• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for Distance Anhyzers

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was in Play-it-Again Sports the other day and the dude seemed fairly knowledgeable about discs, but when I asked him what disc he recommended for distance anhyzers he pointed me to the Sidewinder. I told him I thought overstable discs were better for anhyzers, but he disagreed, and now I'm not sure.

Right now I use a Groove for my distance anhyzer because I want something that will fight back to stable to flatten out near the end for some extra glide and a soft landing. Whenever I try an understable disc they usually won't flatten out and land on an edge, which doesn't get as much distance and then the line sucks cause it will roll off to the left.

So I guess my question for y'all is do you prefer overstable, stable, or understable discs for distance anhyzers? I consider the Groove to be stable and that's what I get the most distance out of on that type of shot, so that's what I'm going with.

Another weird thing is that I have an Orc, which has a more overstable rating than the Groove, yet for me the Orc flies much straighter/further (on a flat throw) before breaking left and they're both about the same amount of "beat-in." Anyone know why this would be?

The reason your Orc flys straighter longer is because of the lower speed rating. An easier throw will get the Orc to act according to the flight characteristics claimed by Innova. It will take a much stronger throw for your Groove to act similarly. As for long Anny shots stick to what you're comfortable with. Generally for anny shots people use understable discs like the Sidewinder. If you have trouble with them making contact with the ground before they flatten out, then try throwing a little higher. The added altitude will give the disc time to hyser back. Hope that helps.

3 words.....roadrunner, roadrunner, roadrunner

its the most consistant anhyzer disc i've ever used and its so reliable for shots over 300 ft with a right curve. LHFH or RHBH

I was in Play-it-Again Sports the other day and the dude seemed fairly knowledgeable about discs, but when I asked him what disc he recommended for distance anhyzers he pointed me to the Sidewinder. I told him I thought overstable discs were better for anhyzers, but he disagreed, and now I'm not sure.

Right now I use a Groove for my distance anhyzer because I want something that will fight back to stable to flatten out near the end for some extra glide and a soft landing. Whenever I try an understable disc they usually won't flatten out and land on an edge, which doesn't get as much distance and then the line sucks cause it will roll off to the left.

So I guess my question for y'all is do you prefer overstable, stable, or understable discs for distance anhyzers? I consider the Groove to be stable and that's what I get the most distance out of on that type of shot, so that's what I'm going with.

Another weird thing is that I have an Orc, which has a more overstable rating than the Groove, yet for me the Orc flies much straighter/further (on a flat throw) before breaking left and they're both about the same amount of "beat-in." Anyone know why this would be?

You have the throw the Groove harder to make it work.

If you are throwing the disc with anhyzer angle you want a more stable to over stable disc as you are right becasue the understability of the others discs will cause that throw to become a roller, which if controlled could be amazing. If not you loose your favorite understable disc in a lake like I did. It cut hard left on me and it was supposed to flatten out more than it did, but I could not go too far left or I was in the pond anyways so stable to over stable was not an option either.

Here is something that I think more people need to get straight in their heads, and please correct me if I am wrong on this. The terms Hyzer and Anhyzer refer to the angle that you release your disc at, not what happens during the flight of the disc. It is not called a Hyzer-Anhyzer shot, but a Hyzer Flip shot. The flip of the disc is refered to as the turn and at the end of the flight a disc fades, it is not refered to as Hyzer or Anhyzer.

Some of my biggest drives come from throwing my overstable boss anhyzer, also my destroyer. However, last time I played I threw my Beast (understable) with a huge hyzer angle and it flipped past flat and started flying to the right (rhbh) and then faded a little at the end. I also threw it high enough that it had time in the air to work. I think it went atleast 350'. It started turning right after about 150'. I can't wait to go out to the practice field and try this shot again.

Nah, I'm RHBH.
Gotcha. Now I understand what you're saying.

Here is something that I think more people need to get straight in their heads, and please correct me if I am wrong on this. The terms Hyzer and Anhyzer refer to the angle that you release your disc at, not what happens during the flight of the disc.
Hyzer and anhyzer can refer to both the angle of release and the type of shot.

It is not called a Hyzer-Anhyzer shot, but a Hyzer Flip shot. The flip of the disc is refered to as the turn and at the end of the flight a disc fades, it is not referred to as Hyzer or Anhyzer.
That fade turn at the end of the flight is indeed called hyzering. All disc flights have some degree of this in them unless they strike the ground or an object before the flight gets to this point. For overstable discs it is simply more pronounced, all other variables being equal.

Also a hyzer-flip shot involves taking an understable disc and releasing it hard at a hyzer angle to make it turn over or flip and achieve a straight result for maximum distance. What Skurf described above is just the opposite. Taking an overstable disc and releasing it at an anhyzer angle and letting the discs stability carry it back. This is called a hyzer-flex, or an s-curve. Much like the hyzer-flip it is intended to do the same thing.

In all of this of course, everything is a matter of degrees and there are a great number of variables that can affect the results of a disc flight. Discs are not always consistent within their mold specifications. People have different sizes of hands, length of arms, and abilities to get a particular disc up to its intended cruise speed. Its as much about the archer, as the arrow, if not more. Like dstearns5 stated, in the end, you have to do what works for you.

Some of my biggest drives come from throwing my overstable boss anhyzer, also my destroyer. However, last time I played I threw my Beast (understable) with a huge hyzer angle and it flipped past flat and started flying to the right (rhbh) and then faded a little at the end. I also threw it high enough that it had time in the air to work. I think it went atleast 350'. It started turning right after about 150'. I can't wait to go out to the practice field and try this shot again.

That "Beast of a throw" would be the hyzer flip that's been mentioned on here.

I still have no clue how to throw a hyzer flip becuase when I throw a hyzer angle...it goes hyzer LOL...but anyways, as for a good anny disc I use my avenger SS for a anhyzer and make sure I make it sorta high so it can have some glide to it and not dig into the ground and maybe get a skip instead...but it depends on the hole...

I still have no clue how to throw a hyzer flip becuase when I throw a hyzer angle...it goes hyzer LOL...but anyways, as for a good anny disc I use my avenger SS for a anhyzer and make sure I make it sorta high so it can have some glide to it and not dig into the ground and maybe get a skip instead...but it depends on the hole...

It took me a good while to understnad the concept and to actually learn how to throw the hyzer flip intentionally. I probably had thrown some unintentionally and not realized it.

I first learned the shot with a 150g Champion Sidewinder. As my RHBH technique improved, I started turning it to the right when I threw it flat... I didn't even realize that this is what the disc was supposed to do. From there, I tried throwing it with the hyzer release and found that it did the hyzer flip for me. I've worked up to doing this with my 150g Champion Valkyrie now and it's a nice shot to have in my bag.

hmm interesting..well im just starting to work on my pull...I actually got a few comments from some of the guys I was teamed up with (they do A pool with a B pool) and the A pool guys gave me good comments...so i was pretty happy after I ripped my sidewinder about 350' :)...one of the guys said it took him 2-3 years just to get where im at now haha

The hyzer flip shot

You can't just use any disc for a hyzer flip. Take a disc that when you throw it flat it likes to turn to the right (rhbh), then release it with a slight hyzer angle. You will have to experiment to see what the correct hyzer angle is for the disc you are using and the power that you are putting into it (more power means you need a bigger angle and a more understable disc needs a bigger angle). What you are looking for is a disc that comes out looking like it is going to go hard left, but mysteriously rotates up to a flat level flight, which results in a fairly long straight drive with little to no fade at the end. The hyzer release angle basically cancels out disc's normal turn to the right. If you do not use a big enough hyzer angle, the disc's normal turn to the right will not be completely canceled out, and you will end up with a disc that goes fairly straight for the first half of its flight, then starts to turn slowly to the right for a long gentle right hand turn of a shot. It is a very nice shot to have in your bag.

I typically use a discraft meteor, an innova leopard, or a really beat in innova pro wraith for my hyzer flip shots

Taking an overstable disc and releasing it at an anhyzer angle and letting the discs stability carry it back. This is called a hyzer-flex, or an s-curve. Much like the hyzer-flip it is intended to do the same thing.

That's not exactly what I mean. What I'm talking about is when you release at such an angle where the disc stays on the anhyzer angle for around ~80% of it's flight path and then flattens out and goes straight for the last ~20% of its airtime. So this is going to be a shot that goes far right of the direction you initially release it in, whereas I consider the hyzer-flex to be more of a straightish shot.

Hole 1 at East Metro Park would be a good example of this:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2645&mode=ci
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• em-any1.jpg
    em-any1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 95
  • em-any2.jpg
    em-any2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 137
Distance shots are tricky. You want a disc that will hold a anhyzer/turnover without crashing into the ground, will fight to fade out of that turnover but not fade too hard. If you have the means, try out something a bit slower that's still stable like a Z Avenger, SOLF or Champ/Star Starfire-X.

Am I mistaken to say you have to have a lot of power or snap to be able to throw an overstable disc like a destroyer (Rating 0) or wraith (Rating -1) on an anhyzer line and get it to work. If you dont have a lot of power something like a roadrunner (Rating -3) or sidewinder (Rating -4).

However it also depends on if you want it to come back or continue anyhzering to the right. The reason I ask this is because you said for distance. Is it something you want to continue going right the whole way? or it it something you simply want distance out of. I am able to throw my valkyrie fairly flat almost as far as an anhyzer with my destroyer, simply because I dont have the snap yet to power the Destroyer enough!

now that i wrote that i read some more of the posts and see you mostly want it to stay going right and then straighten out. I would recommend a valkyrie if you have a lot of snap, or if you are newer like me a roadrunner, or if you are slightly below average in snap use a roadrunner, and if you are new, get yourself a stingray, it wont go nearly as far as the others but will hold an anhyzer line until it flattens out and drops down.

This is hole #15 at my home course "River Grove Park" in Kingwood, TX. It is a complete 90 degree turn to the right, and then its another 190 ft to the basket. If you dont quite make the turn, you either hit that large tree, or you end up in the think woods on the other side of the fairway. I put a line showing the route you disc needs to make:

Hole15annyline.jpg