D or DX disc every month because it just feels and fits right.

I go with a lot of premium plastic because my home course is Richmond Hill. If you've never played it hitting a tree is something that happens very frequently, and I've seen quite a bit of DX totally mangled. All my premium plastic is doing great, maybe my FLX Buzzz is breaking in a little but I throw that for over half my shots and have had it for almost a year. And as it's breaking in it's only getting straighter so I really don't mind.

I'm sure it will take me a while to figure out when a disc is beat in. I slid my Pro D Avenger SS down a paved road last night...again...not for the sake of beating it in, but because I throw poorly (though I was happy with its distance). I don't intend to buy new plastic and get rid of my Pro D. I also don't intend to go out and buy a bunch of discs as soon as I get the chance. I just want to be prepared next time I'm around a disc store. Walking into Disc Golf Center without a plan is not a good idea.

So, let me narrow down the information I'm looking for. If you own a non-Pro D Discraft disc, how has it been affected by wear? If you slam an Elite X into a tree will it take a chunk out of it? How about a Z? Does FLX scratch up differently than a plain ESP, or are they nearly identical with how they wear? Have you owned these plastics for a long time? How do they hold up with regular use year after year? On a scale of 1 to 10, how durable would you rate each plastic? With 1 being "breaks like glass" and 10 being "indestructible"?

The reason you're not seeing specific answers is because...well there's just so many variables.

Ideally premium plastic lasts longer. In reality it depends on the particular mold you're throwing. The flight patterns are also slightly different (check discraft's website - a Pro D Buzzz has a stability rating of 0, all other Buzzz molds are .5).

Basically, everything will last longer than Pro D or DX. I'd say go by feel, if you want to buy a new disc hold the different plastics in your hand and see if that FLX Buzzz feels better to you than the Elite Z.

Secondly, the rule of thumb is the premium grades of the same mold start out more overstable but will hold that "sweet spot" longer because they take longer to beat in and thus longer to beat to ****. Again, this is rule of thumb not an exact science (yet).

Hope this helps.