• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Z Venom

StevieWraithVaughan

Par Member
Has anyone thrown the Discraft Venom? I picked up a limited edition Z plastic at a local shop, the owner said they are being distributed by Dynamic Discs, and Discraft isn't even selling them in their regular retail collection.

I throw alot of overhand (both thumber and hammer, but get more distance on hammer) The disc is extremely flat and seems to cut threw the air much longer and sail further than any other disc I have used for this throw. Previously I used a flick for most distance shots after using a firebird for years.

After a few rounds I can say that the venom flies much further than the other discs I have been using, before when I was topping out around 300'. Now it is closer to 350'

I was curious if anyone knew why discraft isn't distributing this disc and Dynamic Discs is. Anyone else had any experience with it?

I've thrown it yesterday and it's stable but not as much as a Firebird. Wider rimed than a firebird too. It has really good forward fade than sharp fade like a Firebird. Feels good and was nice. I may get one if I ever go discraft only.

Didn't try it overhand but I can see how it worked well.

I throw overhand a lot also & I have 2 Limited Edition ESP Venoms that are pretty good for overhand throws but I still prefer my Teebird & Firebird so they Venoms aren't in my bag. I'd love to try a Z though, I've always thought a Z Venom would be sweet & now that I know they exist I'll have to try & pick one up. Venoms flip to quick overhand IMO compared to my Firebird.

Venom went OoP during one of the many mass mold purges DC does every 4 or 5 years. I think they felt the Predator and or Avenger filled that need better than the Venom.

DC has round filed many great discs much to our chagrin...

@Fiend:

I loved the firebirds, then moved to the flick, but getting another 50' or so on the venom is well worth it. Not saying you would get the same results but when I first looked at this disc before throwing it I thought, "this is gonna be a deadly overhand." The only thing is it seems to want to release and turn at a slight angle right when I throw overhand, so I have had to adjust my aim a little from my usual OH throws. Just watching it fly it stays vertical in the air much longer than other OH discs I have used and is super fast. The discraft sticker said it was between 173-174g. I would prefer to have one at 175 or 176 but their measurement didn't seem to be exactly accurate.

This is by far the farthest flying OH disc I have ever thrown, outside of an epic, which isn't always accurate or easy to throw. I have been playing for nearly a decade now and have always been looking for the a better disc to throw OH. It seems like they are few and far between but this one definitely soars.

I plan on buying a few more

FWIW, they used to be made in ESP (and Pro-D ...eww). I loved it for awhile, then it broke into flippy, wouldn't stable out ever. I felt they were longer avengers or preds.

Z could be interesting if they don't self destruct like the ESPs did, but I'm long past trying to use them now :)

The discraft sticker said it was between 173-174g. I would prefer to have one at 175 or 176 but their measurement didn't seem to be exactly accurate.

According to the PDGA Technical Standards, the max weight of a Venom is 174.3g.

I've enjoyed mine; bought it on a whim, but everyone I have shows it to really likes it. Go to OS driver and longer utility disc, since I really don't have the power for a Nuke OS or a Stiletto. Mine's a pretty bright yellow Z model. Very sexy.

Anyone who threw them back in the day, or who knows, care to chime in on the actual or estimated Venom flight numbers?

no current thread discussing the venom?!?!? well i got 1 throw with a friend's new esp venom, & i liked it: flew far & straight (didn't get the fade as it landed in a pile of sticks). pretty sure it was stamped 13,5,0,3. not even listed on discraft's website. not gunna seek one out, but how about some more info.

here's some more info from https://1010discs.com/products/discraft-venom?variant=40025654067318
Discraft says this about the Venom: "Drive your fangs into the all-new Venom. This entirely retooled disc is here to stay. That's why our team took everything that works (and nothing that doesn't) about the previous Venom to bring you a reimagined, consistent, overstable maximum distance driver. Fulfilling a need in many players bags, this addition to our lineup will become a favorite amongst power throwers and those looking for a reliable distance driver."

I'm interested to see how similar it is to the hypercane. I never liked the NukeOS, but the hypercane is pretty dope.

I hate it when manufacturers recycle old names when there is an entire dictionary's worth available. Saw someone throw a roughly 500 foot forehand with one of these over the weekend.

I'm interested to see how similar it is to the hypercane. I never liked the NukeOS, but the hypercane is pretty dope.

The 2 that I got were nowhere near nuke os over stable. They fly and feel pretty close to a destroyer. No way these are a 13 speed when compared to a nuke. Rim width is identical to a destroyer. They feel amazing though. Nice dome on the 2 I got. I would put the numbers at 12/5/-.5/3 for the small sample size I've tested.

I hate it when manufacturers recycle old names when there is an entire dictionary's worth available. Saw someone throw a roughly 500 foot forehand with one of these over the weekend.

I don't mind in instances like this where the disc fills the same slot, or is even just a retooled and re-hyped version of the old.

The 2 that I got were nowhere near nuke os over stable. They fly and feel pretty close to a destroyer. No way these are a 13 speed when compared to a nuke. Rim width is identical to a destroyer. They feel amazing though. Nice dome on the 2 I got. I would put the numbers at 12/5/-.5/3 for the small sample size I've tested.

At the same rim size and similar sounding flight numbers, how do you think it compares to a Force? I've always seen the Force as Discraft's OS Destroyer alternative.

Nukes are the max 2.5cm rims. The force, zeus and hurricane are listed by the pdga as 2.3cm. They only have the venom as a 2.2cm. The destroyer also is listed as a 2.2cm. PDGA often does not seem super consistent, but we don't have anything better.

Anyone else got feedback here? I grabbed a couple today and maybe can compare to hypercanes soon. I mainly only use hypercanes for power forehands and backhands in the wind. Hoping these are maybe a tick more mild but doesn't sound like they will be.

The venom has captured my interest. Been perusing the interwebs, in search for something that will bridge the gap between the Trespass and Enforcer, that also maintains that comfortable shallow feel.

Considering things like the Gateway (retooled) Speed Demon, and Elite Z Zeus (they are in stock in places, and seems like they are typically more OS than the ESP, which I thought was a bit flippy of the 4 I tried a while back), and maybe the Clash Salt (listed as a 1.1 depth, but I know that can be misleading—-I'm looking at you Raider…).

Anyone have experience with the Big Z Venom from the Ledg run a couple year back?

The venom has captured my interest. Been perusing the interwebs, in search for something that will bridge the gap between the Trespass and Enforcer, that also maintains that comfortable shallow feel.

the Venom is what I'd describe as a ForceOS. Definitely feels like the same top and fits between a Force and NukeOS. It probably will slot in on the OS side of an Enforcer

Tried a Venom today. This is the newer one (ESP first run), not the super old one. 173-174g. The plastic is nice, and the disc has a big dome.

What a mess. I'm not even really sure what Discraft was trying to accomplish here. The Venom is listed at 13, 5, 0, 3. Calling this thing speed 13 is laughable. It's 11 at best. This disc is SSLLOOOWWW. Even in the hand it feels clunky. Deep rim as well. Head to head against a Garret Gurthie halo Wraith it was slower, shorter, and more overstable. The Wraith turned a little more, held flat longer, and faded later. Wraith was at least 20' longer on every throw.

The Venom flies like a brick, plain and simple. It doesn't glide great despite having a big dome. It's slow and beefy. Honestly, the disc this thing most reminds me of is a proto Kong or a Force. Top distance with the Venom today might have been 390'. To get anything resembling distance out of this disc I had to throw it anny HARD. Even then it wants to fight out of the anny quickly and look for the ground.

Summary: The Venom is an almost ruthlessly overstable disc that flies pretty short for being speed 11. It won't turn, glide well, or penetrate. Out of the hand the disc just wants to fly limply and hyzer out early. I suppose the Venom could work for headwinds or short, accurate hyzer drives. The Venom has a nice dome and feels decent in the hand, but flies way slower than advertised. I'd call this a disc for absolute top tier throwers who want something really overstable.

My main problem with the Venom is that it doesn't distinguish itself in any way. It seems to sit between a Force and Nuke OS in terms of stability. The thing is just so damn slow that it won't even go very far. Overall I found it resoundingly dissatisfying to throw, and the disc doesn't do anything special. I wouldn't bag it.

Venom: 11, 4, 0, 3.5. Slower, less glide, and a hair more fade than advertised flight numbers. Don't pick this thing up expecting big distance or speed. Big miss from Discraft on this one, IMO...

Latest posts