• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc's always "pulling right"

Burky

I've been at it for about a year and a half and hit it hard in March once the weather broke in NE Ohio. I've gotten better at upshots n putting and my scores have dropped because of it. I now have a problem I never dealt with before. I know without a video it will be tough to diagnosis but it seems I'm pulling a lot of shots to the right. Some annhyzer to right but mostly they are pulls. A lot of the time the disc is coming out with left side high and right side low. Sometimes they catch n turn over but mostly it's producing weaker shots then they should. Some thoughts on what could be causing it.

*arm circling around my core instead of "pulling" straight down the line?
*maybe I'm releasing too late n naturally having shot start on the right?
*trying to throw too hard n throwing everything out of wack?
* maybe rolling wrist over and having disc come out right?
*coming through too "high" and having shoulders rotate too much?

Common problem to anyone? I've tried looking around to see if maybe one of those things stands out in the forums but I can't seem to find a thread.

thanks for the quick links. Never knew that the problem was the OAT I've heard about before.

If a disc is thrown with OAT does it always "wobble" because it seems mine hold a nice tight spiral they just go hard right?

not always. that can be more release issues too. It sounds like to me without seeing you throw that you are not staying "closed" enough or throwing planes are out of wack. What discs are you using that this is a problem with?

mostly my tee box discs. Things like my reliable leopard and stingrays all the way up to beasts and valks

mixture. The valk n stingy are beat up dx. The leop i use most often is a star n the beast is a star champion

FWIW -many people have a tendency towards OAT when they're really cranking on the tee to get more distance, thereby unintentionally rolling their wrist on the release. So the part where you say, "mostly my tee box discs" isn't surprising.

Welcome to DG, where whole grain isn't necessarily good for you. ;)

Thanks to aim and all his links I seem to have figured out a couple of my problems. Reading through some of the materials I think my timing was off. One of the links talks about step......step.....Plant... throw. I think I may have been planting and rotating at the same time which I think would lead to pulling a little early and not starting discs on line and having them go hard right. Also I believe my plant foot was not at 90 degrees to the target but rotating open. Then instead of the outside of my foot being perpendicular to the line my toe was pointing left of target. Again I would think this would promote "pulling hard right".

Does anyone have any ideas on if you can get too nose down with the disc. Every now and again I throw a disc that quickly dives into the ground maybe 100 foot of the tee. Could I be a little too nose down or is it more a function of maybe plane of arm going from too high, then too low causing a real low "dead shot". Thanks again for all your help.

Smooth is far. Power, especially at the wrong time, will kill your shots both in terms of distance and accuracy.

Depending on weight of those drivers may need to go heavier or a touchmore stable once oat has been addressed. My beat pro leap is my turnover disc when powered on but flyes much straighter thrown about 80%

Relax. Take a deep breath. Move the disc with your hips and core, not your arm. Whenever I throw to far right instead of straight it almost always because I'm throwing too hard. Messes up timing, rolls your wrist more easily, more prone to grip lock, etc.

It's shocking how little power you need with good technique to throw the disc far.