• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Titanium (now with pics)

All things (shape, size, weight) being equal there's no difference in the flight between Z and Ti. After those things the only thing that really could affect flight would be weight distribution (I'm assuming Discraft's blends are at least somewhat homogeneous and the density of the plastic doesn't vary across the disc significantly, so that's out) and to an extent surface texture. There might be some microscopic difference between Ti and Z surface textures, but they're so small I really doubt it'd affect the flight in any way.

JR said:
Actually Ti has raised lettering on top of the flight plate so things aren't perfectly equal ever.

Its often very hot and humid in Memphis and I sweat a lot. My pre-shot routine includes drying/cleaning my discs and hands with a microfiber towel. I grip the wasp with my thumb/palm over the raised lettering. I haven't done any testing to see if I can tell the difference reducing slips but I figure it can't hurt.

It feels better for me but constantly wiping the fingers with a towel soaks skin oils drying up the skin. That leads to a slicker grip so i recommend touching the towel with the off hand alone.

JR said:
It feels better for me but constantly wiping the fingers with a towel soaks skin oils drying up the skin. That leads to a slicker grip so i recommend touching the towel with the off hand alone.

I don't really have a problem with dry skin, just big time sweat. In the summer, I carried three golf towels. One for my face, one to get the first drenching of sweat off my hands and forearms, and the microfiber one to clean the disc and soak up any remaining moisture between my fingers. It takes a few seconds but my hands are dry for a minute on the worst days. Stupid slips with my Ion got me started on this routine, now my OCD make the process necessary :roll:

I suspect that the same routine is needed with the Ti because it is hard, stiff and slick too. Tackier discs won't be as nasty with slips when you're sweaty.

Funny, I suffer from very dry and slippery hands and throw almost all premium, I even putt with Anodes and IONs. The only baseline discs in my bag are a beat old JOKERi and two D-MD2s, one for understable and one getting there slowly. =)

jubuttib said:
All things (shape, size, weight) being equal there's no difference in the flight between Z and Ti. After those things the only thing that really could affect flight would be weight distribution (I'm assuming Discraft's blends are at least somewhat homogeneous and the density of the plastic doesn't vary across the disc significantly, so that's out) and to an extent surface texture. There might be some microscopic difference between Ti and Z surface textures, but they're so small I really doubt it'd affect the flight in any way.

To nitpick with your point slightly, you seem to be suggesting that any material with the same given density should make a disc with the same shape, size and weight fly identically. My experiences obviously differ from yours with regards to at a minimum the Ti Buzzz. I intentionally got flat and heavy Ti Buzzzes, as those are qualities that have led me to select Buzzzes in other plastics, with some regularity as to my expectations. Mine, along with those of others I have talked to (not a mammoth sample, but let's say 15 other golfers, ranging in skill from Rec to 1000 rated Open players), are less stable. There are certainly a number of factors that may account for this, but I am not just making this up. In general, most of the Ti plastic discs seem to be more overstable than the other plastics. The Ti Forces are the only mold that seems to be shaped differently, from what I have seen.

NoMoreTinCup said:
jubuttib said:

To nitpick with your point slightly, you seem to be suggesting that any material with the same given density should make a disc with the same shape, size and weight fly identically. My experiences obviously differ from yours with regards to at a minimum the Ti Buzzz. I intentionally got flat and heavy Ti Buzzzes, as those are qualities that have led me to select Buzzzes in other plastics, with some regularity as to my expectations. Mine, along with those of others I have talked to (not a mammoth sample, but let's say 15 other golfers, ranging in skill from Rec to 1000 rated Open players), are less stable. There are certainly a number of factors that may account for this, but I am not just making this up. In general, most of the Ti plastic discs seem to be more overstable than the other plastics. The Ti Forces are the only mold that seems to be shaped differently, from what I have seen.

To me it looks he's just saying that GIVEN the shape, size and weight correlate, there's no difference between Z and Ti flight wise.

Discs fly how they fly because of three things: Their basic physical properties (weight and distribution of said weight), aerodynamic properties (shape, size, texture) and how they're thrown. If you have two discs that are made from different plastics but weigh exactly as much and have a consistent density throughout, and are exactly the same shape (note that the differences we're talking about can be really really small, even if you got flat Ti and Z Buzzzes there's no guarantee they're the exact same shape), and are thrown exactly the same, barring any surface texture differences affecting things (think golf balls) they will fly the same. There's no magical property that a plastic can have that will overcome physics. If the discs really are identical in every way except exact plastic blend, they will fly the same. If Ti and Z Buzzzes fly differently then either the shape or weight is different (shape is always different, due to the Ti "stamp") or you're throwing them differently.

Even flat topped Ti Buzzzes vary in wing concavity and shoulder height in the few discs i saw at the shop when i bought mine.

Ace #4 yesterday at Bud Hill/ hole #14 Pop's Pond

Ti Wasp, big hyzer started 50+ feet out to the right, well over the pond... BOOM!

spond.jpg

I have been wanting to replace my fuse which is horribly beat in to the point of useless under 8000' of elevation. So there was a disc dealer at my local course today and asked for a recommendation since they didn't have any mystics yet. He told me the to buzz would have a little flip when thrown with power.

I bought an orange 177g. Man was he wrong... I gave it ten or so drives and it flies a good 340' but no turn whatsoever and quite a fade more than my opto pain. I was a little disappointed but only due to my needs. I'll keep it in my bag for headwind shots that my axis can't handle. Durability seems great. Drilled a tree quite hard on two throws am hardly a scuff in the plastic.